X

Massive Oil Leak, Need Help.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive Oil Leak, Need Help.

Ok, This morning I started my Kat in the garage, and backed it down my driveway. I stopped to shut the garage door and saw a puff of white smoke come up from under the handlebars. As I bent over to look, the puff instantly became a cloud and through the smoke i could see a firehose-like spray of oil being shot at the back of the headlight. I quickly ship the bike off (this all happened in under 3 seconds), and watched as a pool of oil ran down my driveway. From the split second that I had to look, the oil seemed to be coming from the top right corner of the oil radiator (the throttle side). Obviously, I drive the WRX to work and havne't had the time to really get in there and see what happened, but thankfully i was in my driveway and not on the highway when this happened.

Anyone ever have a similar experience, and/or know what the hell just happened? The oil hose that hooks to the radiator seems to be fully attached, but I need to get the plastic off tonight to take a closer look. The whole front fork and wheel are drenched.

HELP?!?!
    www.umphreys.com

Could be lots of sources -- oil radiator punctured, hose nicked (this is most likely based on the symptoms), rubber o-ring at the top of the radiator (seal for the hose) missing or defective/damaged (did you have the radiator off any time recently?).
    It could also be coming from elsewhere (such as a stripped oil-union bolt on the valve covers), but not nearly as likely given where it hit...

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

99 times out of 100 it will be either the oil cooler split right at the hose connection or the seal from hose to cooler i hope its the seal as good coolers are pretty difficult to get hold of ( where i am anyway)
      Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

I am also thinking it has to do with the hose/seal/connection at the radiator. I just got back from a softball game, so i doubt i'm going to get to this tonight. I have never removed any of the hoses/equipment and i've had the bike for almost 2 years with zero symptoms like this. This oil change has about 400 miles on it. I need to get some more oil, fill it up, and turn it back on to check for the leak. I'll post more as soon as i figure this out.
        Cyber, do you sell new hoses?
        www.umphreys.com

Comment

I don't normally stock 'em, but I can generally order you anything you want as a special order. Since I'm leaving in about 24 hours to go on my road-trip and to the KR rally, I'm not going to be a timely source for your needs at this point...

Good Luck!
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Since I don't know anywhere else to buy specialty parts, I'll wait for you to return
            I'll let you know what i figure out the problem to be and we can go from there. I have quite a bit of stuff going on the next week and a half, so it won't hurt me to wait a little. I appreciate the help, and I'll be in touch!
            www.umphreys.com

Comment

You should be able to score the same parts via your local dealership -- faster, but not as cheaply

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

My local dealership sucks. They don't ever seem very interested in talking to me since i didn't purchase my bike from them. Maybe they shouldn't try to sell used bikes at nearly new cost.

anyway, i'm still too ****ed to take the plastic off, and i need to be in a calm mood to do that. don't want to scratch the new paint (that's now covered in oil...) I will let you know what i find out, post some pics, and you can get back to me when you are available. i'm sure you'll still get me parts quicker than the locals, even if you are gone for a week.
                www.umphreys.com

Comment

OK guys, I finally had the time (and patience) to take apart the bike and find out where the leak was. Look like we were all wrong. I've never noticed a problem, smell or smoke before, but the oil line running from the block to the cooler was pressed up against the header pipe. This has had to have been there since I got the bike (Oct 2007), because I've never even touched this line. I do know that the bike was down on this side before I bought it, so that's probably what did it, but i've put about 3000 miles on it since i've had it. I guess it takes 3000 miles to burn thought a flex line (see below). I put a quart and a half of oil into it, and started the bike for about 4 seconds, and you can see in the second pic that it obviously leaks quite a bit at this spot (just wanted to verify the location).

Cyber, do I need to order the whole line from the block to the cooler, or just the flex part? Either way, you know what I need. Lets get it ordered, PM me and let me know the damage.

I really appreciate all your help on this!

www.umphreys.com

Comment

Check your PM's -- need a year/make and a destination to give you a valid quote.
                    Or you may be able to run down to your local NAPA center and have them fab one up for you given the existing one as a template.

When you re-install, make sure you route the lower connection with the metal tube rotated further out, away from the headers.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                    X