No announcement yet.
X

Shell gas info ( Cyber check this out )

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got some shell a few days ago when i was on the red line so as soon as i put it in my idel went up some and the rpms bounced up and down due to the change over in new mix ....did not notice any thing but that , but did not drive far enough to tell. AND ITS ALWAYS 91 IN ALL MY TWO WHELLERS

Comment

You do realize you can have a perfectly clean flawless combustion chamber free of carbon without buy a gimmick fuel or additive...

I recently had the head off my dirtbike after a year of abuse and found no carbon what so ever... I run 87 octane and synthetic oil only.
      This is very common findings on most enegine I work on that are well tuned and run true synthetics.
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

all the Shell stations here are full serve. There is no way Im going to let someone fill up the Kat and Im not going to pay the full serve price of gas if I can pump it myself.

Comment

I am going to have to see if it works what are the gas prices around yalls area

Comment

Central Minnesota. Last couple weeks its bounced between 1.99 and now 2.09. I work at a full service gas station here and we're always the same price as everyone else in town. How much more is the Full Service station by you?
            I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

He was so full of knowlege it's astounding
            Reading the news, my heart was pounding.
            My prayers go out to his family & friends.
            He is the best there was and ever been.
            RIP Marc "Cyberpoet" Glasgow

Comment

i only use what ever is the cheapest, usually race track or one of the two truck stops down by my house, petro or the pilot. Been doing it for years, have an 89 formula firebird with 230K on the clock so i dont see the point in spending more.

Comment

Originally posted by BUCKJFLOWERS View Post
                I am going to have to see if it works what are the gas prices around yalls area
                you are serously going to remove the head from you bike and inspect it.. then run it for a year and re-inspect it?

other wise i would love to know how you are going to test to see if it works
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

OK, Bergy2 asked for my input... here goes:

I think the nitrogen claim is a combination of marketing hype (mostly) and reality (of both mass-market economics and cleaning ability).

The bottom line reality is that they've figured out a way to make their fuel-cleaner additives only need 5 times the EPA-mandated minimum amount and still give you the same or greater benefits than their previous fuel additive gave with 10 times the EPA-mandated minimum amount. Yup, you heard that right -- Shell's previous fuel at one point had 10 times the EPA-mandated amount of detergents/additives in it (according to a shell claims at the time).
                  The new additive package, by virtue of needing less of it, should probably be cheaper to produce in quantity, definitely be cheaper to ship around in bulk (because additives are normally placed into the fuel when it goes into the transport truck to move to the gas station itself), and cheaper to store in bulk (less real estate required). Given that the transport and storage costs probably exceed the actual production cost, even if the additive is 30% more expensive to make per-gallon, it'd still be a savings for the on the whole. Thus, any increase in price at the pump over their old stuff reflects their associated marketing costs (not the production/distribution costs of the product); the price difference between cheap no-name fuel with minimum EPA-additives and shell's fuels represents the difference in value of the fuel as a whole.

The marketing hype is the fact that they are screaming it from the roof-tops (the hype aspect)... V-Power brand Shell gasoline has been on the market for over a year in our area.

The only thing I suspect is marketing hyperbole involves their press-release claim that using the nitrogen-basis somehow protects the metals to some degree (once clean) against future build-up when using "cheap" gas. I can't see how, unless the nitrogen effectively over years nitride-coats the bare metal of the intake valves, their solution could claim protection beyond the actual use of the product. I suspect this was a bit of mis-communication between the engineers and the marketing people, where the engineers said "it'll help keep the engine clean and protect against build-up even better than before" and the marketing people wiggled it around into something else by the time the press release went out...

-----------

Other thoughts:

The best I've been able to figure out, there were three major fuel companies in the USA that historically do their own additives research & packaging: shell, chevron (now chevron-texaco) and exxon (now exxon-mobil). Exxon and Shell merged (or tried to merge; I think it was sucessful) their fuel & lube additives' companies about twelves years ago...
                  All three of these parent firms have historically sold fuels with much higher than EPA-mandated amounts of detergents/anti-filming/anti-oxidation additives in their fuels and marketed that fact. In my own experience, both Shell and Chevron have had exceptional track-records in keeping deposit levels down (and reducing them) -- I honestly haven't torn into enough engines or fuel systems fed almost exclusively exxon's fuel to know how it stacks up (probably well) by comparison to the other two (or even to cheap gas).

Chevron (and since '01/'02 Texaco) use Techron as their primary detergent package, and it's a great package -- good enough that it's actually my recommendation as a stand-alone fuel system cleaner product. Shell's fuels have been extremely aggressive at cleaning for as long as I can remember, and got significantly better around '98/'99 due to a new package they started using (or due to a higher level of it, not sure there).

Bottom line: you simply can't really go wrong buying good detergent packages in your fuel, and certain brands are an assurance of that level of additives (Shell, Chevron).
                  Do I buy these brands consistently for my bikes? Honestly, no, because of their locations compared to my house (I tend to fill up at the last gas station before home), but I do make a point of burning their fuels when I'm out on the road, knowing that their additives will work best in the bike when not given the opportunity to evaporate their lighter compounds out of the tank, and me knowing that buying them also reduces the odds that I'll get stuck with crap-fuel away from home...

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                  CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                  The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                  Last edited by The CyberPoet; 04-24-2009, 03:07 AM.
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I didn't like the way it comes out of the spicket at the station near me. If not careful it will spray out all over your tank and clothes. Looks as if they have small holes drilled in the end of the tube and additionally sprays sideways. Live and learn hu?
                    But as far as the gas.....I like it.
                    It is also located right across the street from a RaceTrack, and a QT, and they match the competitions price. So I get the Shell gas for the RaceTrack price. Can't beat that with a stick!
                    Last edited by tnvatdreamland; 04-24-2009, 08:13 AM. Reason: addition
                    It's not speed that kills, it's the deceleration!

Experience is a hard teacher. She gives you the test first, and then teaches the lesson.

TXSBR.com Alais: TexasSportBiker

Comment

Working...
                    X