X

Legal lights on motorcycle

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a local Police Officer told me for NC:

Any color is fine, but no flashing/pulsing/strobing.

Also cannot have Blue lights on the Front (facing the front, like head lights) or on the rear (tail lights).
    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
      Bring the bike down homie. We will have an illegal LED party with wires, splicers, coronas, wire strippers, coronas, butt splices, coronas, some wire thing a ma jig, cooooorrrrrrrrrooooooooonnnnnassss, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

LOL
      Ahhh, yeaaahhh. You had me at coronas. For a sec, I got double excited, didn't see the word before strippers.

-Remember, this only applies to NYC and not the rest of the state. I will check Westlaw at a later time to see if it differs by jurisdiction or statewide as NYC generally enforces tougher legislation than the rest of the state and I'll post it up for an FYI.
      -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
      sigpic

Comment

NYS Vehicle & Traffic Law cont.

Well, this sucks for me since I purchased the blue from Joe. Oh well.

Article 9 - (375 - 383) EQUIPMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES AND MOTORCYCLES

section 381

subsection 3-

3. Except as hereinafter provided, only a white or yellow light shall be displayed upon a motorcycle so as to be visible from a point directly in front of the vehicle. Any color light, except blue, may be displayed, so as to be visible from a point directly in front of the vehicle, on a police vehicle or on a motorcycle operated by a sheriff or regular deputy sheriff when engaged in the performance of duty as a police officer. Any color light, including blue, may be displayed, so as to be visible from a point directly in front of the vehicle, on a motorcycle operated by a chief or assistant chief of a fire department, a county or deputy county fire coordinator, or a county or assistant county fire marshal. A blue light may be displayed upon a motorcycle, so as to be visible from a point directly in front of the vehicle, when operated by an active volunteer member of a fire department or company duly authorized as hereinafter provided, and while such vehicle is in use for fire or other emergency service. No volunteer fireman shall be permitted to display a blue light upon a motorcycle as hereinbefore provided except while actually enroute to the scene of a fire or other emergency requiring his services and unless he shall be an active volunteer member of a fire department or company and shall have been authorized in writing to so display a blue light by the chief of the fire department or company of which he is a member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the chief who issued the same, or his
        successor in office.
        -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
        sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I was going to state that when everyone says what is leagl or illeagl for thier state they should post where it states it in the motor vehicle code. This way no one is passing off what someone heard or was told, excluding LEOs since they should know.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

From the SC Code of Laws: SECTION 56-5-170. Authorized emergency vehicles.
            (B) Only authorized emergency vehicles and private security patrol vehicles regulated by the State Law Enforcement Division are allowed use or display of any blue lights or red lights. This includes light bars and smaller lights such as dash, deck, or visor lights. To "display" means to be seen, whether activated or not.

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
              I shoudl drive into NYC with my lights blasting. I think they could only tell me to turn them off as I am from PA and legal in my state...

Might wanna double check that- when you're in a state you abide by their laws, not your home state. The cop may use discretion & give you a warning, but he'd be backed by the law to ticket you. The same would apply for windshield tints, use of radar detectors, amount of time allowed for registering your vehicle in a state you just moved to, emissions/safety inspections, etc..

It may be legal to wear a dildo on your head in Vegas, but you'd get picked up by Sheriff Rosco P Coltrane down in Hazzard County for sure.
              Last edited by clark827; 02-20-2010, 05:42 PM.
              sigpic
              "Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike." Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by dougyfresh View Post
                anyone know about wisconsin laws. and what colors. been wanting to put lights on it but not sure if its legal.
                It's only white or amber to the front, only red or amber(only turn signals can be amber) to the rear (white to the rear for backup lights only).
                Side lights must be amber in the front and red in the rear.

AFAIK, it only applies to lights that are lit (you can have anything you want on the vehicle, as long as it isn't lit up).

Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Code:http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0347.pdf

Wisconsin laws are pretty strict and the cops are too.

Comment

Originally posted by clark827 View Post
                  Might wanna double check that- when you're in a state you abide by their laws, not your home state.
                  That's not entirely true. No state can place undue burden on vehicle owners to comply with their state vehicle code. Whether the LEDs would be chalked up like this is another matter. It certainly works for window tint, though! (nobody can expect you to remove your window tint whenever you want to pass through a state that doesn't allow it)

There is a good example in Bibb vs Navajo Freight Lines, a US Supreme Court case.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                    That's not entirely true. No state can place undue burden on vehicle owners to comply with their state vehicle code. Whether the LEDs would be chalked up like this is another matter. It certainly works for window tint, though! (nobody can expect you to remove your window tint whenever you want to pass through a state that doesn't allow it)

There is a good example in Bibb vs Navajo Freight Lines, a US Supreme Court case.
                    While the Commerce Clause does protect people traveling to some degree, it isn't infallible.

STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA v. STEVEN LEE SCHIFFER

Windshield tint for a FL registered car driving in NC was sufficient cause for pulling the vehicle over, and then they found drugs, BUT, he was also cited for illegal windshield tint. What was legal in FL wasn't legal in NC, and the guy got busted for both charges.
                    sigpic
                    "Character, in the long run, is the decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike." Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

While the Commerce Clause does protect people traveling to some degree, it isn't infallible.

STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA v. STEVEN LEE SCHIFFER

Windshield tint for a FL registered car driving in NC was sufficient cause for pulling the vehicle over, and then they found drugs, BUT, he was also cited for illegal windshield tint. What was legal in FL wasn't legal in NC, and the guy got busted for both charges.
                      I would call that an exceptional case. I think they were more going after having just cause to pull the guy over...... had this simply been a case of somebody fighting a window tint ticket that far, the outcome would probably have been different. Nobody is going to let the drug charges slide on a technicality like that. Besides, windshield tint could theoretically be considered a safety issue. It may also have counted that windshield tinting isn't legal anywhere, not even florida. The AS-1 line is standard across the country- above it, tint all you want, below it, no tint is allowed.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Thanks Joe

Comment

Might wanna double check that- when you're in a state you abide by their laws, not your home state. The cop may use discretion & give you a warning, but he'd be backed by the law to ticket you. The same would apply for windshield tints, use of radar detectors, amount of time allowed for registering your vehicle in a state you just moved to, emissions/safety inspections, etc..

It may be legal to wear a dildo on your head in Vegas, but you'd get picked up by Sheriff Rosco P Coltrane down in Hazzard County for sure.
                          Sorry mte but the most they could do to me is ask me to turn them off. Since it is legal in PA and is an installed device they cant do much about it.

Interesting you brought up radar detectors. Legally speaking you are allowed to have them in your vehicle NO MATTER what the state, county, city, ect says. The FCC has ruled it as such and the feds trump any local laws. Virgina is the only state to still have that law on the books and it looks to be repealed.
                          I am a Penn State fanatic.
                          Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Working...
                          X