X

Honda Debuts MC Airbag today...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda Debuts MC Airbag today...

(in case you don't recall, I told you this was coming back in early August -- see http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1149)

CNet story:

Honda on Thursday announced a new motorcycle airbag system. It includes crash sensors that monitor acceleration changes and an electronic control unit that calculates when a collision is occuring. The system will be installed in Honda's new Gold Wing motorcycles and is scheduled for release in the U.S. in the late spring of 2006.

CNet Gadgets Blog entry on the same:

Honda Motor on Thursday took the wraps off its first airbag designed to protect motorcyclists in the event of a crash.

The airbag will come standard on its new Gold Wing motorcycle, which is scheduled for release in late spring of 2006 in the U.S., and eventually in Europe and Japan.

The airbag module sits between the handlebars and inflates if the four sensors that monitor the bike detect a front-end crash. Honda has been working on the design as part of its Advanced Safety Vehicle (ASV) project since 1990. The company said the airbag could drastically reduce head injuries.

During a press conference in Tokyo, Honda executives said their airbag works best in a straight-angle frontal collision up to 31 mph.

The company said it plans to offer the airbag on more motorcycles in the future, but started with the Gold Wing because of design restrictions on other models.

For example, the motorcycle needs to be heavy enough so the driver does not get thrown off the bike and over the airbag. The airbag would not fit on Honda's more sporty models, which require riders to lean forward over the handlebars.

Honda did not say how much the airbag would add to the cost of the motorcycle. The current edition 1800cc Gold Wing is Honda's largest motorcycle and starts at $18,600. The company said it sold 12,000 units in North America last year, 1,600 in Europe and 270 in Japan.

Airbags for motorcyclists in their various forms are not new. MotoAir in Taiwan and Halo Labs have developed an airbag system for motorcyclists that fits inside a jacket.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

I don't even unerstand how this thing would work. I mean if you have a head on collison wouldn't you just fly over the top of the airbag anyway?

Comment

Oh great now the government will mandate all new manufactured bikes to have them......

Comment

Originally posted by blacksheep
        I don't even unerstand how this thing would work. I mean if you have a head on collison wouldn't you just fly over the top of the airbag anyway?
        They mention that in the article. The bike has to be heavy enough so the ride will not just be thrown over the top.

Originally posted by iwannadie
        [or it bounces you backwards or worse. you bounce upwards off it sending you higher up. a better thing would been a side curtain style air bag that would protect your legs if you lay it down. but even then it would be a case of more harm than its worth. just another gimmick to try and make bikes look safer.
        You do not bounce off of an air bag. When you hit the air bag the bag releases the gas inside of the bag. It acts as a damper because the gas is not all released at once.

Comment

My guess is that the system (using four sensors, one each mounted inside and outside of each front fork) will deploy at speeds between about 12 mph and 65 mph in the event of a head-on collision. I doubt the system will deploy at speeds over 65 or so, but I don't have all the details yet.

The problem on bikes like the gold wing (totally upright, heavy-touring) is that the bike being quite heavy doesn't tend to catapult the rider, but instead usually causes him to bend at the waist and smack his chin into the steering stem (which in turn causes brain damage at the spinal cord connection).

You can find more technical info here:
          http://world.honda.com/news/2005/2050908.html and http://world.honda.com/MotorcycleAirbag/

Some sample pics:

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

From those diagrams, it looks like it inflates high enough to actually help keep you from flying over the bike.. or atleast slow you down considerably.

Comment

great find Cyber, that is very intrigueing <spelling>, I am very interested in other words. A new product for a M/C that I can learn about!!
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Thaz, if you want something else fresh from the Honda labs, here you go:

Honda completes development of ASV-3 (Advanced Safety Vehicles initiative #3), a five year study of how to make vehicles (including motorcycles) safer.

The study includes the following motorcycle changes:
                use of the "FACE" design in frontal design of motorcycles to improve car driver recognition of motorcycles (the human brain being pre-wired to recognize facial shapes and expression faster than most other shapes);
                use of the LONG design, where lights are added at different heights on the motorcycle to improve on-coming driver's accurate conception of the speed of approaching motorcycles (such as adding two sets of white LED running lights on the front, one at the forks, another as high as feasible). This was shows to improve oncoming driver's distance assessment by 10% and speed assesment by 20%. Basically the same concept as what I have been preaching for years by trying to get users to put emergency-grade reflective tape on their forks for visibility, but using active lighting instead.
                use of intelligent camera monitoring systems to warn riders via helmet inputs to unsafe intersections (where vehicles crossing are not stopping), etc.
                active rear view camera & dash display, to improve rearward vision and blind-spot vision.
                Honda's parallel to On-Star without any extra "where's the closest resteraunt" bells and whistles -- just emergency location and dispatch for down'd riders.

PS - I think this graphic is hillarious because of the bar in the back coming up over the passenger position:

For other cool R&D insights from Honda MC, see
                http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-technology/

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That is kewl but Yamaha is also working on a M/C heads up, HD uses a Garmin quest as a option and mp3 left hand control on the 06. Great stuff and I will be looking at those links when I have more time. Thanx Cyber
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

use of intelligent camera monitoring systems to warn riders via helmet inputs to unsafe intersections (where vehicles crossing are not stopping), etc.
                    active rear view camera & dash display, to improve rearward vision and blind-spot vision.
                    Those 2 are especially interesting.. being able to have a heads up of oncoming bad situations would be so ideal!

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                      HD -- mp3 left hand control on the 06.
                      Q: Got any more info on the MP3 left hand control? I'm wondering if it could be mod'd to work with other bikes...

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I would really love a rearview for my bike. I can't see crap behind me!

Hmmm.........
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Lou, I'm sure I could sell you one... I don't know if prices have dropped, but they were around $850 last time I checked (8 months ago when they first rolled out the ones I'm thinking of), including screen and all-weather under-tail camera set-up. I'd guess they'll now be closer to $450 or $500.

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            Originally posted by THAZKAT
                            HD -- mp3 left hand control on the 06.
                            Q: Got any more info on the MP3 left hand control? I'm wondering if it could be mod'd to work with other bikes...

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            No, right hand control's. http://www.harley-davidson.com/brows...bmLocale=en_US

Also for 06 they have a integrated Mp3 for the radio and many other accessories for the new radio
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            Who knows what is next?

Comment

I put more stock in the inflating vest/neckbrace idea as long as it doesmt feel too cumbersome.

Comment

Working...
                              X