X

definition of the term " SQUID "

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
    Whiners, damn whiners! If you're going to ride in the heat, buy gear for the heat...

It was 90 degrees out today and I rode over 3 hours in an urban setting. I wore leather. Leather boots, perforated leather jacket, and armored perforated leather riding pants. With the right gear choice, it's no worse than riding with jeans and a heavy T-shirt, and if you hit the ground, well...

Sometimes I wish it wasn't black leather, but it's the easiest color choice when matching different manufacturer's stuff...

If you're not willing to go to that level (hot weather leathers), at least get hard armor designed as outer-wear, such as Velocity Gear's F9 armor for your chest/back/arms and leg protectors for your knees/shins. It won't provide the same level of deterrent at keeping road crud out of abrasions, but it will help minimize the abrasions and the surgery-requiring mangling.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Gotta go with CP on this one. I went out yesterday (sunny 70*) in my leathers. Funny thing, I wore the perf jacket and the unperf pants with a long sleve shirt underneath to peel off in case I got too warm. But I acually felt really cold!

I think you get used to it. Mid 90's with black perf leathers is ok. Get a little warm at lights, but that is minimal, cause I ain't cruising the blvd, I am usually out in the country looking for twisty roads.
    2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
    BMC Notorious 918 HT
    2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Completely agree. It was 90+ for me too and I was wearing leather boots and jacket. leather/textile gloves and jeans (I still gotta find some pants, but atleast i wasnt wearing shorts).
      Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

I will always wear my gear after getting hit by a SUV here is the story really quick. I was exiting off the highway and a SUV was about to miss their exit and came across the white lines and took out me and my wife (that was her very first and very last bike ride) any way the guy got out and starting blaming my and he told my wife to get off the ground you are not hurt (I almost went to jail that day for murder). I got bad road rash because i gave my wife all of my gear and i wore a long sleve shirt and a helmet. So lesson learned

Comment

Originally posted by BUCKJFLOWERS View Post
          I will always wear my gear after getting hit by a SUV here is the story really quick. I was exiting off the highway and a SUV was about to miss their exit and came across the white lines and took out me and my wife (that was her very first and very last bike ride) any way the guy got out and starting blaming my and he told my wife to get off the ground you are not hurt (I almost went to jail that day for murder). I got bad road rash because i gave my wife all of my gear and i wore a long sleve shirt and a helmet. So lesson learned
          I honestly hope you sued the pants off that guy -- because a traffic ticket definitely wasn't enough.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
            I honestly hope you sued the pants off that guy -- because a traffic ticket definitely wasn't enough.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            +1

I would have ripped the headers off and beat him unconscious with them.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

The only reason i did not kill the guy is because i heard my wife come tooo and start crying my attention went to her. The guy told me i tried to take over his lane. Anyway in court the cop that was on my side drew the pic wrong and the judge dismissed the case and said let the insurance handle it. I was walking behind the guy when we were leaving the court and it took everything i had not to start punching him and it was a iraqi (nothing against them but i just got back from iraq and i had one of my best friends pass away over there way not a big fan at the time)

Comment

dude, I know EXACTLY what you mean about a CONUS hajji ticking you off after a combat deployment, you have more control then I would have had.

Comment

well congrats to you being the better man. My anger would not have been quelmed, especially if my wife was unconcious after the impact.

I get far too many of the squid type in Cali, and our death rate always goes up in summer because of squids and gas prices.

I learned my lesson after getting a 1 inch scar on my right arm. The next day I had a jacket. I just ordered my pants so I will have full leathers now!

Comment

The shorts thing always gets me. Especially when 90% have a huge scar from the previous time they wore shorts and brushed up against the exhaust on a 90 degree day.

Comment

Originally posted by BUCKJFLOWERS View Post
                      The only reason i did not kill the guy is because i heard my wife come tooo and start crying my attention went to her.

You sir, are a man... I only know one person who has that kind of coolness...
                      And I'm not even sure he would have let it go...

Comment

i've been down a total of about 5 times on a bike, 1 really bad, 1 pretty bad, 1 average, and the last two were under 10 mph(down is down, there ain't two ways about it), and ill tell ya, the 2 worse of the bunch i had on little to no gear,I WISH I HAD!
                        thoughts create things

Comment

i wear my gear regardless cuz thats the only protection i have if i go down. I cant imagine a t shirt doin much protecting . My fellow riders give me crap bout ridding with my gear on in 87 degree weather last weekend and i said hey if we go down cuz someone pulls out in front of us ill get back up and call for an ambulance u guys can pick up ur limbs

Comment

Crazy Lil Bastages!!

I've been down enough to say the gear makes the difference!!! I gotta agree it can get hot but...I'd rather be HOT on my bike then Cold on a Steel Table!!! Ill wear a tank top under my Mesh Jacket a lid the rest of my contact points are pretty much always armored! And I figgured they got the term "Squid" watching these 120lb kids hanging onto the grips for dear life with there Legs flailing behind there Gixxer 1Ks!!!
                            Looks Like a Squid to mee!! Too funny!!
                            Joker
                            The newest addition to the Family!
                            sigpic
                            stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
                              Ill wear a tank top under my Mesh Jacket
                              I forgot to mention -- in hot weather, I wear evaporative-type sports Tshirts under my perf leathers, or if I wear cotton, I wet it first (evaporative cooling).

Meanwhile, I just received a batch of special bandana-style headbands that have a moisture gel inside, designed to help keep your forehead cool. I'm going to test one out here this coming weekend, and if works as expected, I'll have them for sale in my special offers thread.

cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yesh the head bands work great! My work issues them to us for the summer. There more like gelled Do rags you can put in the freezer the night b4
                                Joker
                                The newest addition to the Family!
                                sigpic
                                stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Working...
                                X