X

750 header fit a 600 engine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JModified View Post
    Kind of wasting your time even bothering with the different header then.
    I had a header wrap for almost 8 years and no problem with rust. If you are going to leave the airbox stock dont bother with a jet kit. All you will end up with is a over-rich plug fouling cylinder washing fuel using bog machine. If your machine sis out in the rain than i certainly wouldnt recommend wrap. I am pretty sure the heat in the exhaust keeps this nice and dry. Just my 2 cents worth!

And you live where.... that gets how much rainfall anually, with an average humidity level of what?... and you go riding in the rain how often?... VS. where the original poster lives?

As for the rest... I think Teddy pretty well covered how wrong that was....

Krey
    Last edited by Kreylyn; 11-24-2009, 01:56 PM.
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I had a header wrap for almost 8 years and no problem with rust. If you are going to leave the airbox stock dont bother with a jet kit. All you will end up with is a over-rich plug fouling cylinder washing fuel using bog machine. If your machine sis out in the rain than i certainly wouldnt recommend wrap. I am pretty sure the heat in the exhaust keeps this nice and dry. Just my 2 cents worth!
      Incredible arrogance in a forum full of people well versed on this specific machine.
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Where i lived back then was Iowa. I certainly appreciate your arrogant comment, I like it when people speak their mind. I have experimented a little on my own bike with the dynajet kit that you all say doesnt work well with Kat's. Also that K&N's dont work well. Not sure what level of experience you have with intake velocity during valve overlap, and effects of open exhaust and tuning but it appears as though
        i may need to move to a group that does more than just jet kits on stock bikes. My apologies toall did nt mean to offend. This is not my first rodeo!

Almost forgot to add about a carb article i read on here stating that you cant ruin an engine from jetting too rich, cylinwer wash? raw fuel in the crankcase cutting bearings? rings eaten up from cylinder wash? All I am saying is there is a lot more to tuning an engine. Not trying to be a know it all, but if what youre after is performance and you are going to dive into a stock machine, theres more to it than sticking on a loud exhaust and thinking its faster because its louder. Last post from me which will make you happy! Good Luck and maybe we will meet at the strip or on the track someday.
        Last edited by JModified; 11-24-2009, 05:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        JMod
        06' Katana 750
        02' Lincoln LS V-8

Comment

Where i lived back then was Iowa. I certainly appreciate your arrogant comment, I like it when people speak their mind. I have experimented a little on my own bike with the dynajet kit that you all say doesnt work well with Kat's. Also that K&N's dont work well. Not sure what level of experience you have with intake velocity during valve overlap, and effects of open exhaust and tuning but it appears as though
          i may need to move to a group that does more than just jet kits on stock bikes. My apologies toall did nt mean to offend. This is not my first rodeo!

Almost forgot to add about a carb article i read on here stating that you cant ruin an engine from jetting too rich, cylinwer wash? raw fuel in the crankcase cutting bearings? rings eaten up from cylinder wash? All I am saying is there is a lot more to tuning an engine. Not trying to be a know it all, but if what youre after is performance and you are going to dive into a stock machine, theres more to it than sticking on a loud exhaust and thinking its faster because its louder. Last post from me which will make you happy! Good Luck and maybe we will meet at the strip or on the track someday.
          Um... Bye!

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

There's also more to engine tuning than slapping on a Dynojet kit and some K&N's....... If you were really concerned about running too rich, you'd think twice about that goofy taper on the Dynojet needles. I wish I could have met you at the strip, when I had a running machine.

If you assume this group does strictly jet kits on stock bikes, you may want to take another look around.

Tchau!

Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Good Luck and maybe we will meet at the strip or on the track someday.
              looking forward to it

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

You know my intent was nt to get intoa pi**ing match with anyone, i love motorcycles just like the rest of you. I tuned myy dynojet kit with a sniffer and a dyno where i work. I certainly realize that everything we discuss is subjective
                and we all have our personal preferences. Thes needles are stepped for progressive enrichment until the main jets take over. Mine runs great and if you prefer the Ivans kit I respect that. Ive built quite a few engines over the years, everything from cylinder porting and polishing, degreeing cams and tuning by cylinder pressures.
                I think that I have certainly have earned the right to comment on jet kit tunung.
                Great discussion though. And i respect everyones experience with the Kats thats why I joined to learn a little about what you all have done with your machines.
                Truce Man!
                JMod
                06' Katana 750
                02' Lincoln LS V-8

Comment

Arsenic, is that you?
                  Originally posted by arsenic
                  93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

I run 87 GSXR 750 cams, Bandit 1200 header, no mid-pipe or muffler, and a Factory Pro jet kit and I still have the stock airbox and stock air filter. I guess I'm wasting high-11 seconds at a time.

Granted we're talking about a Pre here and I have a Post.....Anyway, point I'm trying to make is trust these guys....they know what they're talking about.
                    02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                    90 GSXR 750/1216
                    96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                    87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                    sigpic

Comment

I was looking at putting different cams in, are the 89 and 90 the best to put in?
                      Thats pretty respectable times. I ran a 91 zx7 back in the early 90s and if i recall i think i ran 11:17 at around 122. you have a pretty impressive list of vehicles up there. When the hell do you find time to maintain them all? After looking around there are some pretty interesting bikes on here. I am liking my cat more and more every day. At 42 its a great bike ergonomically.
                      JMod
                      06' Katana 750
                      02' Lincoln LS V-8

Comment

I was looking at putting different cams in, are the 89 and 90 the best to put in?
                        Thats pretty respectable times. I ran a 91 zx7 back in the early 90s and if i recall i think i ran 11:17 at around 122. you have a pretty impressive list of vehicles up there. When the hell do you find time to maintain them all? After looking around there are some pretty interesting bikes on here. I am liking my cat more and more every day. At 42 its a great bike ergonomically.
                        89 GSXR750 are the most aggressive Suzuki cams that will fit in. 88 GSXR750 cams have a slightly less aggressive exhaust cam, but they're much easier to find (as all of the Katana 1100's used identical cams to the 88 GSXR750). Pretty much any cams from an oil cooled GSXR with forked rockers (4 lobes per cam, instead of the 8 lobe cams from a shim model) will work, and will be better than the kat cams.

BTW- This is my last Kat. I'm in the far lane. [email protected] Sorry about the quality!
                        [ame="http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p174/loudnlow7484/?action=view&current=100_0288.flv"][/ame]
                        Last edited by loudnlow7484; 12-01-2009, 11:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I used to run in Illinois, Cordova, Byron, Great Lakes Dragway in Chicago and Earlville Iowa. Thanks for the info, we have some great salvage yards in Phoenix, guess i will go hunting. Thinking about a 771 piston kit. Dont want the 13:1, hard to find a 12:1 kit. I will let you know how it turns out. Awesome drag videos right up my alley!!!
                          JMod
                          06' Katana 750
                          02' Lincoln LS V-8

Comment

Not to step on any toes here... I realize an inline four moves a lot of air at high revs but in comparison with my old v-star 650 and my vtx 1800. The total air filter surface area on the kat 600 is probably twice that of the v-star 650 and close to equal that of the 1800. I could see where there may not be a need for an aftermarket filter.
                            Katie - 91 Kat 600, 98 Bandit 600 engine, Ivan Jet Kit, Ignition Advancer, Gsxr 750 header, Delkevic slip on, Veypor computer.

Comment

Working...
                            X