750 header fit a 600 engine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 750 header fit a 600 engine

Quick question

Will a katana 750 1993 header fit a katana 600 1996 engine ???

going back to theory school now

both models u described are essentially the same engine with slight diffs.

k i've got to edit this then so as not to confuse anybody I am completly wrong. Dont take any information in this post seriously.
    Last edited by Islandsteve; 11-23-2009, 06:18 PM.
    For sale thread Album
    1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

sorry i didnt mean the engine head
      im talking about the exhaust header

Right now its a 4 to 2 header but the 750 is 4 to 1

Comment

Ah, im not sure, probably fits...

im looking here http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=54277

check it out

looks like it'll fit (although not exactly specified, only hinted at) but you'll need to do "some serious re-jetting" as it's got bout 20% higher flo than the 600 exhaust header
        Last edited by Islandsteve; 11-23-2009, 05:50 PM.
        For sale thread Album
        1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by doc83 View Post
          sorry i didnt mean the engine head
          im talking about the exhaust header

Right now its a 4 to 2 header but the 750 is 4 to 1

Stock for those years on both 600 and 750 were 4-2. Aftermarkets by brand may actually not be any different in size for either 600 or 750.

Yes, it will work for you. You will want to look at jetting the bike correctly because the aftermarket 4-1 pipes will flow higher no matter if it was for a 600 or 750...

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Islandsteve View Post
            If by header you mean cylinder head. Probably not without modification*. 750cc's means that the bore is 150cc's bigger than the 600's so you may need new pistons or just rings. Or if your lucky they just made the cylinder head a bit taller, in which case the 750 would have had longer piston rods or something to that affect and/or different crank shaft cam thingy...hrmmm...someone will jump in here and answer your question better than i can im sure of it.

Steve, Did you seriously just post that?

--Yes the 750 header will fit the 600, in fact tat tube diameter is bigger and it will flow more.

--Yes a 750 head will fit a 600 engine, I beleive they have bigger valves and flow more, but have bigger combustion chamber so the compression ratio is less. The head has nothing to with stroke of the connecting rods. Piston size has nothing to do with the head, the pistions are in the jug, not the head.
            Originally posted by arsenic
            93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandsteve View Post
              If by header you mean cylinder head. Probably not without modification*. 750cc's means that the bore is 150cc's bigger than the 600's so you may need new pistons or just rings. Or if your lucky they just made the cylinder head a bit taller, in which case the 750 would have had longer piston rods or something to that affect and/or different crank shaft cam thingy...hrmmm...someone will jump in here and answer your question better than i can im sure of it.

I don't have any idea what you just said.

The header will fit just fine as far as exhaust port size and spacing. Strikes me there were some minor differences down the line a bit, though.

As far as the actual head fitting...... the studs line up, but it would be a bad idea. I have no idea what that "150cc of head" was about, but the 750's of those years had a 73mm bore, while the 600's had a 62.6mm bore. Big difference. Besides, the 750 is way too fantastic a head to stick on a 600. And no, the engines are not the same. The pre98 750's are a short stroke 750 (a-la 88-89 GSXR750) while the 600's were built off the 85-87 GSXR750 (long stroke) bottom end, but with a smaller bore to bring the displacement down, and a head to match. If you were to bolt on a GSXR750 cylinder block and slap a big-bore kit in it, you may be able to use the pre98 750 head pretty effectively. I realize this is way off topic, just wanted to get that out there, in case in the future somebody finds this thread by searching and decides to go off aforementioned theories.
              Last edited by loudnlow7484; 11-23-2009, 06:07 PM.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                Steve, Did you seriously just post that?

--Yes the 750 header will fit the 600, in fact tat tube diameter is bigger and it will flow more.

--Yes a 750 head will fit a 600 engine, I beleive they have bigger valves and flow more, but have bigger combustion chamber so the compression ratio is less. The head has nothing to with stroke of the connecting rods. Piston size has nothing to do with the head, the pistions are in the jug, not the head.
                umm...yes aparantly i dont know anything about why one engine is "bigger" than the next . I feel dumb hahah,

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post

I don't have any idea what you just said.

The header will fit just fine as far as exhaust port size and spacing. Strikes me there were some minor differences down the line a bit, though.

