Moving to UK

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to UK

Hi guys (and gals),

I'm being transferred to Bristol England for 3 years and am going to take my Kat with me. So I need any help, advice, warning that I might need for once I get there.

What do I need to register the bike in the UK? I know I need to pass the MOT inspection, but are there any differences in US/UK Katanas that I need to be aware of in order to pass the inspection? Are there certain things they really look for or are picky about?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'll be over around the first of the year, so I've got my cold weather gear all ready to go. I hope to meet some of our European counterparts.
    sigpic

In Life, you either lead, follow, or circumnavigate the whole process....

hey congrats bro! Sorry never been there, but I'm sure someone will have some usable input.
    "We are not limited by our abilities. Only by our vision."

-Unknown.

1998 GSX600F Katana

All stock except paint (Hazard "school bus" orange)

sigpic

Comment

PM user Tone... hes a UK member.

See My Garage for mods...
      T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
      Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Tokalosh is over there as well, he's a good guy that could help you out I am sure.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Cinci to England? Oh man, bad to worse

Pretty much everything involving vehicles and driving in Europe is stricter than our rules here.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

One difference may be you lights. You'll be riding on the left hand side of the road here so you may need to adjust your low beam differently. Other than that I can't see there being any problems. Of course you'll have to get used to paying a fortune for fuel ! Wet weather gear is just as important as cold weather stuff. The main difference between summer and winter here is that the rain is slightly warmer in the summer ! Bristol is in the South West of the UK, Its a great part of the country and some of the country roads in Devon and Cornwall ( even further West ) are great.

Comment

greenchili1993

First congrats on the move you're going to love the weather this side of the pond, NOT!!!

As far as the bike is concerned the only thing that they are really sticky about is aftermarket cans. You will need to ensure you have your stock can on for the MOT. Oh and they will put a black lens blocker on the headlight to stop your low beam from shining in the wrong direction.

Just one last thing to remember NO ONE and I mean NO ONE knows how to drive in the UK!

See you soon.....

Tok

Comment

your headlights will need to be changed to a euro one. you will also need a reflector on the rear of the bike and other than this i think its just general things like tyres ect ect, you will also need a Euro marked exhaust pipe i would think...

Comment

Originally posted by andybar4 View Post
                  your headlights will need to be changed to a euro one. you will also need a reflector on the rear of the bike

My Kat is a gray import and I have the original headlights since I've owned the Kat, no need to change them, and as for the reflector on the rear of the bike, I've never had one.

I pass my MOT with flying colors every year!

Tok

Comment

I have nothing useful to add about the bike, but looks like you are about 90 miles away from the Ace Cafe, in London. Ace Cafe appears to be about the same as Quaker Steak and Lube for bikes, except they are not a franchise. Might be worth checking out once you get settled in. Sounds like an exciting part of your life to live in another country.

Comment

Congrats, Hope you enjoy your stay there.

Comment

Please mind the gap.

Comment

Originally posted by MrSquidward View Post
                          Please mind the gap.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Congrats!
                            =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Hello mate

You shouldnt have a problem with the MOT as long as your headlight dips the right way & you dont have indicators that stay on all the while, the coments about noisy pipes only apply to jobsworth mot testers & as long as its not stamped not for road use or stupidly loud there wont be a problem, self adhesive reflectors are 50p & small enough to stick a couple to your No plate if you need to

Basically if its safe it will be fine Any specific questions just ask & i'll answer them for you no bother

What i'd be more worried about than anything is officially importing it as this may require you to go through an SVA test, not much hassle if its a stock bike but could be hassle if there's some mods, look it up before you decide to go ahead

tone
                              Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Working...
                              X