X

Hyperpro Fork Springs on the way!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
    I would think so too. So it's strictly a matter of choosing the spring rate(s) most suitable to the application, and which companies actually bothered to do more extensive pre-spec testing of weight distributions under different conditions... I suspect some simply measured the bike at rest (or took numbers off the bike manufacturer's specs), while others actually did active measurements to come up with their numbers

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
    CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
    The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
    So it's anyone guess why stock spring are not the best? Suzuki can design a good bike and cant get the fork springs right?

Comment

I've ridden 98+ Kats that had RaceTech springs with the cartridge emulators, OEM springs with spacers/shims, and some third-party spring (but I can't remember whether they were progressive or pensky or some other brand). Out of the group, the Ohlins provided the most stable platform and fastest recovery time (back to "rock stable") on changes in inputs (brakes, body shifting, etc.) allowing me to engage inputs deeper into the corners without upsetting the bike in a way that would compromise traction. They're not necessarily the best solution for eating long interstate days (bit more feedback on expansion joints), but when it comes to canyon carving and urban traffic slicing, they were the best of what I've used/tried.

I will say that my perceptions may have been affected by the matched shocks at the rear (either Ohlin SU801 or Ohlin SU802, depending on the Kat) on the Kats I had with the set-up; a superior rear shock brings out any weaknesses at the forks in a very obvious way.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
      Did you adjust the emulators or just install them? Also did you try the Ohlins springs with the emulators?

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
        So it's anyone guess why stock spring are not the best? Suzuki can design a good bike and cant get the fork springs right?
        I think they are designed for the main purpose of the bike -- an all-weather commuter not designed to be a serious carver (just like the OEM tires). Given a 145 lb test rider at their Hamamatsu track, it makes sense to me...

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
        Did you adjust the emulators or just install them? Also did you try the Ohlins springs with the emulators?
        (A) The emulators weren't on my Kat, so I rode it as the other rider had it configured.
        (B) No, I never tried the Ohlins with emulators, just fresh OEM fork parts and synthetic fork oil in the stock weight category.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Just figure I'll post this:

If anyone wants it, contact md86, who got the last pair as part of a package deal (and will be selling them again). Best forks I've ridden on the Kat...
          ....so Matt, how much do you want for them?
          1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

They look to be of high quality and require no stock spacer.
            How do they say to adjust sag if no spacer is given?
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

yeah, that part I'm not diggin" You use that spacer to adjust the pre load also, it's kinda important.

Comment

He said stock spacer not aftermarket spacer, At least that is what I got out of it.

Tmod

Comment

look at the pic he posted, that spring is long enough that you don't need a spacer period.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    look at the pic he posted, that spring is long enough that you don't need a spacer period.
                    Ohhh didn't realize that the longer one was the newer one. Oooops!!!

Yeah that is a little long to need spacers.

Tmod

Comment

Just put them in! and it was a task to get the caps on!! I'm going on a ride a little later and I'll let ya all know if the hype in HyperPro is real!

Comment

Did a 2 hour ride and the jury is still out! I've got to fudge with the rear now.

Anyway, the ride is very different from before! The forks now move much faster, every little pebble in the road is felt but the large pot holes/cracks are now felt less than before. The big difference is the bike tracks very near the same in normal speed turns as well as the high speed. There's only so much one can do with old forks! I'm happy with the outcome with these springs! There very good at very high speed turns, as they keep there line.

Comment

glad they worked out for ya

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                            glad they worked out for ya
                            Thanks.

I went back in the the forks today, as I had forgot about a bunch of washers I had used with the old springs. I removed the washers and rechecked/topped off the oil. The oil had settled down to about 50mm low. I had changed the oil because the kit came with HyperPro 10 wt oil. HP calls for 5" from the top.

Now that the springs and oil are spot on, the bike really handles nice! I let a pal take it for a spin, he told me it handles so much better than it did a month back(last time he rode it). He said the bike feels like it's riding itself! requires very little effort in the turns. We went for close to a three hour ride, he rode the kat for about 90 mins and I got to rip up his ZX-7(what are friends for).

Anyway, long story short, I just got off the phone with Mike. He called to tell me he just placed an order for his own HyperPro springs!
                            Last edited by GSXfs600; 02-08-2009, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks.

I went back in the the forks today, as I had forgot about a bunch of washers I had used with the old springs. I removed the washers and rechecked/topped off the oil. The oil had settled down to about 50mm low. I had changed the oil because the kit came with HyperPro 10 wt oil. HP calls for 5" from the top.

Now that the springs and oil are spot on, the bike really handles nice! I let a pal take it for a spin, he told me it handles so much better than it did a month back(last time he rode it). He said the bike feels like it's riding itself! requires very little effort in the turns. We went for close to a three hour ride, he rode the kat for about 90 mins and I got to rip up his ZX-7(what are friends for).

Anyway, long story short, I just got off the phone with Mike. He called to tell me he just placed an order for his own HyperPro springs!
                              Glad to hear they are working out for you, Could you measure the sag you have with those springs? Curious as how much they have.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
                                Glad to hear they are working out for you, Could you measure the sag you have with those springs? Curious as how much they have.

Tmod
                                static is 15/16" Thats the only sag I checked. I did the zip tie thing, and slamming on the brakes at freeway speed(back wheel off the ground), I get 5/8" of fork travel left.
                                Last edited by GSXfs600; 02-09-2009, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X