No announcement yet.
X

Upgrade from a Katana to a _______?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the riding that you are talking about the Katana 750, while it may not be fuel injected fits the qualifications very nicely except for horepower increase. I ride my 06 Kat 750 everywhere. I use it as a commuter bike to work and home, pleasure rider with friends on local bike night cruises, tour on it for days at a time (I did add luggage for that), after the Corbin seat upgrade made the bike much more comfortable for me and the wife, and it is a rock solid bike with low maintenance costs.

I think at some point in our riding careers we all want more, bigger and better. I have owned bikes up the 1200cc mark and when I made my last purchase I went back to a 750 Kat due to the low maintenance costs and a 750 has the best overall performance vs. fuel mileage of any of the size bikes I have ever owned.

Just my 2 cents on this one
    If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by smokeyob View Post
      This bike looks pretty cool. Some fairings would be nice.

I just like riding (sometimes with my gf on board), wanted something newer, nicer, more powerful, fuel injected. My usual trip will be 10-20 miles, the farthest I'll go is 80 miles to the Jersey shore.

Any suggestions?
      Looks like you have your suggestion right here. The FZ1 is an awesome bike. Great in canyons, great on the freeway, an all around fun bike. There are tons of mods you can do too. That was going to be my pic if I upgrade.

Comment

The problem with the FZ1 is it has no power down low, it really has to be wrung out to get the job done.
        Pics
        Pics
        No pics yet
        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
          The problem with the FZ1 is it has no power down low, it really has to be wrung out to get the job done.
          Nothing a sprocket change can't fix. But really what does "no power down low" mean? Its not like old ladies with walkers are going to scoot past you. People say my r6 has no power down low, but when I twist the throttle it takes off, feels like if I wasn't holding onto the handle bar I'd fall off the back. I've never understood what people meant.

Comment

I'm going to put in a vote for a sv650 sv1k. For what you're looking to do it seems like a good choice (and has similar aesthetics to the fz1).
            Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

I'll put my $0.02 for a Busa or an SV1000 with bodywork. Both are great bikes. The Busa is on my "next" list.
              My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Sv1000s
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I vote Hayabusa

Comment

Only problems with the Kawi Z1000 are the stock gearing is too high for good acceleration off the line or passing (easily solved with a sprocket change when you need to replace the chain), and the little joke of a windscreen gives absolutely no protection from the wind which becomes a major annoyance at anything over 75-80mph on long highway rides. Kidblooper could fill you in on the Yamaha FZ1 since he owns one.
                    John,
                    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                    sigpic

Comment

FZ1 is a great bike. I was about to buy one myself, but got a deal on the gixxer that I couldn't pass up. Try one out, you'll prolly like it.
                      2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
                      BMC Notorious 918 HT
                      2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Originally posted by beherenow71 View Post
                        But really what does "no power down low" mean?
                        It means you have to pay far more attention to keeping the revs up as opposed to a similar bike like the B1250, where a twist of the throttle in any gear is going to make it go.
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet
                        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by smokeyob View Post
                          What's your riding habits? Similar to mine? Have a passenger often?
                          I took a pre-98 600 and dumped a 750 motor, swingarm and shock on it, mostly for improved two-up riding, which mostly consisted of my teenagers over the weekends. I haven't had anyone on the back of the VFR yet, only had her about two months. But, I can say that she's quite a bit more of a bike in that regard - very stable, solid ride. My buddy has a 4th Gen that I've ridden biatch on a few times without any issues.

The V4's a grunty motor that like to be rung out. The 5th and 6th Gen VFR's, especially, don't feel right unless you keep the tach about 3.5K.
                          "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

triumph sprint rs or st (i.e. steves bike)
                            "The country i am hearing now a days is a bunch of F***ing S*** to me" Hank Williams lll

Comment

Originally posted by 64dumptruck View Post
                              triumph sprint rs or st (i.e. steves bike)
                              You might be able to find a older ST or RS in that price range... but so far as I can tell, Sprints tend to get ridden like VFRs... until they turn into dust from age and use
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                                You might be able to find a older ST or RS in that price range... but so far as I can tell, Sprints tend to get ridden like VFRs... until they turn into dust from age and use
                                Come on now, I saw a couple 06s last year when I was looking, which were just a little over that range. 06 seemed to have been a high production volume year with low sales for the Sprint, as there were a number of new 06s that hit the showroom floors in the middle of 07.

And VFR, I see the 6th gen bikes all over the place for sale.
                                Pics
                                Pics
                                No pics yet

Comment

Working...
                                X