X

Throttle?????????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle?????????

I noticed how much play there is with my throttle about a 1/4 inch of play, is this normal? Should'nt it be w/o play, so when I twist the throttle it immediately responds? Just trying to figure out if I can or need to adjust it or just go buy another one? Thanks
    ADRELINE JUNKIE!!!!!

"ALWAYS RESPECT WHAT'S IN BETWEEN YOUR LEGS"

sigpic

No , there SHOULD be a few mm's of play . Not a TON mind you , but a little . Bikes with NO play just feel too touchy to me . And too much play makes it hard to be smooth on the throttle . Start by trying to adjust it at the throttle . The little locknut and barrel adjuster . Loosen the locknut , then turn the barrel until desired freeplay is reched , then re-tighten .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
      Start by trying to adjust it at the throttle . The little locknut and barrel adjuster . Loosen the locknut , then turn the barrel until desired freeplay is reched , then re-tighten .
      I'll add to MD post, but if there is no slack there, then you'll need to make adjustments at the carbs.

This is an old pic of mine.

How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
        I'll add to MD post, but if there is no slack there, then you'll need to make adjustments at the carbs.

This is an old pic of mine.

Um, about that. His bike only has the one cable... it's a pre.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yeah, I think it does only have one cable as Krey stated. I am going to make adjustment like MD suggested and I will go from there. It just makes it difficult because I have to turn so far before it really picks up the carbs! Thanks for the info.
          ADRELINE JUNKIE!!!!!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Um, about that. His bike only has the one cable... it's a pre.
            My comment was more for location of the cable(s) then description.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

THe adjuster at the bar is the "fine adjuster" . The "coarse adjuster" is at the carbs . I was HOPING the fine one would get you close enough without having to go balls-deep , as it were .... And yes , the pre has 1 cable and post has 2 .

Comment

The pre also doesn't have any real adjustment at the carbs. There's only one nut and it goes under the bracket to hold the cable housing in place. There's no good way to get another nut on there, either since they won't go on over the end of the cable. If you're out of adjustment at the throttle it's time for a new cable. Only other choice is to cut slots in some washers to go over the cable and slide them onto the housinng threads before attaching to the bracket. (Pretty ghetto but it'd get you by for a week or two until you got a new cable.)
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks, MD and Squiddy, I adjusted the fine screw on the bar by the throttle and it worked great! Thanks guys!!!!

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                  The pre also doesn't have any real adjustment at the carbs. There's only one nut and it goes under the bracket to hold the cable housing in place. There's no good way to get another nut on there, either since they won't go on over the end of the cable. If you're out of adjustment at the throttle it's time for a new cable. Only other choice is to cut slots in some washers to go over the cable and slide them onto the housinng threads before attaching to the bracket. (Pretty ghetto but it'd get you by for a week or two until you got a new cable.)
                  Good stuff! Thanks!
                  Last edited by BIGKATDOG; 03-16-2009, 05:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  ADRELINE JUNKIE!!!!!

sigpic

Comment

I prefer mine with about 1/2mm of play...

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    When set right, in a quiet setting, releasing the throttle (bike off) you should hear a distinctive click as the butterflies snap closed. I use that sound to set the cable tension myself -- I keep loosening until I hear it, tighten until it disappears, then loosen again until it just reappears.
                    Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                    CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                    The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      The pre also doesn't have any real adjustment at the carbs.
                      Really ? 'Cause i'm pretty sure you can turn the barrel out some to get less slack ...... But it's been a while . I may have to look at that closer next time I's tinkerin ....

Comment

Really. If you back the barrel out you're leaving the one and only nut holding it to the carbs behind and leaving the cable housing loose in teh bracket. It can be done but I sure wouldn't recommend it.
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

That just sounds odd ..... I'll have to remember to take a look at it next time I's tinkerin with 'em . I coulda SWORN there was a coarse adjustment down there

Comment

This actually sort of answers an unasked question of mine as well. For the posts with two cables, is there any secret of maintaining a balance between the two?

Comment

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
                              This actually sort of answers an unasked question of mine as well. For the posts with two cables, is there any secret of maintaining a balance between the two?
                              Not really. Do the click-sound adjustment I spoke of above, with the handlebars turned all the way to the right, and if either is too tight, you wouldn't get the sound.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                              CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                              The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X