As far as the actual head fitting...... the studs line up, but it would be a bad idea. I have no idea what that "150cc of head" was about, but the 750's of those years had a 73mm bore, while the 600's had a 62.6mm bore. Big difference. Besides, the 750 is way too fantastic a head to stick on a 600. And no, the engines are not the same. The pre98 750's are a short stroke 750 (a-la 88-89 GSXR750) while the 600's were built off the 85-87 GSXR750 (long stroke) bottom end, but with a smaller bore to bring the displacement down, and a head to match. If you were to bolt on a GSXR750 cylinder block and slap a big-bore kit in it, you may be able to use the pre98 750 head pretty effectively. I realize this is way off topic, just wanted to get that out there, in case in the future somebody finds this thread by searching and decides to go off aforementioned theories.
                ya the 150cc thing was me trying to figure out in my head what made the 750 engine have 150 more cc's than the 600. once again i feel retarded

Ive got it all wrong then. SO I thought a 600cc engine had 600cc's of displacement? or compressible space..
                Last edited by Islandsteve; 11-23-2009, 06:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                For sale thread Album
                1991 Katana 600 - sold

Comment

lol thanks for the answer guys.

Now if i do the change
                  what do i need to do except rejetting?

Comment

Are you using an aftermarket slip on? Make sure you get a hi flow air filter, grind out the weld on the inside of the header pipe up by the flanges, I have also used thermo-tek header wrap on every bike I have modified. Keeps the exhaust heat from blowing on the engine oil cooler and oil pan, plus woves more air!!! To get more air out you need more air in.
                    JMod
                    06' Katana 750
                    02' Lincoln LS V-8

Comment

actually a friend of mine have a 1993 750 sitting in his garage. the bike is dead but he keeps it for part.

The exhaust header looks fine.

Comment

Originally posted by JModified View Post
                        Are you using an aftermarket slip on? Make sure you get a hi flow air filter, grind out the weld on the inside of the header pipe up by the flanges, I have also used thermo-tek header wrap on every bike I have modified. Keeps the exhaust heat from blowing on the engine oil cooler and oil pan, plus woves more air!!! To get more air out you need more air in.
                        Yeah... doesn't apply to the bike being discused... (post vs pre differences).

Keep the stock air filter and air box. Just rejet the bike, a stage 1 jet kit is fine for your needs. Make sure you replace with new the exhausts gaskets so you don't have a leak there. There really isn't anything special after that.

And exhaust wraps are a great way to quickly rust out an exhaust sytem... use a coating like "jet coat"... not something that will absorbe/trap water.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Kind of wasting your time even bothering with the different header then.
                          I had a header wrap for almost 8 years and no problem with rust. If you are going to leave the airbox stock dont bother with a jet kit. All you will end up with is a over-rich plug fouling cylinder washing fuel using bog machine. If your machine sis out in the rain than i certainly wouldnt recommend wrap. I am pretty sure the heat in the exhaust keeps this nice and dry. Just my 2 cents worth!
                          JMod
                          06' Katana 750
                          02' Lincoln LS V-8

Comment

Originally posted by JModified View Post
                            Kind of wasting your time even bothering with the different header then.
                            I had a header wrap for almost 8 years and no problem with rust. If you are going to leave the airbox stock dont bother with a jet kit. All you will end up with is a over-rich plug fouling cylinder washing fuel using bog machine. If your machine sis out in the rain than i certainly wouldnt recommend wrap. I am pretty sure the heat in the exhaust keeps this nice and dry. Just my 2 cents worth!

Seems to me that you need to do some more research about these engines. You are wrong about the air filter, plain and simple. A high flow filter with a simple jet kit and a 750 header is NOT required, it is in fact, a hinderance to proper engine performance for these machines. Ivan's jet kits actually insist you use a stock airbox and filter for optimum performance out of their kit. These engines come from the factory a bit lean as it is, the last thing they need is more air. If you do more work to it, such as larger throat carbs, gixxer cams and so forth, then yes, the high flow filter is needed. For basic jet kit and pipe mods it is a bad idea. I'm not saying it won't work, it just won't work as good as it should.
                            Last edited by teddy; 11-24-2009, 11:21 AM.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                            You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Working...
                              X