X

Why do people remove one front rotor?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people remove one front rotor?

I have seen this on a few bikes...Is it to show off the wheels better? I'd rather have more brake ...I dont get it, Must be a squid thing?
    1992 kawa Zx-7 -750cc
    2003 fairings,1995 gas tank,polished frame,muzzy titanium exhaust,Unknown jet kit,520 chain conversion,polished forks,race tail,fcr flatside carbs...
    sigpic1989 katana 1100F,v&H exhaust,FP jet kit,FP advancer,avon venom tires,polished swingarm,NRC covers ,big bore kit,manual cam chain tensioner,k&n filters .
    Burn rubber, not your soul. Ride among us.
    A.S.E. master certified auto tech

why is the sky blue, why is the grass green

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
      why is the sky blue, why is the grass green
      green grass? all we have around here is snow

Comment

It's a style thing. Drag bikes, which don't really need as much braking capacity, will remove them for weight savings (which improves power-to-weight ratio). If you aren't running a drag bike, but want less-than-knowledgeable people to think you are, removing a front caliper sounds pretty reasonable, if not dumb.
        '97 YZF1000R, '98 & '02 Bandit 1200's, '72 XS-2, '97 CBR900RR Project, '85 700 Interceptor, '75 RD350

Comment

Some bikes only hane one front rotor...
          Too old to dream, too young to reason...
          I am fond of my rough edges.
          sigpic

Comment

Dave ,But on the subject of removing an existing one on a dual brake front setup is what im speakin of....Im super sure that the manufacturer put it there for a reason and no amount of backyard testing should prove its uselessness....As far as drag bikes I can appreciate that answer but people think a drag bike consists of an extended swingarm and a missing caliper...lmao rode On the street no less....To me a drag bike has a maxed out engine block fiberglass oversized fairings painted headlights and a car sized rear slick .etc not just an extended s/w...I seriously wonder if thats why we get a bad name from the american bike riders ....its like driving a souped up honda and an older guy driving a 67 charger R/T .I assume that gives us a bad rep ........

Im gonna go take the front rotors off my car and see whats up...lol J/K
            1992 kawa Zx-7 -750cc
            2003 fairings,1995 gas tank,polished frame,muzzy titanium exhaust,Unknown jet kit,520 chain conversion,polished forks,race tail,fcr flatside carbs...
            sigpic1989 katana 1100F,v&H exhaust,FP jet kit,FP advancer,avon venom tires,polished swingarm,NRC covers ,big bore kit,manual cam chain tensioner,k&n filters .
            Burn rubber, not your soul. Ride among us.
            A.S.E. master certified auto tech

Comment

2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
              BMC Notorious 918 HT
              2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Probably they read on the internet or a friend told them about the weight savings by removing the disk, caliper, hose and all the bolts for it.

but I'm with you, it's a squid factor.
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

All the ones I've seen have done it for bling factor, typically to show off aftermarket wheels (including spinners for the bike). Show bikes seem to be commonly affected in our area...

While very small bikes (typically 500cc and under) often come stock with a single front rotor, larger/faster bikes need the extra braking capability to compensate. The place you can really tell it's squid-engineering (Squigeneering?) is when they do it without changing the master cylinder at the same time to correctly compensate. It falls into the same category as those who put 12" extended swingarms on bikes that will never generate enough power to loft the front wheel in the first place.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                  CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                  The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Or perhaps the home based mechanic forgot to put the second set of caliper back on after a brake job, lol!
                    sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Originally posted by David F C View Post

Comment

The the Bling thing to do is to cut it in half???
                        sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Certainly saves money every time the brake job comes around...rebuild, pads, rotor, easier to bleed. Of course, the first time the front end gets replaced because the single rotor front end is buried in some soccer mom's tailgate, the frugality might be regretted.

Comment

Certainly saves money every time the brake job comes around...rebuild, pads, rotor, easier to bleed. Of course, the first time the front end gets replaced because the single rotor front end is buried in some soccer mom's tailgate, the frugality might be regretted.
                            sigpic

Comment

Its popular with the 600 supersports to lighten up the front end.
                              Makes for easier wheelies, less drag, less unspring weight on the suspension etc
                              Its popular with drag racers and street racers/stunt riders

Anyone I talked to said they can stil easily stoppie with a single front rotor but with the single there is far less grabiness.

You would never catch me doing it.
                              98 GSX750F
                              95 Honda VT600 vlx
                              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                              X