X

Clear coat on forks?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear coat on forks?

I was wondering, does anyone know if the 98+ fork upper or lower tubes have any sort of clearcoat on them? I ask because I was going to use brake cleaner on them to get rid of any oils/grease/etc, and wanted to make sure I wouldn't be damaging any sort of protective coating.

Thanks!
    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

There is no protective coating on them. But if there is oil on there you need new seals. If that brake cleaner gets on the seals your going to need new seals.

Comment

I have yet to read about a clearcoat on the stanchion. The lowers I can't say.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Uppers are chromed, lowers are clear coated. I just finished stripping my lowers last week.
        2000 Katana 600
        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by TheCandyman View Post
          There is no protective coating on them. But if there is oil on there you need new seals. If that brake cleaner gets on the seals your going to need new seals.
          Originally posted by squiggy View Post
          I have yet to read about a clearcoat on the stanchion. The lowers I can't say.
          I'm actually in the process of rebuilding my forks anyway, but the lowers is what I'm more concerned about... I don't wanna spray them and then start getting rust and stuff - anyone else know for certain?

Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
          Uppers are chromed, lowers are clear coated. I just finished stripping my lowers last week.
          Oops, was replying when you wrote this - do you know if brake cleaner will strip the clear coat?
          Last edited by Teh_K; 02-28-2009, 06:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

They are made out of aluminum so rust is not an issue.
            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K View Post
              Oops, was replying when you wrote this - do you know if brake cleaner will strip the clear coat?
              Won't do them any favors that's for sure. Just clean them up with dish soap and a brush or your favorite paint safe degreaser, like Simple Green or something.
              2000 Katana 600
              2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Uppers (i.e. inner fork tubes) should be stainless and have no coating.

Lowers (i.e. outer fork tubes) should be aluminum and depending on the year, may have had a coating (I think they started coating the lowers at the factory the same time as they added the fork protectors at the seals -- '04+ models). Easy way to tell: do they look uniformly gray all over? If there are white spots anywhere, it's bare aluminum, and the white spots are where the aluminum rusted... When I had my Kats, I'd simply take standard metal polish (Blue Magic) to the lowers once every 3 to 6 months and polish 'em back up. The polish contained a coating that would help keep them bright longer before needing to be polished again.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

My '00 forks are definitely cleared. The clear is thin as heck, but it's there.
                  2000 Katana 600
                  2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Hm - I guess I'll assume they're cleared. Thanks, all!

Comment

Working...
                    X