Battery Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Question

Bottom line: I need a new battery.

I have a '95 600 and was wondering if the sealed, maintenance-free batteriest that the post-98's use would fit in mine.

It would be nice to upgrade to a maintenance-free battery. Just not sure if it will fit (assuming amperage to be similar).

And, suggestions on where to get a replacement.

Thanks.

P.S. (did do a search but couldn't find this specific answer...and some of the links were outdated).

It is a lot smaller. I'm using one but haven't actually installed it yet, what with it snowing and all. I'm not sure if there are charging issues with the older alternator or not but I'll say this: maintenance free, sealed, smaller and cheaper.. That was all I needed to know.

Comment

im not sure about pre 98s but i just went ahead and got the acid battery cuz its cheaper then the gel pack i believe you are referring to?
      2000 Katana- vance and hines exhaust 03+ rear end, 14/48 sprockets, stage 1 jet kit, 5 degree ignition advancer, WANT B12 HEADER

1997 S10- 3/4 drop on 20 inch rims, tinted tails, shaved doors, tailgate, antenna, 12 inch orion sub with 1200 watt orion amp, hvac controls relocated in glove box, sony head unit with infinity components, smoothed and painted dash parts, chrome window cranks and shifter, too much to list

Comment

You need to be aware that theres a differance between sealed for life batteries & gel batteries, they are commonly confused

a sealed for life battery as used on bandits etc is not the same as a gell battery as commonly used on race bikes & some of the latest sport bikes

the important thing to check is that whichever you use will take charge at a similar rate to your stock battery, lead acid batteries commonly charge at a higher rate than the above

overcharging can cause a sealed or gell battery to either fail or even in extreme cases explode
        Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

if you check with someone like Napa auto parts they may list a acid(wet) , sealed (maintenance free) and or a Gel option
          the prices go up accordingly
          The Gels are supposed to handle vibration better and will not leak making them purfect for vehicles such as personal watercraft and motorcycles
          a place like walmart will sell you a acid filled cheap but likely have no other options
          good luck
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I have fit a post 98 battery in a pre 98 (both 600's). It works just fine, you just have to slightly modify the battery box.

Comment

Do youreself a favor and go with a sealed matinince free battery.They perform better and last longer,plus it wont leak acid all over youre bike.Also if you will invest the 30 or so dollars for a battery tender the life of the battery in most cases will double.I have had and have also seen many sealed batteries last 5-7 yrs when taken care of.On the flip side walmart batteries are cheap and will last like 1 season so multply the cost times five and see if its still cheaper.As far as brand, i like the deca battery.The battery car quest sells is also a good battery but its just a relabled deca.Just my 2 cents.

Comment

You can find a cross-reference on Yuasa's site as well as a Kat-specific recommendation list on my motorcycleanchor site in the Kat section.

There is no reason you can't go with a sealed battery as an upgrade from an unsealed one. The only things to watch for are the CCA's and the Ah -- the 98+ has a lower rating than the pre's, but that's easily remedied by going to one of the bigger (larger capacity) same-form-factor alternatives.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by legacycycles View Post
                  Do youreself a favor and go with a sealed matinince free battery.They perform better and last longer,plus it wont leak acid all over youre bike.Also if you will invest the 30 or so dollars for a battery tender the life of the battery in most cases will double.I have had and have also seen many sealed batteries last 5-7 yrs when taken care of.On the flip side walmart batteries are cheap and will last like 1 season so multply the cost times five and see if its still cheaper.As far as brand, i like the deca battery.The battery car quest sells is also a good battery but its just a relabled deca.Just my 2 cents.

I think that I was told that there is only two battery manufacturers in north america
                  one that I know is East Penn , and they make for places like Napa, And I also think they make the Deca brand , so it sounds like they make carquest batteries also
                  Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Working...
                  X