X

Thought provoker

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought provoker

Has anyone ever tried adding a rifling pattern to the engine side of the carb throat (not saying I'm planning to, just as a discussion on theory)
    This thought comes from seeing some kind of vortex generator you're supposed to put in your intake tract in a car, its supposed to improve mileage, power, make you young and sexy, grow money in your shorts.....
    Obviously, it seems putting something like this in would be an obstruction to airflow more than any gains it would supposedly create.

However, would adding rifling grooves to the tract be able to generate any kind of vortex, getting the good( if there's any to be had) and removing any kind of obstruction?

lol just a thought...taking a break from chem hw, thought I'd try physics for a bit
    ----------------------------------
    1992 GSX600f
    1976 Z400

www.cityriders.weebly.com

I've done some reading on this actually, and all research on this seems to say that intake vortex generators don't really work (except in jet aircraft). So, if I were you, I wouldn't bother.
    -
    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Ah, no, I wasn't gonna actually do this, just throwing it up for discussion. I'm thinking that the outer layers of the incoming charge may be able to get caught in the grooves, but the distance is too short and velocity too slow for them to influence the rest of the air column, unless someone has an idea to the contrary

as an aside, anyone who's about 180 lb with an rf900 rear shock on their pre-600 wanna share their favorite settings? It's been rainy, bikes in the garage since the swap
      Last edited by Bugg; 04-22-2009, 12:31 AM.
      1992 GSX600f
      1976 Z400

Comment

The vortex thing works on very old, poorly engineered, very large displacement engines that typically run at low RPM's, because they didn't inherently churn/tumble the air-fuel mix very well to ensure evenly disbursed fuel-air mixtures... Any car built in the last 35 years probably won't benefit one iota, but something like a 1950's packard V8 probably would.

As for the Kats, the smooth bores of the carbs are critical to proper fueling -- add any form of surface irregularity and you might create an off-pressure spot right above the jets, resulting in bad fueling. The critical place the fuel-air mix needs to 'vortex' as you call it is in the cylinder, and the Kats all use an engineered solution Suzuki calls TSCC (twin swirl combustion chamber). See the KatWiki entry for TSCC here:

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hey , I wanted to mention the TSCC and sound all smart .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I dont think it has enough wind speed to create a vortex

Comment

Originally posted by BUCKJFLOWERS View Post
              I dont think it has enough wind speed to create a vortex
              If you're talking about the Kat's intake system, by the time it gets into the cylinder, it's created not just one, but two counter-rotating ones.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It does not go that fast haha just joking

The kat does not go that fast lol just joking
                Last edited by BUCKJFLOWERS; 04-22-2009, 04:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRxTwzOvS7Q"]YouTube - Test It Tuesday: The Tornado Fuel Saver[/ame]

your answer above.
                  R.I.P. Marc

Comment

It's not a matter of how fast the bike moves, it's a matter of how small the opening into the engine is and how much air has to move through it.

A 600 cc Kat engine has 150 cc cylinders.
                    Turning at 9k RPM, that means that each cylinder needs to breath in once every 4500th of a minute, or 75 times a second. 150cc x 75 times a second... That's just shy of 3 gallons per second per cylinder -- and those three gallons are being shoved through two intake valves that are under the size of a quarter across (and only lifting up by about 1/4-1/3 inch at max to start with)... Yeah, the speed to vortex is there.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

Last edited by The CyberPoet; 04-22-2009, 04:27 PM.
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah the tornado is what i was thinking of, and i was pretty sure it was a load of crap lol i got my answer

So, any answers on my shock question?
                      1992 GSX600f
                      1976 Z400

Comment

Working...
                      X