X

What oil are you using in your kat? I need a lesson in Oil

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
    Nothing to sweat, better than having her put 2 quarts of anti-freeze in there!
    Or washer fluid

Originally posted by 600toStart View Post
    My gf put 2 quarts of synthetic in her truck on accident. Nothing bad has happened yet but I thought I'd ask... (Sorry for the thread jack..)
    Nothing bad will happen, don't worry.
    Last edited by loudnlow7484; 02-01-2010, 02:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by DreKat View Post
      I buy my oil and filter from the dealer every year.
      you will hate to see what the basic oil is that dealerships use.
      they buy Bulk drums from Shell and petro-canada and its the cheapest **** out there and usually not JASO MA rated. you can get the same stuff from the dollar store.
      The oil will work well for the engine, its the same as anyother group I oil
      Afterall the more work you give them changing clutches and what not, the more money you give them in the long run.
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
        Or washer fluid

Nothing bad will happen, don't worry.
        Thanks guys.
        I invite you to church.

Comment

Dealerships nikle n dime people to sh*t, if they were smart they'd not do that and thy would be amazed at how many more clientele they gain
          For sale thread Album
          1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

I have been using Repsol 4T semi-synthetic: https://imagenes.repsol.com/es_en/4T...cm11-94410.pdf

Anyone else use this?
            The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

Comment

no problems with mixing synthetic with regular oil...

all it does is make it a synthetic blend like any group II oil
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

Comment

i just picked up rotella about 10 minutes ago. i ran accrossed it on my CBR forum and read every thread on it, with out finding one complaint about it. i couldnt even find anyone who said they switched back after using it. so i decided to search it here out of curiosity and i see a lot of people are using it.

FYI: it doesnt say "motorcycle oil" on the bottle, because its used in diesel engines, but someone said that shell came out and said its fine to use in motorcycles...so maybe eventually they will market it towards us
                99 katana 600- sold, but not forgotten
                06 yamaha yzf600r- down for the count
                06 Honda CBR 600rr- current bike
                lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks i am

Comment

Originally posted by delkampg View Post
                  i just picked up rotella about 10 minutes ago. i ran accrossed it on my CBR forum and read every thread on it, with out finding one complaint about it. i couldnt even find anyone who said they switched back after using it. so i decided to search it here out of curiosity and i see a lot of people are using it.

FYI: it doesnt say "motorcycle oil" on the bottle, because its used in diesel engines, but someone said that shell came out and said its fine to use in motorcycles...so maybe eventually they will market it towards us
                  Don't get hung up on it being "Diesel oil"....it simply doesn't have the friction modifiers that car oils use (mpg enhancing / reduce friction) which leaves it safe for wet clutches and motorcycles.

Comment

As for the comment of motor oil being compared to religion, I agree, BUT there are two key factors here that is being missed ~ use and conditions.

I think some of you guys are wasting money on oil. Are you bouncing your engine off the rev limiter for every ride, are you riding in extreme temperatures?

I have been running the dino suzuki bottled stuff from the dealer and I change it very regularly, around 3000-4000Km. I doubt I will ever have a problem. But I only hit the rev limiter once in a while and I don't ride in heavy traffic and extreme heat. I think that suzuki oil is sufficient for me and probably 50% of other riders out there.

Running Amsoil just because you are fussy is good, but are you getting your money's worth is all I am asking.

Also filters make a huge difference, only run OEM from suzuki.

Here's how I roll: change your oil often and never buy cheap no name oil or non-OEM filters, If you need extreme, definitely run synthetic, nuff said.

Jet

Comment

Well, I have about 300 miles on The rotella T Syn 5W40 oil.. I just did a 180 mile day long ride with my buddies, after just going to work after the oil change. No issues whatsoever.
                      I have no complaints, bike seems to rev quicker, it runs smoother, Shifts smoother. And lastly warms up faster.. Now Part of it may be just me, lol.. I have no complaints and I will continue to use it..
                      2001 Kawasaki zx1100

2000 Kat 750, in 600 Yellow. (GONE but not forgotten)

Bike pics link: http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/smitty600/

Comment

Originally posted by delkampg View Post

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                        Yes and I want to add that their biggest market is the heavy diesel industry. They are afraid if they label it "motorcycle oil" it will scare off the big diesel clients. Purely a marketing ploy.
                        Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                        As I said, they got it JASO-MA rated...... but no, they still don't call it motorcycle oil. It was designed for diesel trucks, and that's what they market it for. I think they bothered to get it JASO-MA rated simply because so many people use it in motorcycles, it would calm down the question of whether or not it was ok to use it.
                        Exactly
                        Last edited by kevin2502000; 02-04-2010, 12:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Yup. 15w40 Rotella T is some good stuff.

