X

Clutch cable broke while riding

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch cable broke while riding

I'm no expert but I think my clutch cable went out on me while riding. I was down shifting coming to a red light and the clutch lever just lost all resistence as if the cable snaped. So needless to say I had to get towed on my first real riding day of the season. I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come. I just bought this bike and it's my first bike. I even got up early just to ride since I've been checkin the weather all week for the 1st good day. Oh man hope this didn't cost much!

I have had to ride twice without a clutch after my cable snapped. When u get it repaired, make sure the adjuster on the handlebar and the adjuster nut are NOT aligned, it will cause it to fray and bbreak.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

The cable doesn't cost much and it's easy to install yourself. Takes a 1/2" wrench and a couple of allen wrenches to pull the windscreen, left mirror, left fairing, belly fairing and sprocket cover. Contact The CyberPoet and he can have you one in a couple of days at a really good price. (I just replaced mine.) Before you replace it though, make sure it didn't just come disconnected. Not normal but could happen. Top end of the cable is obvious and the bottom end is inside the sprocket cover on the left side of the engine. You can check for a broken cable by disconnecting it at the lever and pulling on it. If the cable comes out of the housing it's broke. (There's supposed to be a ball at both ends.) If not then maybe you get lucky and it just came disconnected.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

That happened to me on a back road when I had my Gixxer. Definitely not fun. Glad it wasn't dark out at the time. I was able to get mine home with a lot of luck from the stop lights. Really easy repair, it just sucks that you've gotta wait for the part.

Comment

It also COULD be something else . If the sprocket cover bolts ain't tight or a couple jump ship , or the lifter mechanism inside the cover bends ...... Seen both .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Jono, sent you a PM. I have a brand new one from a 2000 600. If it will fit your ride, it's yours for $10.

John
            2000 Katana 600, Hooligan Bike
            2005 FJR 1300 ABS
            2001 Ninja 500 Hooligan Bike

When all ya got is hammers, everything looks like a nail - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
              It also COULD be something else . If the sprocket cover bolts ain't tight or a couple jump ship , or the lifter mechanism inside the cover bends ...... Seen both .
              thanks for the info guys but md86 thats not what i wana hear
              2k pmed you back

Comment

What , you SHOULD know this stuff in case it AIN'T "just a cable" . And these other possibilities are ALSO just as easy , if not EASIER to remedy . Besides , you'll need to remove the sprocket cover to replace a cable ANYWAY , remove it NOW and look for what I mentioned to possibly save you some time . Kids .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                  Besides , you'll need to remove the sprocket cover to replace a cable ANYWAY , remove it NOW and look for what I mentioned to possibly save you some time . Kids .
                  The cover is fairly easy to take off. Do it and find out what's wrong before you buy something you don't need
                  Last edited by alien; 03-09-2009, 12:33 AM.

Comment

ok so the stealership called me back today and its lookin like im out 175 bucks to replace the clutch cable and apparently the actuator or part that the clutch cable is attached to on the trany end needs replaced and was the cause of the problem so 2 parts and labor are 175 bucks yay o and i wont get it back til friday or saturday. Not really happy bout that but they had to order the parts as they never have any parts in stock i mean clutch cable at least is something a dealership should have at least one on hand.

Comment

This is a little off topic but it refers getting a vehicle back. I can pull a radiator from an International DT466 tractor and have it back in and filled 1-1/2 hour later. I can pull an alternator from said truck and have it back on the road in 1/2 hour. Clutch fan, 1 hour. If the boss says we need the truck, I have it back to him the same day after I do my regular route work of taking care of my customers. I do much of the bull crap work on our company vehicles that isn't worth sending to a garage. All motor, tranny and rear jobs get sent out.

You mean to tell me that a dealer that does this for a living can't get your bike back to you the next day? In these times of money problems, that dealer should kiss your feet from the minute you walked in the door. They are not busy, just lazy. And don't give me the crap they have to order it. That should be an in stock item.
                      Last edited by Kfreak; 03-10-2009, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jono237 View Post
                        ok so the stealership called me back today and its lookin like im out 175 bucks to replace the clutch cable and apparently the actuator or part that the clutch cable is attached to on the trany end needs replaced and was the cause of the problem so 2 parts and labor are 175 bucks yay o and i wont get it back til friday or saturday. Not really happy bout that but they had to order the parts as they never have any parts in stock i mean clutch cable at least is something a dealership should have at least one on hand.
                        BS. I bet someone on the board has the parts you need to fix the bike, and you could do it yourself very easily. Try PMing arsenic to start for the cover, the actuator, or the push rod.

Call the dealer and get part numbers on what they want to replace...
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Parts on hand means high costs. If you need to cut back on costs, switching to ordering everything is a way to save alot on business. The only money spent is for needed parts and supplies.

It's not convienant, but it's sound business when everything slows down and you need to cut costs to keep the doors open.

It's almost always cheaper to do it yourself... unless you really screw it up.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

im normaly a do it yourself kinda guy but to be honest im still learning my way around the bike and as ive only owned it over the winter and road it for 3 days i figured id let them do it this time and i had to get it towed. Im not very confident i can find my way around my bike yet but i am learning a lot from you guys on here and hopefully the next time i need something ill be confident enough to do it myself. Heck im still on my permit and wont get my license til the end of the month. As far as the stealership they really arnt bad on part prices just the install that they gouge you on and to be honest ill be ok cuz this will be the last time im goin there anyway. Ill consider it stimulating the economy

Comment

But you have to stock parts that you know are going to sell. That is why you are in the business.

Comment

Working...
                              X