X

Anyone use lucas fuel system cleaner?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use lucas fuel system cleaner?

I'll start off by saying i love Lucas oil stabilizer (bikes and cars) and the fuel system cleaner (for cars) but for some reason when i use the fuel additive i feel like my kat runs a little sluggish. i thought it was just a coincidence so i waited until i got new gas at a different station and tried it again and it still ran sluggish. Anyone use one that has worked for them?

Fife

I use Seafoam and have never had a problem.
    02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
    90 GSXR 750/1216
    96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
    87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
    sigpic

Comment

I like seafoam also..not sure it does much lol

Comment

i don't know about the oil stabilizer but be careful, might mess up your clutch on your bike.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

I use seafoam works great I haven't had any issues since I started using it
          I MAKE THE ROAD BEG FOR MERCY.... THEN I GO FASTER !

Comment

As for the Seafoam Ive used it before but bot yet in the bike, ill give it a shot.

The oil stabilizer you use as a ratio, i usually cut it down a little less since its a wet clutch but Ive never had a problem with it thus far.

Fife

Comment

How much are you putting in the tank?
              2000 Katana 600
              2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Be very careful using the oil stabilizer to.

The stabilizers cause the oil to stick to components causing oil roping and slow oil migration and increases oil pressure. It also greatly lowers the oil jet velocities. In smaller engines were you need oil to migrate and splash around, drain back quickly its not a good idea to add additives that basically thicken the oil.

Oil stabilizers work well on low rpm high mileage cars and diesels engines where lower oil pressure is an issue and where oil roping is a benifit. Keep it out of you bike engine.

As for the fuel cleaner stop using it. Anything that causes you bike to run sluggish is not doing your fuel system any good.
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                  As for the fuel cleaner stop using it. Anything that causes you bike to run sluggish is not doing your fuel system any good.
                  +1

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                  CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                  The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I originally used the power stearing add. in my plow truck
                    needed a qt every time I used it
                    never got the entire bottle in when leak stopped
                    Never leaked again in 6 yrs after

Guys I know use the fuel addative in there bid rig Deisels and say that the product well pays for itself in fuel economy
                    I would probably cut back amount that you are adding

Seafoam is in a metal can for a reason ,be real careful not to over mix it
                    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I use less than the recommended amount/ratios but i plan on not using the fuel additive anymore, i still use the oil stablilzer but more like %10 of the overall oil not the %20 it says.

Ryan

Comment

I'm a big believer in the Lucas products but I've never tried them in a bike. In my truck (F-150 w/ 5.4L V-8 and 100k miles) I ran the fuel additive in two consecutive tanks of gas and then checked my mileage - up 2 mpg. Similar luck with the oil stabilizer. Truck was burning about a quart every 2k miles. Last oil change I threw in a quart of Lucas and haven't had to add any oil at all in 3k miles. We'll see if the benefits last past the next oil change... I tried the tranny additive a few years ago with a Bronco II that had a badly slipping tranny. Engine would rev and then it would start thinking about moving. I changed the filter and fluid, including a quart of Lucas. Problem solved! The Bronco wasn't any performance machine all of a sudden but it was driveable. With all that said and as much faith as I have in Lucas, I put SeaFoam in the bike.
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Went with seafoam and it definitely worked a lot better than the lucas as far as the bike goes.

Still love me some lucas

Fife

Comment

Ever stop to think how a product works to stop oil consumption that you dump in the crank case?

think about it...an engine that burns /uses oil loses it in 2 major places...
                            #1 piston rings
                            #2 valve seals
                            So how do you stop oil from being used, simple stop or reduce the oil flow
                            Additives like Lucas, engine restore and slick 50 have been used for years but they are all just patch jobs. Products like Lucas coagulate and block oil flow by filling in the areas behind the ring lands and oil passages in the oil ring lands to slow oil consuption. They also coagulate and form seals around worn seals to reduce or stop oil flow.
                            Some products like slick 50 have additives like teflon that adhear to the engine components and build up a film that help build up worn areas and restore lost oil pressure.
                            Thats the good news the bad news is they also reduce the oil/lubrication to the cylinder walls, crank bearings, cam bearings and rockers etc. That coagulated oil clogs up oil jets, and passages that would normally flow upto 5X that amount of oil.
                            So sure your engine does not use as much oil and oil pressure may be higher then it has ever been but with less oil flow... well now you know why many engines these days only last 100,000 miles because people run cheap oils and retarded additives

So what caused this problem in the first place
                            Conventional oil
                            Sludge and deposits from running mineral based and conventional oil build up in the same areas also block oil flow and cause these parts to wear. Once they are worn they quickly start to cause issues like oil consumptions and lack of performance. All you are doing adding LUCAS is filling in the worn areas to stop the oil flow. All you are doing with Lucas in a new engine is speeding up the sludge process.

What you should have done is start running a synthetic oil since new, change it as recommended and then you would have an engine with 150,000 miles that does not use a drop of oil

kinda like my Mistu engine in my talon 350,000 km I have the head/block in my shop after I parted out the car because of a bad frame/suspension. It does not look like the engine was ever run. No carbon, cross hatch is still visable on the cylinders no leaky valves. Compression was still perfect. I kept the engine because its flawless and I plan to buy another DSM in need of and engine and drop this one in. Even just as remarkable it was an auto trans and never had any off the issues that are so common with the overdrive and lock out TC.
                            Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-19-2009, 06:53 PM.
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

And your 84 S-10 only runs this long b/c it did not use an additive?

The 96 toyota outside has 222k miles, doesnt burn a drop and runs amazing, and i put lucas in it.

Do i understand your logic, yes in a way, however these oil do not coagulate as you and i may believe the word to be, they dont harden and fill a void and then never drain. I also use a engine flush as well when i change my oil in cars/trucks and run a qt of clean oil through the open oil plug removing any dirt oil resting.

Not trying to be a A** just giving my .02

Comment

Working...
                              X