Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How do I know if I need a new alternator?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless you're hard of hearing, you'd hear it (since it would fire up when the engine shut down). The other aspects of the California model aren't relevant to your situation... unless the wiring for the fan or wiring for the controller for the fan are bad, even though the fan might have been removed.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

If it is the alternator that is bad could you not just crank the bike and disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. Depending on how long the bike runs after you disconnect it will let you no if the alternator is bad. If the bike dies immediately, then your alternator is bad ???? I know this works on cars, but I don't know about Kat's.
      Talk about droppin your bike.... How about droppin it off the trailer bringing it home from the dealer with 1 mile on it.. Yep that's me...

Comment

you just know....because your bike wont start....(or it will start with the batt having a full charge, then you go for a ride and get about 30 miles from home and stop for a drink and it wont fire back up...)

Then you just put it in 2nd and look for a hill

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
          you just know....because your bike wont start....(or it will start with the batt having a full charge, then you go for a ride and get about 30 miles from home and stop for a drink and it wont fire back up...)

Then you just put it in 2nd and look for a hill

Yeah I have had to pop start it a few times because of this.

Also there is no fans and it does not apear that fans have ever been on the bike.

I will try the suggestions this weekend when I return home from a business trip. thanks for the help and updates!!

Originally posted by CuttinCorners View Post
          If it is the alternator that is bad could you not just crank the bike and disconnect the negative terminal from the battery. Depending on how long the bike runs after you disconnect it will let you no if the alternator is bad. If the bike dies immediately, then your alternator is bad ???? I know this works on cars, but I don't know about Kat's.

I wasnt sure that the bike needed electricity to run since it is not fuel injected. But this is easy enough to test so ima give it a shot.

thanks!
          Last edited by ismatts; 07-16-2009, 04:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Bling....

Comment

I check the battery with the bike off, and then check it again with the bike running to see if the alternator is charging it.

Comment

the headlight flickers pretty badly with the battery disconnected and has a hard time idling. It will eventually stall out.

I didnt get a multimeter/voltmeter yet, and will try this next. What should the meter read when idling and no battery hooked up? I would assume like 13.5v? if the alternator is dead any ideas on where to get one?
              Last edited by ismatts; 07-17-2009, 08:56 AM.
              Bling....

Comment

check the voltage with the battery connected. if it reads low (below 13.2), then you can take a reading at the alternator itself.
                "Don't mess with a nation, that needs medication"- Christopher Titus-

Comment

Working...
                X