X

air oil cooled versus liquid

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SweetLou
    Of the water cooled bikes I have been on, I haven't really cared for them much. Seemed to really blow back a lot of hot air as I was just sitting. I didn't like that.
    Oh, I guess I forgot that's another serious plus on an oil-air cooled bike in places like Florida -- no fans dumping heat on your ankles, shins, thighs, etc. at every stoplight and traffic build-up under the sun. I've been so spoiled by the Kat that I forgot about it...

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Would it be wise to install a fan on a air/oil cooled system? Something with a thermostat or manual switch to keep some air flowing when you do end up in that unexpected traffic jam? Or would the fan itself add too much interference in the flow at speed? (I had my kat 750 get hot enough to start cooking the bugs off the oil cooler when stuck in traffic on a 95 degree day awhile back...)

Comment

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT
        Would it be wise to install a fan on a air/oil cooled system? Something with a thermostat or manual switch to keep some air flowing when you do end up in that unexpected traffic jam? Or would the fan itself add too much interference in the flow at speed? (I had my kat 750 get hot enough to start cooking the bugs off the oil cooler when stuck in traffic on a 95 degree day awhile back...)
        I've seen it done by relocating the California carb after-run fan to the oil cooler, but I've never done it myself. I do have a 750 oil cooler sitting in my pile of possible mods that I could use to replace the 600 cooler on my bike if it were an issue. For you, the upgrade would be to an 1100 oil cooler. Both upgrades (cooler swaps) require some welding to relocate the lower tabs which support the bottom of the oil cooler...

I think the problem would be that any fan you nestled behind the cooler would be exposed to an aweful lot of heat coming off the motorcycle headers in any situation where you were at risk of overheating in the first place...

Q: Did you spray your cooler down with pam to help get those bugs nice and crunchy?

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

what are they going to do with the kat when the emissions stuff comes down?

Comment

Originally posted by tog
            what are they going to do with the kat when the emissions stuff comes down?
            Rumor has it, there will be no more kat after this year.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet

I've seen it done by relocating the California carb after-run fan to the oil cooler, but I've never done it myself. I do have a 750 oil cooler sitting in my pile of possible mods that I could use to replace the 600 cooler on my bike if it were an issue. For you, the upgrade would be to an 1100 oil cooler. Both upgrades (cooler swaps) require some welding to relocate the lower tabs which support the bottom of the oil cooler...

I think the problem would be that any fan you nestled behind the cooler would be exposed to an aweful lot of heat coming off the motorcycle headers in any situation where you were at risk of overheating in the first place...
                Interesting... although I'll invest in one of your temp gauges before I go around trying to upgrade coolers or install fans - this summer has been unusual, in that we've had roughly 25 days in the past couple of months where the temp exceeded 90. Ugh.

Q: Did you spray your cooler down with pam to help get those bugs nice and crunchy?
                LOL - Hmm... I may have to try some EV Olive Oil - as it's supposed to be better for you

Comment

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT
                  although I'll invest in one of your temp gauges before I go around trying to upgrade coolers or install fans - this summer has been unusual, in that we've had roughly 25 days in the past couple of months where the temp exceeded 90. Ugh.
                  If you have an oil change coming up, consider switching to a 15w50 or 20w50 instead of the stock 10w40 when the weather is that hot.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X