No announcement yet.
X

Gonna Turbo the Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im thinking of cutting the whole 'bump', I guess I could say, were the blinker goes. I got a guy who could mold literaly anything. The vents are definatly gonna be for highway speeds.
    Meow. -Count_Filth's_Katana

Comment

i get what you're saying. i hate the bump. when i redid my cowl, i cut the bumps off with an angle grinder, and rebuild the area. you can see in the pic, i made them go away altogether.

not the best picture mind you.. right after i painted my bike it was stolen and smashed up. so these are the nicest pics i have of it sadly enough. and before you ask, no thats not what i was planning for the turn signals, i just threw them there so i could drive it around without getting pulled over. i'm going to run strips of hyperbright leds in the trim instead.

i'd recommend smoothing over the bumps, running new markers, and see if you can get your hands on the front scoop from a ninja or something similar if you want to go for the forced air method.

but you never know, heat may not be a problem at all- i think it all comes down to how you have the turbo interact with your exhaust and how you manage your backpressure
      Attached Files
      charlie was a chemist, but charlie is no more. what charlie thought was h2o was h2so4

Comment

I am curious to see how this one plays out...good luck I guess. I do not feel very confident that we will see a positive outcome from this. But I do want to see it and hope everything works out. I was going through some crates of some old car parts I had last summer and came across an old T3/T04 hybrid that I replaced from my 300zx. When I grabbed it my eyes instantly went to the Kat. After about an hour of looking stuff up and pretending I could do it, I realized that there was just too much work and limited space. Also As mentioned before the cooling issues. I assume you will be going with oil cooled only, unless you are going to mount a mini sized inter cooler somewhere. Our bikes seem to run on the hot side as it is and if you plan on cooling the turbo with oil that is already a bit hot...its not going to last too long. Also where do you run the oil lines to? One from the oil cooler somehow and the return line tapped into the oil pan somehow? I just hope this guy knows what hes doing! When it is complete we (or at least I) want to see a lot of pictures. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Rangerx52 View Post
          i get what you're saying. i hate the bump. when i redid my cowl, i cut the bumps off with an angle grinder, and rebuild the area. you can see in the pic, i made them go away altogether.

not the best picture mind you.. right after i painted my bike it was stolen and smashed up. so these are the nicest pics i have of it sadly enough. and before you ask, no thats not what i was planning for the turn signals, i just threw them there so i could drive it around without getting pulled over. i'm going to run strips of hyperbright leds in the trim instead.

i'd recommend smoothing over the bumps, running new markers, and see if you can get your hands on the front scoop from a ninja or something similar if you want to go for the forced air method.

but you never know, heat may not be a problem at all- i think it all comes down to how you have the turbo interact with your exhaust and how you manage your backpressure
          Man, that sucks it got stolen! That blinker looks prety nice there, that's were I wanna move mine and also put some on the top of the mirrors, and replace the mirrors too. I know its gonna be a lot of work, but im willing to go for it.

Comment

IMO, that price is too good to be true. A poorly done turbo setup is a very expensive way to grenade an engine. Before you give him any money ask him to walk you through the whole setup (everything that he is going to add or remove from the bike). Ask him basic questions like:

what kind of turbo?
            how much boost?
            carbs or FI conversion?
            what kind of carbs or FI
            how is the added heat from the turbo going to be addressed?

If he is at all uncomfortable discussing the details of the setup, walk away. You also need to ask yourself if your engine is in good enough condition. If your rings, bearings, headgasket, etc are starting to wear out a turbo will cause them to fail in short order. A turbo setup is not something to jump into.
            sigpic
            »Ross Wendell
            »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

I would want to see some of his other work and talk to them

Comment

Originally posted by RossW View Post
                IMO, that price is too good to be true. A poorly done turbo setup is a very expensive way to grenade an engine. Before you give him any money ask him to walk you through the whole setup (everything that he is going to add or remove from the bike). Ask him basic questions like:

what kind of turbo?
                how much boost?
                carbs or FI conversion?
                what kind of carbs or FI
                how is the added heat from the turbo going to be addressed?

If he is at all uncomfortable discussing the details of the setup, walk away. You also need to ask yourself if your engine is in good enough condition. If your rings, bearings, headgasket, etc are starting to wear out a turbo will cause them to fail in short order. A turbo setup is not something to jump into.
                That sounds great, ill definetly ask plenty of questions like that. my bike is in ok condition, 17,000 miles, but I literaly ride the CRAP out of it. If anything bad ends up happening, my friend who's in collection (who told me bout the turbo guy) says he'll flip his truck if he jips me. And im sure he'll do it to, he's a giant red neck.

Comment

Good luck
                  02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                  90 GSXR 750/1216
                  96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                  87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X