X

Oil Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Question

My '04 Kat-600 is the first bike I have owned (not a bad way to start in my mind )
    The previous owner said to run conventional oil in it and stay away from a full synthetic. He stated that the synthetic causes the clutch to slip after a while.
    Is this true? I am almost due for an oil change an want to know the best type to use.

Bike has just under 17k miles on it.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

The only time it will make the clutch slip is if you use a synthetic with friction modifiers. My bike has Suzuki-branded synthetic (from the previous owner) in it now, and I've got a gallon of Rotella-T synthetic ready for the next oil change.

Comment

motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

I always used Amsoil MCF on my Kat.
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Lots of good accurate information there (thanks CP), but let me make sure you get the basics.
        Conventional car oil = no good for motorcycles in general due to, amongst other things, higher heat and rpm's.
        I use Mobile 1 4t motorcycle racing oil, not that I race, but sometimes I drive like it

to quote the article
        The most important thing is that you use a motorcycle oil with the specific ratings and weight that the engine manufacturer calls for (e.g. - API SF/SG, JASO MA, 10w40).
        Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Any good rated oil for your Kat will work. I personally use a synth blend Castrol ACT-EVO 4T and like it.

Just as important is a good quality oil filter. I use Purolator ML16818 filters on my 06 750 Kat and change the filter everytime you change the oil (I know many disagree with this so no flames please) the cleaner the oil the better
          If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 40something View Post
            I use Purolator ML16818 filters on my 06 750 Kat and change the filter everytime you change the oil
            No flames, but many OEM filters are good for 5000+ miles. My OEM Kawasaki filters are good for 10k miles. Just saying.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

thanks for the insight everyone and putting me on the right track

gonna make this bike run like a rapped ape!
              The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'

Comment

Rotella 5W 40 synthetic here.
                R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

First, thanks to everyone who posted up my webpage info!

Originally posted by BoarderBry View Post
                  The previous owner said to run conventional oil in it and stay away from a full synthetic. He stated that the synthetic causes the clutch to slip after a while.
                  Is this true?
                  Depends on whether he used a properly rated motorcycle oil or used a car oil instead. If the oil was JASO-MA rated (i.e. - intended for wet-clutch motorcycles), it is not the basis for any clutch slip, irrelevant of whether it was synthetic or dino oil. A glazed clutch however (from bad clutch habits, such as slipping the clutch a lot for high-RPM launches, or a mal-adjusted clutch) can be an issue here.

If you think of oil as a bunch of molecules of a specific type, the only real basic differences between dino and synthetic motorcycle oils [given the same brand, weight, group basis, etc.] is how many of these chains are the ideal length at the outset. Synthetic, as a term, means "not found in nature", and dino oils start out with lots of different length chains by definition (with a fairly high percentage the ideal length); synthetics start out with typically all the chains the ideal length.
                  There are other differences based on the group basis (what kind of crude or plant oils they started with) that affect temp ranges & vapor-temps, and detergent loads & additives that are good for the engine (ZDDP for example), that help differentiate one brand from the next, but that's not what I'm talking about here.

The only time that synthetic JASO-MA rated oils are likely to cause any issues is if the engine has a lot of sludge build-up masking a bad/failed oil gasket somewhere in the engine; most synthetics have high detergent loads that will liquify off sludge build-up particularly well, and in the process, can expose a bad gasket, leading to a leak. This is not to say that the synthetic caused the leak -- the dino oil sludging up deprived the seal of fresh oil, the seal subsequently broke down, and the fresh oil subsequently re-exposed the problem.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
                    Rotella 5W 40 synthetic here.
                    Same here!!!! Run it in both bikes
                    2007 Honda CBR600rr
                    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                    sigpic

Comment