No announcement yet.
X

gsx 600 out of control idle and stall?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gsx 600 out of control idle and stall?

I have a 91 GSX 600 and I can get it to start and with some adjustment keep it running without the choke on.....But it will stall after a while and wants to stall when coming to a stop.

I cleaned the carbs and replaced the idle jets. I didn't know if this could be a compression problem or a coil problem?

The previous own did say it ran funny when it would rain....to me that says coils but I would like if anyone could give a little advice.....Thank you very much if you can.

my 91 katana does the same! and i also did a carb cleaning... watching..

Comment

My first check would be...

Pull on the plug wires, if they come off the boots... clip them back by about 1", and screw the boots back on. Also replace the plugs if you have not recently.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Sorry to thread jack but I changed my plugs today and the bike doesn't stall when coming to a stop anymore but after sitting at a stop for a few seconds the rpms will drop low and the engine will start to bog

Comment

My bike does that bog thing at stop lights. It seems to me like the float bowls are loading up and need to be cleared? I'm not a mechanic so maybe I dont know what I'm saying? I just turn the throttle alittle to keep it cleared out and then it idles fine alittle longer. I just keep repeating the process every so often. It works for me. Try it and see if it will for you.
          My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

yea man i blip it consistently to keep it on but i'd rather not worry about my bike dying on me haha. any other possibilities?
            Last edited by dmurk1; 04-28-2010, 11:52 PM.

Comment

My bike bogs/rough idles quite a bit for the first 5-10 minutes im riding (depending on temp).

Comment

i get the same here, it will idle fine but when i start riding and come to a light it drops down to about 4-500 rpm and will die sometimes i also cleaned out the carbs. Im thinking they all need to be synced together. Thats the only real conclusion i keep coming up with

Comment

Originally posted by dmurk1 View Post
                  yea man i blip it consistently to keep it on but i'd rather not worry about my bike dying on me haha. any other possibilities?
                  Yeah, fuel injection
                  A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                  mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

or Mega Squirt
                  Dont know if there is a thread for that one?
                  Synching the carbs sounds good tho, and cheaper than F.I. However, I like F.I because if what I believe is true then when it comes time to upgrade to a bigger motor or a turbo (turbos will blow a carb apart from what I've read ) I will have the fuel portion mostly covered. But like I said, I'm not a mechanic.
                  Last edited by katanarider; 04-29-2010, 08:31 PM.
                  My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Originally posted by jiver06 View Post
                    The previous own did say it ran funny when it would rain....to me that says coils but I would like if anyone could give a little advice.....Thank you very much if you can.
                    That implies a problem from the coils to the plugs. If you drive in the rain and water gets up into the head cover area, the water will turn to steam. That steam can go into the plug caps and give you strange sparking.
                    Using some sort of an auxillary gas tank (like when you synch the carbs) use that to run the bike in a dark garage at night and look for a "light show", electrical arcing. If you don't see one, one at a time, remove a spark plug cap off and put a fresh or known good plug in it, and place on the engine. Run the bike and watch for electrical arcing from the side of the cap itself. WHen the caps get old, they can devolope cracks which can cause arcing. if that is the case, you can get new oem caps for $20 each, NGK caps from DK for like $8 that are a bit too short but still work, or you can do the cheap thing and wrap the cap with electrical tape and call it a day.

Comment

I checked the plug wire set up and the kid who had it apart before I bought it put them on in the wrong firing order. It runs and sound a little better but it will still die when I come to a stop and I have to unscrew the Idle stop screw until it will run again. After I do this I have to keep the choke on and give it a little gas to keep it running. I need to get new plugs but not sure what to do after that.

Comment

mine is doing the same thing sorta i think the carbs need to be synced together

Comment

major update! my bike's idle was getting progressively worse and the backfire was ridiculous so i bit the bullet and bought fuel injector cleaner (the kind you pour into your gas tank at my local pep boys (injector cleaner works on carbs too) and after romping on it for a few miles having introduced the additive, idle was restored and i could ride without using the choke!
                          I'm going to use another bottle on my next full tank just to be thorough.

Comment

Working...
                          X