• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now ya got it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
      Now ya got it.
      Thats what I was saying the whole time. The OP is talking backwards with open and closed, I couldnt get past that

Been a long time since I've used a choke
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

oops
        well now ya know what i mean lol
        sorry its been a long day.

when it is idleing at 3k it is a bit bouncy between say 2800 and 3200 with pretty steady popping out the exhaust,
        as i move the choke lever the idle drops and gets more bouncy till it stalls.
        my idol screw is just touching the tang so i would call it at zero. i didnt want to mess with it too much yet.
        all vacuum is sealed up proper, only thing open is the two vent ports above the fuel lines.

Comment

Well then, warm the motor up and set your idle around 1200 rpm's. The revving and popping at 3000 rpm's with the choke on may be normal. My bike did it until I got pizzed off and rebuilt the carb's. I had 136 mains in at the time and the darn idle was bouncing between 1200 and 1500 rpm's. I didn't know if my problem was bad gas or crappy carb's. I attributed the poor running to both. After the rebuild I went down to 126 mains because I just can't leave things alone. Now i'm ideling steady at 1200 and no more bouncing of the idle. Set your idle before you go any further. You may be just leaving the choke on too long.

Comment

roger that
            its not supposed to rain tomorrow (fingers crossed) so i should have some time to play. i hope

thanks again all for all the help.. hope i can repay eventually!!

Comment

I have had enough of the rain. I'm planning on riding to work. Fill us in on how it runs tomorrow.

Comment

added more gas played with the idle screw and i think i've got it.
                it runs now off of choke ilde is still a bit high but if i turn it down it goes too low. what is a good number for idle 1.5? or is that too low?
                how long can i run it and play around with settings before it gets too hot, i am unfamiliar with oil cooled engines.

if all goes well i get to figure out how to sync next, i have a set of sync gauges but they are only a pair can i do 2 at a time? or do i need 2 more gauges..

thanks again for all the input and help!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rowdy View Post
                  added more gas played with the idle screw and i think i've got it.
                  it runs now off of choke ilde is still a bit high but if i turn it down it goes too low. what is a good number for idle 1.5? or is that too low?
                  how long can i run it and play around with settings before it gets too hot, i am unfamiliar with oil cooled engines.

if all goes well i get to figure out how to sync next, i have a set of sync gauges but they are only a pair can i do 2 at a time? or do i need 2 more gauges..

thanks again for all the input and help!!!
                  More than 5 mins from cold and you start to over heat. Get a box fan blowing over the oil cooler, and you can go alot longer.

Idle should be set 1400-1600 rpms aprox.

You only need to sync 2 carbs at any given time.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    More than 5 mins from cold and you start to over heat. Get a box fan blowing over the oil cooler, and you can go alot longer.

Krey

cool
                    she is cooling down now then i will do the box fan thing and see if i can get the idle right.

i have this gauge set will they work

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Krey

That is gong to take some work, isn't it? I guess you can sync them, 1&2 then 3&4. Then you would have to do 2&3 to get them all balanced? I used the Carbtune on my carb's. Set your idle at 1750 rpm's according to the manual then sync them. Manual calls for 1100 +/- 100 rpm's. I have mine set at 1200. I guess your set up will vary. I would let you use my carbtune but it would take you about 4 hours to get here.
                      Last edited by Kfreak; 06-19-2009, 04:34 PM.

Comment

well i think i found a happy idle for now around 1600 to 1700 much lower and it stalls. however with the choke on it screams around 5k is that normal? i only need the choke on for 15 seconds or so for it to hold a good idle.

also if i hit the throttle it has great response but only drops back to 3k then eases down to idle and is that right? or should it snap back to idle fairly quickly?

still having the small backfires, all cylinders are igniting spit tested all header tubes. i think the a/f screws are a little out of wack still

thanks for the offer on the carb tune but 4 hours is a bit of a hike lol
                        i'm sure i can source a set local, after i try to do it with the double gauges lol

Comment

Choke on and bike screaming is normal. slowly cut back on the choke to about 2000rpm's while warming up. After a twist of the throttle the rpm's should not hang with the choke off. Check for a vacuum leak around the carb boots. I used to go to your area from Pa every day. Not any more. Are you getting the after fires on decel while riding the bike? Or is it popping at idle. Can you trust your tach. I just went thru a situation where my tach was not reading the right rpm's. You may also be running lean because of the K&N filter.
                          Last edited by Kfreak; 06-19-2009, 09:01 PM.

Comment

ok so i am doing right with the choke. the afterfires are just random and fairly steady while sitting at ilde and sometimes when i crack the throttle, as far as while riding i dont know, i have no helmet, no registration, and better yet no license yet lol.. i am pretty sure i can trust the tach atleast it sounds correct. i can not find any vacuum leaks all fresh hoses checked and rechecked with carb cleaner. i think i need to adjust the af screws more. if its lean which way would rich be?

Comment

Seriously pay close attention to the two center carb boots. They have a habit of sliding off the carb throats when being tightened. Turn the A/F screws all the way in. DO NOT TIGHTEN THESE SCREWS. Turn them in lightly till they stop then back them out 2 1/2 turns. Have you checked your float height? Should be set at 14.5 mm

Comment

dodging raindrops today still cant find a vacuum leak but it is running better still lean tho.

will backing out the a/f screws more make it richer or leaner?

and no i didnt check the float height i guess i gotta tear em down again if the a/f mixture dosent solve the problem..

Comment

Working...
                                X