And no, I haven't heard of anyone switching back either. Kinda funny you mentioned that...
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmerritt View Post
                            As for the comment of motor oil being compared to religion, I agree, BUT there are two key factors here that is being missed ~ use and conditions.

I think some of you guys are wasting money on oil. Are you bouncing your engine off the rev limiter for every ride, are you riding in extreme temperatures?

I have been running the dino suzuki bottled stuff from the dealer and I change it very regularly, around 3000-4000Km. I doubt I will ever have a problem. But I only hit the rev limiter once in a while and I don't ride in heavy traffic and extreme heat. I think that suzuki oil is sufficient for me and probably 50% of other riders out there.

Running Amsoil just because you are fussy is good, but are you getting your money's worth is all I am asking.

Also filters make a huge difference, only run OEM from suzuki.

Here's how I roll: change your oil often and never buy cheap no name oil or non-OEM filters, If you need extreme, definitely run synthetic, nuff said.

Jet
                            funny you should mention waisting $$ because oils like Yamalube, Honda oil and suzuki oil are some of the biggest rip offs.
                            For instance yamalube 4 stroke oils dist here in canada is supplied by Suncor, corp. (Sunoco and Petro canada) in the US it was Torco and Motorex overseas etc
                            Honda oil up until a lil while ago was made and manufactured by Kendal.(might still be) unlike the myth that repsol is...

So why buy cheap oil from the dealer when you can go down to your local gastation or hardware store and by the same thing in a different package for $2-$3 a bottle.

Any oil will keep these bikes running for a very long time and providing its cleaned and changed often you should never have any issues. But for us mechanics that actually tear these engines apart on a regular basis its pretty easy to tell the difference between an engine that ran regular oil VS group III oil and or group IV V synthetic lubes.
                            take two bikes like my 98...
                            one run 70,000k on regular oil
                            the other on synthetic like Amsoil or redline.

With regular oil these are just some of the areas you will notice a big difference ,as in more wear, larger cleanaces etc ... most common... chances are it has had a clutch replacement or two, clutch basket notching and grooving, internal corrosion, sludge and gum deposits, valave stem/guide wear, combustion chamber carbon build up, cam wear, cam chain tentioner assy wear/siezed, worn cam gears, chain. lower compression, carbon build up on ring lands, bearing and seat wear, main gear slop, chipped or rounded engagement dogs, shift drum/fork scrubbing/wear.

So sure the engine still runs fine but compare that to an engine with far less wear, little or no carbon build up, higher oil pressure, cooler operating temps, higher compression, etc.
                            overtime you are missing out on usable hp.

keep it clean and tight and it will sound like new, perform better much longer and in the long run cost you less $$$ down the road.

Now dont get me wrong Im not saying synthetics will make you bike bullet proof and it will never wear out or break down. I am saying it will GREATLY reduce wear and maintain peak performance much longer, then Group I II or III oils will. I have blown up plenty of engines running synthetics but NEVER due to an oil related issue as I have seen many times with cheaper oils. Usually its caused by an air leak, blown gasket/seal or water cooling system failure. And even then I have had Motocross bikes tear off a coolant line in a first turn collision and finish a 25 lap moto with no coolant and not lock up an engine...

With my Kat I run everything from, screamin through the twisties, to touring 2 up all day, and often hours of Toronto 401-403 stop and go traffic, not to mention extreme cold weather starts etc.
                            After building and rebuilding all thypes of engines all of most of my life I know what I want and need in my bike. OEM filters and Group IV~V synthetics.
                            Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-04-2010, 01:10 PM.
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Working...
                            X