X

Exhaust Information

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Information

I found out a couple of things today. First off, If you live in Wisconsin, this is for you.

There is a new law that if you have an aftermarket pipe on your bike, you can and probably will get a ticket. It's a stupid law and don't know why they enacted it but that's the way it is. If the cop see the bike running, s/he can write you a ticket. I just found that out. I'm not too worried about it though. They have mostly been giving out tickets to sport bikes. The police probably don't want to **** off the Harley crowd. Even though most of the damn noise comes from the damn Screaming Eagle pipes put on every Harley out there. I have only seen about 20 sportbikes on the road since I moved here in 2001.

Another thing. I spoke with a man at the local dealership who races GSXR's and is sponsered by several manufacturers. He had a few things to say about the exhuast I had.

D&D---One of the loudest exhausts on the market. Likely to get a ticket.
    Two Brothers---Also extremely loud. Needs very frequent repacking.
    M4---Almost directly between D&D and stock pipe as of loudness. Meant for racing. Very hard to tune when putting on a Katana.
    Yoshimura---Best pipe for WI riders. Quiet (idle is 80db as compared to stock 70db and D&D at about 105db). Only need a rejet kit which he sold me only the jets and needle I needed. No extra so I only had to do it once. He is a very nice man and contacted a few of the companies to find out what all I needed to do in order to make my bike run A1 without jetting the carbs and dynoing my bike like 20 times.
    Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
    Current Bikes:
    1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Originally posted by STULER View Post
    Only need a rejet kit which he sold me only the jets and needle I needed. No extra so I only had to do it once. He is a very nice man and contacted a few of the companies to find out what all I needed to do in order to make my bike run A1 without jetting the carbs and dynoing my bike like 20 times.
    That's cool the guy was able to help you out so much. Uber cool

Comment

It's kind of funny though. The first time my father and I went in there, we were treated like everyone else. Now that I bought my 06 Kat there and my dad bought an 06 Honda VTX there (and both of us bought many $$$ worth of parts and clothing/accessories) they treat us like royalty. Probably because every time we go in there, we end up buying something. I went in looking for a helmet and jacket and walked out with a brand new 06 Kat 600. Im an impulse buyer!!!!
      Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
      Current Bikes:

Comment

Probably because every time we go in there, we end up buying something. I went in looking for a helmet and jacket and walked out with a brand new 06 Kat 600. Im an impulse buyer!!!!
        Yup, that'll do it.

Comment

Hahahaha, funny how money changes things. It was good that you got good advice though and know someone who obviously knows a thing or two about Katanas (unlike our local mob who just stand there scratching their ballz).

Comment

I got 2 words for ya

Hindle Stealth
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

When I had my '04 600 I put a Yosh pipe on it... I was happy. My seat dyno didn't really notice much difference, but I loved the sound. I put one on my SV650 too... sounded even better with the twin.
              My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

I put a Two brothers M2 on my a couple of months ago and I love the way is sounds I hope that I don't have to repack it too often.

Comment

First, your signature is huge... can you please condense it a bit? We have the garage function for a reason.

Next, re-jetting isn't necessary for slip-on pipes unless you are doing a full system. For most bikes, you can just turn the fuel screws out a little more and be happy.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

ur right you dont have to rejet with a slip on. if you dont mind your bike running like crap. When you put a new exhaust on, the air/fuel ratio changes. the bike runs to lean then. so if you want a performance gain and your bike to run right, you have to rejet your carbs. sorry bout the sig
                    Current Bikes:

Comment

ur right you dont have to rejet with a slip on. if you dont mind your bike running like crap. When you put a new exhaust on, the air/fuel ratio changes. the bike runs to lean then. so if you want a performance gain and your bike to run right, you have to rejet your carbs. sorry bout the sig
                      Actually, the only time your A/F ratio changes is when the headers/collectors change. The affect the majority of your backpressure, not the midpipe & can. There are a few threads here about that (backpressure, jetting).
                      Currently Riding:
                      1995 Katana 600
                      V&H Exhaust
                      Jet Kit

SOLD
                      2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                      1987 XV700 Bobber
                      REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                        I got 2 words for ya

Hindle Stealth
                        What's so special about the Hindle Stealth?
                        I'm also in the market for an after market exhaust and we have a similar law in Quebec.

Comment

Originally posted by katanawarrior View Post
                          Actually, the only time your A/F ratio changes is when the headers/collectors change. The affect the majority of your backpressure, not the midpipe & can. There are a few threads here about that (backpressure, jetting).
                          then how do explain the backfiring and decreased power when you just install a slip on without the jets? even the manufacturers say in order to make your bike run top install a jet kit or Power Commander (fuel injection) to get the most out of your pipe. if you dont rejet, you just bought a $400 noise maker

Leo Vince also makes a great pipe. Ive been doing a lot of research lately and found out that the pipe they make for the katana has been rated pretty highly. i just dont like the looks of it
                          Last edited by STULER; 01-21-2009, 07:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          Current Bikes:

Comment

so if you change ANY of the exhaust you have to jet it to run top?

Comment

Originally posted by 2wheelnPit View Post
                              so if you change ANY of the exhaust you have to jet it to run top?
                              To make it run 100% correctly yes.

However, with just a slip on on a nearly stock bike, fattening up the A/F mixture seems to take it to about 99.9%.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X