X

Valves adjusting --when

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valves adjusting --when

This bike has 13700 on a 2002 600 kat do they really need adjusting or just when it makes some noise ?? Or if ever ... Can a bike go 75,000 without ever adjusting the top end ????

err,,,, if i remember right, should have adjusted at first 700 miles service.... then recheck/adjust at 7500 miles service... then again about every 7500 miles thereafter.

some probably make it... but have the valves adjusted, if not anything else but proper engine performance.

See My Garage for mods...
    T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
    Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

I believe it is the first 600 miles then at 7500 and every 7500 after... none the less, it is a great preventative maintenance item that can save you from frying your motor!

I have a few questions as I am tearing into my valves now;
      1. From what I have read, you dont have to use a gasket sealer on the Signal Generator...so I am going without that.

2. Based on this post: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/katana/trinc/valve.htm the very bottom picture says to make sure to apply a small a bead of silicone to the cam end caps. The manual says to apply the suzuki bond "1207B" to the cylinder head cover groove and the cam shaft end caps. I just want to make sure I put the correct material on the right place. Is the bond a silicone and does it go on the cover groove and cam caps or what?

Thanks,
      Last edited by miller7170; 03-04-2009, 09:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

That's my website (although the write-up is by Trinc); I never use sealant on the valve cover gasket (period) and have never had a leak unless I didn't seat it correctly before bolting it down. About every five years, you need to replace that rubber valve cover gasket (heat, duty starts to make it less than ideally viable). Do watch out of for the two positioning pins to guide the cover onto the engine -- it's easy to have one fall into the valve area if you're not too careful...

As for "can I go 75k miles without a valve adjustment"? I doubt it, although you *just might* make it that far if you never go over 5k RPM with the engine and use oils exceptionally high in anti-galling compounds & detergents. These engines are high-rev'ing engines and as a result, valves wear, plus build-up carbon, and thus change settings (just like on any car that has an above 8k redline, such as Ferrari's, etc.). The adjustments compensate for that wear & build-up rate, to keep the performance up and the cylinder compression right.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cyber, Thanks for the information. So, do I apply some silicone to the cam ends, and if so what type kind etc?

One last question....where, approximately are the two positioning pins, and where do they tend to stay attached to, the engine or the valve cover?
          Thanks so much
          Last edited by miller7170; 03-04-2009, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by miller7170 View Post
            So, do I apply some silicone to the cam ends?
            That's up to you. Suzi says to use it, individual owners say it's not necessary.

I used the first time, then the second time I did not.

One last question....where, approximately are the two positioning pins, and where do they tend to stay attached to, the engine or the valve cover?
            Clarify as to what you mean by "positioning pins".
            Last edited by squiggy; 03-04-2009, 11:15 PM.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Cyber, Thanks for the information. So, do I apply some silicone to the cam ends, and if so what type kind etc?

Thanks so much

the pins are on the left front corner, and right rear corner (just about).

As CP says, WATCH these pins.

when i did my 7500 service, i did the valves too... on removing the valve cover, i heard the sound of something fall in the engine.

the left front stayed in the valve cover, then fell out, and went RIGHT DOWN THE OIL RETURN LINE

the other stayed in the engine.

magnet on a steeeeek couldn't reach it, so... remove the oil cooler, remove the header and all exhaust, remove the oil pan, dig around in the oil return line, find the pin... reverse.

added about 2hrs to the job... th ONLY good thing to come of it was I installed my shift kit while i was in there.

DO NOT DROP THOSE PINS!!!!

See My Garage for mods...
              T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
              Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                the pins are on the left front corner, and right rear corner (just about).
                +1

One is normally mated to the cover, and one is mated to the head, but they do come loose for no good reason when you least expect it.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Definitely use the sealant - personal experience!!

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                    magnet on a steeeeek
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                    X