X

I want to remove my lowering links.help pls

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to remove my lowering links.help pls

I noticed something the other night when I installed my exhaust. My centerstand doesn't bottom out and rest against the exhaust bumper, but rather is banging around on my lowering links. I bought the bike last summer and the guy gave me the factory links, and it is currently set up on the "stock" ride height. Anyway, I went to remove them to put the originals on...how the heck do you get to the top bolt/nut??? The bottom one was rediculously tight, and I can tell that someone has sort of rounded the edges off of the top one.

Put the bike on the centerstand, then put a jack under the swing arm to support it (this will unload the bolt). Without knowing which year/model you have, I can't tell you specifically how to get to the bolt, but in general (98+ models):
    remove the heel guards, seat, and depending on the model, the tail fairings. You should be able to reach the bolt from the sides with an extension on a socket wrench.

When you get the dogbones out, there's a tube in the lower section that the bolt rides on -- push it out, clean it, slather a bunch of grease into the bearings, then reinsert the tube before bolting the new (original) dogbones back into place. You'll have to move the jack's height to align the holes since the dogbone length are different.

PS - if you want taller rise than stock, let me know; I have a small batch of special Suzuki-manufactured dogbones (3/4 - 1" rise over stock) for the 98+ models left that I'm trying to clear out.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
    CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
    The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I figured there had to be some removal of stuff required. I just kept reading how "easy" it was and wanted to be sure before I dismantled my tail end that I wasn't missing something.

Another question, since I have no baseline to go by, should my front forks be about 1" above the tree? I'm trying to figure out if he also lowered the front when he had it. As it is now they stick through right at an inch. Is that factory height or should they be flush.

Its an 06 600. As always...thanks!

Comment

Factory height on the forks is typically flush or within 1mm of flush.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

This was a write-up I did of how to install lowering links: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=56383

Maybe it'll help
          "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Thats a great write up...and good to know about the factory forks. I thought the ride seemed a little stiff, but based on the fact that I have aftermarket links...which look like they still lower 1" or so on the "stock" setting, and the fact that my forks stick through the tree about 1.25"...it all makes sense. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X