X

Clutch cable broke while riding

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
    But you have to stock parts that you know are going to sell. That is why you are in the business.
    I know what your saying, but that is normally going to be parts that are universal, even across Makes sometimes. Or the full bikes themselves.

I know over the past 6 months, of all the various parts I've been getting for both my 93 Kat 750, and the wifes 90 Ninja 250... Only 1 part has been a "stock" item. That was the 530 press on master link for the chain.

Everything else has been ordered, and pick up in 1-3 days, for all dealerships I've contacted. (Local warehouse here though, is only 26 miles away, so that may also be a factor for the shops here).

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

it's not just the monies tied up in parts sitting on the shelf waiting to be sold. With the end of the fiscal year coming up they have to do an inventory to pay taxes on their assets, such as those parts on the shelf.
      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

wow stealerships they sure do take alot of money... i got a used one 15$ and longer one at that and it cleared my pods then the important part is properly oiling the entire cable tape a funnel to one end fill funnel with oil and hang and let drip when it is dripping out the other end it is ready to install

best bet is a motorcycle recycle/grave yard and learning to do the small things your self buy the manual for your bike and read it you will save some real money in the long run and will answer any questions you can have for your bike its like a bible for your bike

when all else fails we are all here for ya and do the best we can to lend a helping hand

Comment

I've done that job in LESS than a half hour in a parking lot . Seriously . SCREW that shop . You can get the clutch lifter mechanism (that whole thing bolted into the sprocket cover the cable attaches to) for $43 from ronayers , and the cable is $12 . Hardest part will be adjusting the clutch when you're done . Oh , and getting the grease off your hands : .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I think I had the same thing happen to me. I got off the highway pull the clutch lever in and nothing. Anyway if it is the same it only cost $40 or so. I think it is , it engages a push rod. Was not real hard to do. What MD said .
            sigpic

RIP CP
            50th Anniv R6
            95 Katana 600
            http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Comment

My brother used to tell me old timers tied a spare clutch cable along the existing one..
              I'm thinking about it. Loosing a cable while out and about would stink!

Comment

ok so i got the bike back from the shop all fixed up or so i thought the clutch cable and screw assembly were both replaced however now when i switch gears with my left foot (not pull in the clutch the lever is fine) the tranny or engine makes a hitting sound like im shifting into first all the time. the only gears that it dosnt happen on is 5th and 6th i think didnt get to test it 100%. and when i down shift it feels like theres no tension at all but it does down shift. sorry if none of this makes sence i really dont know how else to explane it.

I HATE STEALERSHIPS FIX ONE PROBLEM AND CREAT ANOTHER
                Last edited by jono237; 03-15-2009, 11:48 PM.

Comment

get close to the handle and listen for a pop in it if there is ajust the ajuster nut and see if it will go away the pop on mine was the cable draging across the opening in the ajusting bolt and i had a few threads left so i replaced it took 20 minutes and the new one also made the noies spun the bolt around and it stoped poping and draging across the nut

and the problem goes away

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                    I have had to ride twice without a clutch after my cable snapped. When u get it repaired, make sure the adjuster on the handlebar and the adjuster nut are NOT aligned, it will cause it to fray and bbreak.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by jono237 View Post
                      however now when i switch gears (not pull in the clutch) the tranny or engine makes a hitting sound like im shifting into first all the time.
                      Yeah , um , DON'T DO THAT !!!!!!!!!! That ain't something the dealer did , man . If the clutch is adjusted right , it's fine . I doubt the dealer tore apart your tranny just to make a couple extra bucks off you ....
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

im sorry again i wasnt clear i do pull the clutch in when i shift i ment to say that when i shift gears with my left foot it makes the sound but the clutch cable itself seems fine and the clutch works the way it should after i change gears it makes the sound not after i pull the clutch. hope thats better

Comment

Sounds like your clutch isn't dis-engaging completely. Check the cable for slack.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                          X