X

Katana keeps falling over Help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana keeps falling over Help!

I love my 2001 750 Katana but it has fallen over twice now. The first time I noticed that the kickstand needed to be oiled as maybe it wasn't comming down all the way. So I replaced the clutch lever and other than a scape down the left side I was on my way. So the other day I started it in my driveway and I stood there a few moments and adjusted the choke. I walked away only to hear an awful crash a minute later. The dam thing just fell over. Granted there is a slight down slope to my driveway but this is my 10th motorcycle and Ive never had this problem with a bike before. What gives? This time the left engine cover cracked and the oil all came out of it. I tried to straighten the bent clutch lever back and it broke too. Absolutely amazingly the the plastic cowl did not crack. I don't se anything obvious causing this and I don'y know how many more times it can fall over before something really expensive gets damaged. Thank God I was at home and not 3 or 4 hours away on a ride. That would have been really bad. Any suggestions?
    Larry

Originally posted by larenm123 View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Larry
    Never leave the bike in neutral, facing down a slope, on the kick stand. This is especially true if you have anythign that could cause vibrations, like the motor running. I can assure you, it will fall over everytime.

Seriously, always park with the front pointed up the hill... if your bike has been lowered any at all, you need to adjust the kickstand as well. Neutral and Kickstand are not good things to use together unless your with the bike, or have taken precautions to prevent it from rolling.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

this happened to me ONCE...and aside form all the advice Krey just gave, i modified my kickstand stop to allow a more forward kickstand angle.

basically, measure 2mm in from the very bottom of the stop where the sidestand rests when down.
      draw a line up to the indent, so a slim triangle shape is there.
      use a dremel cutoff wheel and carefully cut that slim triangle out.
      Paint or otherwise refinish that bare metal area to prevent rust.

this small modification will give the bike a more agressive lean into the sidestand, and prevents accidental rolloffs.

keep the pivot bolt area well greased.

I've not even had a hint of accidental moment since i did this.

See My Garage for mods...
      T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
      Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Funny, that's the FIRST thing I noticed about my pre. It fell over twice the first day I had it. Luckily the PO had done this too and the plastics were already scratched and cracked. I've had 4 other bikes and never had one so prone to falling over. I make sure I turn the bars to the left when it's parked now, to give a little extra lean. But I have to really be careful when getting gas, it almost fell again the other day but I caught it.

Comment

My Katana fell off the kickstand all the time. I got used to pulling the bike back by the handlebars a bit to make sure the kickstand was all the way out.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
            My Katana fell off the kickstand all the time. I got used to pulling the bike back by the handlebars a bit to make sure the kickstand was all the way out.

Comment

Yeah- it just becomes a habit. I'd get off, pull back with my foot behind it and then give the stand a good kick forward just to be double certain.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
              -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

I disregard the side stand all together, and just drop/throw my bike to the ground.
                ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                Semper Fi

Comment

He does...it's true. Rolls to a stop, dumps it and goes in the store for coffee. Combined with his spastic colon, it's quite embarrassing to ride with him.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                  -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

It's not a spastic colon. I have irritable bowel syndrome. Stop making fun of my condition.
                    ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                    チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                    Semper Fi

Comment

I always put mine up on the center stand ever since I learned on KR how to use it with ease. No worries about my gravel driveway, and no worries with letting the bike warm up when I'm not right beside it.
                      "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Mine has fallen over 3 times
                        All while sitting at the gas pumps and usually just after filling it.

Ive gotten into the habit of putting it in gear and rolling it ahead until it stops before putting down the kick stand
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Park in gear ALWAYS. I dropped mine like that right after fresh paint in a culvers parking lot...how embarrassing....

Comment

Next time it Might explode haha jk maybe but I always give my stand an extra kicks forward
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                              this happened to me ONCE...and aside form all the advice Krey just gave, i modified my kickstand stop to allow a more forward kickstand angle.

basically, measure 2mm in from the very bottom of the stop where the sidestand rests when down.
                              draw a line up to the indent, so a slim triangle shape is there.
                              use a dremel cutoff wheel and carefully cut that slim triangle out.
                              Paint or otherwise refinish that bare metal area to prevent rust.

this small modification will give the bike a more agressive lean into the sidestand, and prevents accidental rolloffs.

keep the pivot bolt area well greased.

I've not even had a hint of accidental moment since i did this.
                              +10000 This is ABSOLUTELY the correct way to fix the problem!
                              THE DOC
                              RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                              Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                              mistake when you make it again.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X