X

Air fuel mixture screws

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
    did you use the colortune under load, or just at idle?
    I just used it to set my idle so it was at no load just idling. One of the things I want to do is put a O2 sensor fitting at my collector and put my wideband sensor in there as that way I can record A/F ratio while I am riding.

Tmod
    Last edited by Tmod; 01-25-2009, 09:18 PM.

Comment

4 turns out on the Ivan's gives you a nominal 13.1:1 fuel-air ratio across most of the board (it'll go a little rich in a few spots, down to as low as 12.5:1 and sit around 14 - 14.2:0 at idle), which is ideal for torque without fouling plugs at idle.

Knocking it down to 3.5 turns will give you 13.4:1 across most of the RPM's and about 14.4 - 14.5:1 at idle. It will also increase your fuel mileage quite a bit compared to 4 turns out, but you will lose a minor degree of power & a little bit of that instant response that you get with 4 turns.

And, yes, I looked at these values on a dyno on three separate 98+ Kats (two Kat 600's and one 750) to come up with those numbers.

Unless you are running K&N/Emgo/Foamz/other aftermarket filters, anything between 3.5 and 4 turns should having you running ideally (fast & easy to start, good power, very good responsiveness). If this is the case, and you are stlll having problems obtaining a good, stable idle when warmed up, there is something else amiss in your carbs, or in the cables leading to them (stuck choke cable comes to mind).

As for the carb sync -- turn the idle up to 1850 RPM's to do it, then turn it back down afterwards.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
      CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
      The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
        4 turns out on the Ivan's gives you a nominal 13.1:1 fuel-air ratio across most of the board (it'll go a little rich in a few spots, down to as low as 12.5:1 and sit around 14 - 14.2:0 at idle), which is ideal for torque without fouling plugs at idle.

Knocking it down to 3.5 turns will give you 13.4:1 across most of the RPM's and about 14.4 - 14.5:1 at idle. It will also increase your fuel mileage quite a bit compared to 4 turns out, but you will lose a minor degree of power & a little bit of that instant response that you get with 4 turns.

And, yes, I looked at these values on a dyno on three separate 98+ Kats (two Kat 600's and one 750) to come up with those numbers.

Unless you are running K&N/Emgo/Foamz/other aftermarket filters, anything between 3.5 and 4 turns should having you running ideally (fast & easy to start, good power, very good responsiveness). If this is the case, and you are stlll having problems obtaining a good, stable idle when warmed up, there is something else amiss in your carbs, or in the cables leading to them (stuck choke cable comes to mind).

As for the carb sync -- turn the idle up to 1850 RPM's to do it, then turn it back down afterwards.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.

Right on about the idle. I usually turn it up around 1500rpm. It just slightly higher then normal, but will help smoothen out the idle across all cyls foreasier testing. calibrate the tool, set it, drop the idle back down and test again and make any fine asjustments at regular idle speed (1200rpm).

And make sure the engine is hot and on the centerstand or standing upright..
        98 GSX750F
        95 Honda VT600 vlx
        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
          Right on about the idle. I usually turn it up around 1500rpm. It just slightly higher then normal, but will help smoothen out the idle across all cyls foreasier testing. calibrate the tool, set it, drop the idle back down and test again and make any fine asjustments at regular idle speed (1200rpm).

And make sure the engine is hot and on the centerstand or standing upright..
          Can't calibrate the Morgan Carbtune though.

Tmod

Comment

I was gonna say that

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
              Can't calibrate the Morgan Carbtune though.
              Not only can't, but there is zero need to.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                Normally you are correct but I did have to send one back for wrong calibration.

Tmod

Comment

really?
                  so why does everyone say they are better if you can't syn the tool first?
                  I have never seen a pre-calibrated carb tool accurate at least not for long.

I've used merc sticks, vac guage banks at yamaha and motion pro sync tool here in my own shop all are extremely accurate. My personal favorite is the Motion pro.

I would love to put a carb tune on a 5 way manifold for calibrating carb tools just to see how accurate they really are.
                  Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-25-2009, 10:44 PM.
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

Comment

The way the Morgan is built, there are only two things that could throw the calibration off: broken plastic (tubes, nozzle tips -- vac leak), or debris in the tube (interfering with the slug's motion). If it's broken, you get a replacement piece from them (they send 'em out free if you ask). If it's dirty, you disassemble and simply wash with dish detergent, then dry -- done.

Now, if you have doubts, you can simply swap lines between carbs -- easy way to check if something is amiss (does the other gauge move through the same range of motion?)...

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

really?
                      so why does everyone say they are better if you can't syn the tool first?
                      I have never seen a pre-calibrated carb tool accurate at least not for long.

I've used merc sticks, vac guage banks at yamaha and motion pro sync tool here in my own shop all are extremely accurate. My personal favorite is the Motion pro.

I would love to put a carb tune on a 5 way manifold for calibrating carb tools just to see how accurate they really are.
                      Have you read my comparison from a long time ago comparing the Motion Pro and the Morgan? I asked the same question.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                        Have you read my comparison from a long time ago comparing the Motion Pro and the Morgan? I asked the same question.

Tmod
                        Nope! gotta a link. ?
                        Last edited by hardlydangerous; 01-25-2009, 11:16 PM.
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Nope! gotta a link. ?
                          Here ya go. http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...ghlight=morgan

Tmod

Comment

oops sorry about the previous post.. didn't read about stage one jet kit.. i was thinking stock..

Comment

Originally posted by kidblooper View Post
                              oops sorry about the previous post.. didn't read about stage one jet kit.. i was thinking stock..
                              No biggie.
                              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Hardly can correct me if I'm wrong here:

I think the only sych tool that you can actually calibrate is the new Motion Pro tool.
                                I think by calibrate he might have meant check each stick against a the same vacuum source to ensure they read the same. Adjustment isn't possible but noting the delta is.
                                Considering that the exercise of synching has little to do with actual vacuum levels but consistency I would have to agree that making sure you have that consistency is very important..

Comment

Working...
                                X