X

What oil are you using in your kat? I need a lesson in Oil

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
    Cost wise Amsoil is the most costly oil for me to buy for my own bikes, but I use it because I have done my homework.
    In comparison to the Motul even? Amsoil must be a heck of a lot more in CA than it is in the US.
    Pics
    Pics
    No pics yet
    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Currently right now Asmoil in the stores like canadian tire is selling for $19 a bottle.
      They sell the Mobil1 4T for $16

I sell the MCF for $18, and AFF for $13

In the stores and bike shops Motul 300V is $20
      Motul 7100 is $15

I usually keep my produts a buck or two cheaper then the stores.

but think about it, mobil 1 is still a mineral based oil. Its just highly refined crude oil, with large amounts of Ester additives. Sure it is one of the best group III oils on the market, tets have proven that, and im the first to admit that. But why not spend the extra $6 per oil change and get the REAL good stuff that contains no mineral oil.
      Afterall its the mineral oil in these group II synthetics like Rotella, syntec and Mobil 1 that break down and oxidize and cause clutch glazing, reduced film strength and so on.
      I would rather buy a better lubricant for my engines and support a smaller business then line the pockets of billionairs that make a fortune on every bottle of **** product you buy.
      Amsoil is a good seller in my shop, I have several customers that used it for years and have well over 100,000k on thier bikes with out any oil related issues, including oil usage, loss of compression etc.
      Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-28-2010, 03:38 PM.
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

OIL

i run either Shell Rotella T syn 5W-40 or Chevron Delo 400 syn 5w-40 in the bandit, katana and the 919 with no problems. you can buy either of these oils at Walmart or any truck stop or dealership should run about 20$/gal.
        98 GSX750F Kat
        07 GSF1250S Bandit (her's)

Comment

Amsoil 20w-50 here. Pay about $11 a quart here at Fleet Farm. I usually by a case of it though when I do an oil change and my dad chips in part for his bike and then I sell off the individuals to some of my riding buddies at a discount...

Comment

Currently right now Asmoil in the stores like canadian tire is selling for $19 a bottle.
            HOLY CHIT man. I think I just found my new career. I'm going to start smuggling Amsoil north. Retail here is $10.35 for MCF.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I'll take 8! What's s&h gonna be
              For sale thread Album
              1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Go here

Read.

Read the results of the TESTS on oils these guys are using.

Personally I used the Rotella Synthetic. Test after test shows it holds up as well or better than most "motorcycle specific" oils.

In the long run, use what you can afford and what you are comfortable with.

Just no automotive oils which have FRICTION MODIFIERS in them. That can make wet clutches slip.

it's just like automobile oil..it's a personal choice.

I run fully synthetic Mobil 1 in my cars. I change it and filter every 10K miles. I've done that for probably 20 years.

I've never had an engine failure. And I had a Chevy and a Toyota truck that both got the same treatment. Both had more 200K miles on 'em when I sold 'em...with no engine problems whatsoever.

YMMV

Comment

Huh, good to know guys. I'm leaning towards the rotella synth, or a 15w40 synth. A 5w40 is thinner at startup thus providing less initial protection right? And likewise a 15w40 would provide thicker protection at startup but would thin out the same at high temps right?
                  For sale thread Album
                  1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

The viscosity plays little role in protection, it is simply a measure of resistance to flow. Lower number flows better during a cold start so it can reach get where it needs to be faster.
                    Pics
                    Pics
                    No pics yet

Comment

They sell the Mobil1 4T for $16

I sell the MCF for $18, and AFF for $13

In the stores and bike shops Motul 300V is $20
                      Motul 7100 is $15

I usually keep my produts a buck or two cheaper then the stores.

but think about it, mobil 1 is still a mineral based oil. Its just highly refined crude oil, with large amounts of Ester additives. Sure it is one of the best group III oils on the market, tets have proven that, and im the first to admit that. But why not spend the extra $6 per oil change and get the REAL good stuff that contains no mineral oil.
                      Afterall its the mineral oil in these group II synthetics like Rotella, syntec and Mobil 1 that break down and oxidize and cause clutch glazing, reduced film strength and so on.
                      I would rather buy a better lubricant for my engines and support a smaller business then line the pockets of billionairs that make a fortune on every bottle of **** product you buy.
                      Amsoil is a good seller in my shop, I have several customers that used it for years and have well over 100,000k on thier bikes with out any oil related issues, including oil usage, loss of compression etc.
                      Mobil1 4t 10/40 is a group IV PAO base oil. If you have any proof that it's a group III? then please post it.

Comment

Hey guys, I wanted to ask the pros here, what happens when you mix Synthetic with regular oil?
                        I invite you to church.

Comment

Originally posted by 600toStart View Post
                          Hey guys, I wanted to ask the pros here, what happens when you mix Synthetic with regular oil?
                          IT EXPLODES!!!!!!!!!!

Or maybe you'll just get a synthetic blend?
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

My gf put 2 quarts of synthetic in her truck on accident. Nothing bad has happened yet but I thought I'd ask... (Sorry for the thread jack..)
                            I invite you to church.

Comment

It blends...then explodes.
                              For sale thread Album
                              1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Nothing to sweat, better than having her put 2 quarts of anti-freeze in there!
                                Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
                                X