X

HELP!!!! Need a bung for a fuel tank.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!!! Need a bung for a fuel tank.

I need a bung that has a stud in it that way I can feed a wire in to my fuel tank? Want my gas gauge back! Something like a 1/4" smooth bushing that is filled with silicone with a stud in the middle that I can hook wires to. BUT its got to work with gas. I know they exist. I just cant figure out whare to buy one from? Or what term to use for searching? Please help.
    Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
    6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
    5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Tough one... I'd start by searching for vendors who build custom tanks or racing tanks and ask them...

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
    CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
    The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

so thats what a bung is for? i only remembered it as part of a phrase: bung-hole

To be honest I'm not sure If my gas gauge works because it had gas in it but would not read it. I don't know if it was just reserve in there though.

Comment

A bung is the word for anything solid that is designed to force-fit to a hole to close it. A bung-hole is traditionally the hole on a barrel that they knock the bung (cork or rubber plug) into to seal it after filling and before long-term storage.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
          A bung is the word for anything solid that is designed to force-fit to a hole to close it. A bung-hole is traditionally the hole on a barrel that they knock the bung (cork or rubber plug) into to seal it after filling and before long-term storage.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet

The more you know

Comment

Well so far Ive came up with nothing in store baught parts. Everyone sez they have seen them. But no one seams to have a clew whare to get one.

A few of us at work have came up with the idea of using a 3/8 nylon pipe plug and drilling it #4. Then force thread a #6 ss stud in the whole using loctite gasket sealer on the threads. We are all pretty sure this will work. I guess we will see.
            Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles

Comment

my question is how are you going to get your fuel gauge back? if you had a float or something you had to put into your tank, then wouldn't that all come packaged together for the wiring?

also is your tank plastic or metal?

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Try searching "Fuel Tank Stopper"

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

something like this?

Fuel Safe has some connectors, but the above i think is from here: http://www.altechcorp.com/PDFS/LTSR_Straight.pdf

just get a fuel save rubber part.

or head down to the local marine shop http://www.marineengine.com/products...php?in=2560408

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80 View Post
                    something like this?

Fuel Safe has some connectors, but the above i think is from here: http://www.altechcorp.com/PDFS/LTSR_Straight.pdf

just get a fuel save rubber part.

or head down to the local marine shop http://www.marineengine.com/products...php?in=2560408
                    Yup something like that. We actually use them at work all the time. I hadnt found any that wer fuel safe tho. I could take some ss rod and run it through that. then thread each end. This part is actually sticking out of the bottom of my tank. so it will have gas on it at all times. I will study more tomarrow.

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    That may work also. Im going to call mcmastercar tomarrow. and Ill go by the hobby shop after work. Ironic if I buy a part for a model plane for my dragbike.
                    Last edited by BLACKDEATH; 03-11-2009, 10:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKDEATH View Post
                      I need a bung that has a stud in it

I know this one industrial club that might be able to help... The dress code is a little odd though, lots of denim and leather...
                      None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
                      -Robert Morrison

"
                      well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

my question is how are you going to get your fuel gauge back? if you had a float or something you had to put into your tank, then wouldn't that all come packaged together for the wiring?

also is your tank plastic or metal?
                        My tank is metal. and thats an easy one. The factory plate on the bottom of the tank held the fuel pump/filter/gauge/and wiring. It was a 1/4 inch fuel system. Now I am running a 3/8" external fuel pump system. I have a 1/4 al blockoff plate whare the factory plate was. I tig welded a new bracket to hold the factory sending unit. And have a -6 and -4 fitting in the plate for the fuel pump and return from the blowby regulator. I just cant hook the sending unit up because I need to get my signal wire in to the pump. Guess I could try using a 1/2 nylon plate instead of the al. THen the conductivity of the plate wouldnt be an issue. I dont want to do that tho because I like the structural integrity of the al plate with the fittings sticking out. That and my bracket to hold the sending unit mounts to that removable plate.

Originally posted by philwecksr View Post
                        I know this one industrial club that might be able to help... The dress code is a little odd though, lots of denim and leather...
                        Would a full race suit count as the leather? lol. and sorry. dont go that way.
                        Last edited by BLACKDEATH; 03-11-2009, 10:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles

Comment

i was curious as most of the bikes already pass electric through the tank at the plate that normally holds the internal pump &sending unit and it is metal. Sounds almost like you could reused the oem plate and connectors? but i guess i might be a bit confused, when you say you need to thread a wire through, is that electrical wire or plain metal wire?

The link to the one i sent says gas resistant, now don't know if that is gasoline or a natural gas.

Comment

i was curious as most of the bikes already pass electric through the tank at the plate that normally holds the internal pump &sending unit and it is metal. Sounds almost like you could reused the oem plate and connectors? but i guess i might be a bit confused, when you say you need to thread a wire through, is that electrical wire or plain metal wire?

The link to the one i sent says gas resistant, now don't know if that is gasoline or a natural gas.
                            No prob bout being curious. I had tried to reuse the factory plate. But the 3/8 and 1/4 lines take up too much space. Remember thats 3/8 and 1/4 id. The od on the fuel line Im using is a decent amount larger. I cant get it all to fit with the factory plate and adjustible regulator under the tank. So a full aftermarket setup is all I can go with. I did call a couple of the places you gave me today. But I was too late. so hopefully they will call me back tomarrow.
                            Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles

Comment

this seems odd .. maybe just dont get it .. buy a good used tank .

Comment

Working...
                              X