X

question about aftermarket exhaust

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about aftermarket exhaust

this isn't a thread about performance or tone, so i put it here. just in case anyone wants to ask.

so, my bike is a 96 gsxr1100. she has a full hindle exhaust.

i went to change the oil and filter yesterday before the first ride and almost wanted to set this witch on fire. problem is, the header tubes are so close together that the oil filter won't fit between them to get them out. it seems that the only way to get it out, and a new one in, is to take off the header. and given the radiator and oil cooler and cooling fan, i'm not about to do that every oil change

is this a common problem with aftermarket exhaust systems? i'm so mad that i'm trying to find a full factory exhaust right now.

it's a shame, too. i really like the sound of the hindle exhaust. i may keep the slip on and just get the factory manifold and collector.

in case you're wondering, i did get the new filter in. i won't say how, but it wasn't the right way.

so now, anyone have any thoughts?

My Kat, doesnt have that problem. Even with a giant aftemarket header.
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Well, the hindle header is very poorly laid out.

It looks like I'm have to take off the rad and oil cooler to get it off, too.

I am very unhappy with it. Shame the bike didn't come with the stock exhaust

Comment

unrelated bike...but i had that problem with a nighthawk S with a yosh full system, but only had to undo and drop the header pipes. i replaced the originals in that case...preferred the look and sound. you may already know this, but the header gaskets should be replaced...not sure if each time, i believe in my case they were one time use...once crushed, that's it....wish the PO knew...he torqued the header studs through the cap nuts...doh!
        2004 GSX750F

Comment

Maybe you could just loosen the header, would that give you enough room to get a filter in and out the side? I wouldn't get rid of the Hindle just for that. There must be a way to get around it more simply than taking the oil cooler, radiator, etc off each time.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Several brands of aftermarket pipes route the headers too tightly to get the oil filter out between the down-pipes, and some are too tight to get the oil filter out the side as well. As others noted, you loosen the header bolts & exhaust bolts and drop the exhaust header out of the way. Since the OEM Suzuki oil filter is rated for three oil change intervals, that's only once every 11k miles that you really need to do this (another big endorsement for the OEM filters). Make sure you recoat the header bolts with high-temp anti-seize before bolting 'em back down, or you'll come to regret it in the long run.

I've seen filter relocation kits, but not specifically for your make/model -- a bit of searching on the net might locate one for you, to let you move the filter out into a more convenient location

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks for the info about the filter. i had no idea. i was mostly upset because i'd have to change the filter at every oil change and i didn't want ot have tot deal with the damn header.

still, while i was under it, i saw that one of the header downpipes was crushed about halfway. looks like i'll either need ot replace it or get it fixed anyways

Comment

and as far as dropping the header, it still looks like i'll have to remove the radiator, oil cooler and cooling fan just to get the header bolts loose

Comment

What a PIA... The price you pay for performance

=-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X