X

throttle grip won't return to close.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throttle grip won't return to close.

Hello board. My new Katana's throttle will not close when rotated. In fact the entire grip basically free spends. Would this be the throttle tupe and grip or just the grip needs replacing? Both grips are aftermarket so not sure if the 1st owner knew what he was doing when they were changed.
    FROM WORK:
    "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Did you check the throttle cable? If it is bent or damaged the cable inside it won't return freely and you get a stuck throttle...
    Too old to dream, too young to reason...
    I am fond of my rough edges.
    sigpic

Comment

hmmmm, have to check that. How much involved in change it out?
      FROM WORK:
      "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

Sounds like the cable is binding, frozen or kinked somewhere.
        Time to look at how the cable was routed, if its being bent or kinked.
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Replacing the cable is not that hard.

It's a pain in the ***, but you don't need any special tools or anything.

Comment

yes you do. With a hemostat that pita job wouldn't be such a pita.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              yes you do. With a hemostat that pita job wouldn't be such a pita.
              Agreed!
              Currently Riding:
              1995 Katana 600
              V&H Exhaust
              Jet Kit

SOLD
              2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
              1987 XV700 Bobber
              REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

I have the cables for sale cheaper than your dealer, and can have them on door step in short order if you need them (see my maintenance offers link in my signature).

Now, that said, I'm not sure that your cables need replacing -- they may simply be set too tight. With the bike off, steering pointing to the left, twist the throttle and release. Did you hear a distinctive click? Now turn the steering all the way to the right and repeat. Did you hear a distinctive click this time? Answer these and I'll guide you onward.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                  Answer these and I'll guide you onward.
                  Yes Master yoda.

Comment

Somethng similar happened to my brothers, I was riding and it kept revving really high. We thought it might be the carbs or sumthing but it ended up that the spring in the throttle needed fixed i believe.
                    'Not accidents! Crashes. Almost every crash can be prevented by avoiding distractions while driving.'

Comment

I will check this evening, thanks.
                      Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                      I have the cables for sale cheaper than your dealer, and can have them on door step in short order if you need them (see my maintenance offers link in my signature).

Now, that said, I'm not sure that your cables need replacing -- they may simply be set too tight. With the bike off, steering pointing to the left, twist the throttle and release. Did you hear a distinctive click? Now turn the steering all the way to the right and repeat. Did you hear a distinctive click this time? Answer these and I'll guide you onward.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                      FROM WORK:

Comment

Still waiting to hear on this one...

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I know. Wife was sick yesterday so son and I came home and looked after her. Will check today though. Son as no homework on Wednesdays, woohoo.
                          FROM WORK:

Comment

No click from side to side. I did notice that when I twist the throttle the engine run/stop controls move as well.
                            FROM WORK:

Comment

The throttles are set way, way too tight if the controls move on rotation of the steering.

Instructions on how to set correctly here:
                              Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                              From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                              this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X