X

Upgrade Specs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Specs

Ok Guys, About that time of the year in my neck of the country. Bike is about to hibernate for a few months, and in the meantime, I'm looking at a few upgrades. I have a few questions about what is probably Painfully obvious.

Grips - When ordering grips, is it like when I was riding a cruiser (pick 7/8'', 1'' etc) Or do you just order "SportBike Grips" as so well listed when searching google?

- Jet kit, What is the best jet kit for the '90 600? I've heard "ivans" , Factory Pro, Dynojet all thrown around, which would be the best for my pre (arsenic, feel free to chime in on this one, and i PROMISE not to use K&N's) HA!

- Ignition Advancer - Factory Pro?

- Hayabusa Shock Swap , Could someone please post the link to the Write-up if there is one? I cant find it for the life of me.

- Vance & Hines is currently under negotiation with a forum member so.....

- Sprockets, what brand, what to look for, and really, I trully have tried to pilfer through our write - ups on the board to see what I was looking for, but looking for something for more down low grunt. Go up/down in back/front ?
    Currently Riding:
    1995 Katana 600
    V&H Exhaust
    Jet Kit

SOLD
    2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
    1987 XV700 Bobber
    REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

My opinion:

Grips - Sportbike ones are fine just make sure you get the right length. I bought some GSXR fitting ones once and they were too short. so make sure you measure the stock ones and get the correct length.

- Jet kit, What is the best jet kit for the '90 600? I've heard nothing but good things about the Ivans Jet Kit.

- Ignition Advancer - Factory Pro I think that is the only one I've heard of.

- Hayabusa Shock Swap , I may be wrong but it should be a straight swap but it may raise the height of your Kat a bit.

- Sprockets, what brand, what to look for-Many writups on this forum about sprockets. My boil down of all the posts Steel lasts longer and holds onto the luber better, downside is it is heavier. Aluminum, lighter and can be anodized to different colors but needs more lubrication and wears faster than steel. Then you have the mixes of aluminum hub/steel teeth or Sidewinder Sprockets that are supposed to last forever (made of a tri-metal composition). Just depends on what maintenance and how much you want to spend.
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
      Thanks!
      - Hayabusa Shock Swap , I may be wrong but it should be a straight swap but it may raise the height of your Kat a bit. I would like a lift actually, I aint the smallest of guys, hence a beefier shock is pretty welcome

- Sprockets, what brand, what to look for-Many writups on this forum about sprockets. My boil down of all the posts Steel lasts longer and holds onto the luber better, downside is it is heavier. Aluminum, lighter and can be anodized to different colors but needs more lubrication and wears faster than steel. Then you have the mixes of aluminum hub/steel teeth or Sidewinder Sprockets that are supposed to last forever (made of a tri-metal composition). Just depends on what maintenance and how much you want to spend.
      Looking for weather i should go up in teeth or down in teeth to make it a little quicker on take-off, I dont do much 100+ MPH riding, mostly between 55-65 , and 80 max, so around town grunt, and quick stop-light to stop light is what im looking for.

Thanks for info Jax
      Currently Riding:
      1995 Katana 600
      V&H Exhaust
      Jet Kit

SOLD
      2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
      1987 XV700 Bobber
      REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Going down 1 tooth up front is hard on the chain from what I've read. I am set up -1 up front right now, but don't know if my current chain problems, stretching so bad it needs adjustment every 150 miles or less and breaking rollers, is due to the sprocket or the fact that I unknowingly got a cheap generic Chinese budget quality chain from the small mechanics shop I went to. Performance wise I did gain a lot of pull, basicaly shifting at the same speeds as before, but one gear higher than I was with the stock gearing, and lost about 10 mph top speed. Most people here recommend just going bigger on the back to keep from stressing the chain by making it turn the tighter radius of a smaller than stock front sprocket.
        John,
        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
        sigpic

Comment

rear sprocket is much easier to change out if that counts
          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
          1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
          '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
          Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

I had "cruiser grips" installed on my bike and the only problem I ran into was that my hands have trouble fitting around them because of the wider width. But then again I have smaller hands. Just something to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by katanawarrior View Post
              Looking for weather i should go up in teeth or down in teeth to make it a little quicker on take-off, I dont do much 100+ MPH riding, mostly between 55-65 , and 80 max, so around town grunt, and quick stop-light to stop light is what im looking for.

Thanks for info Jax
              I went up two on the wheel and my freeway cruise is 1000 rpm higher, and the front comes up easy in first, and it did not with the stock 45 tooth.

If I had to guess, I'd say the 1/4 time would be much better now.

I did the change to try to escape the buzz zone. It helped but I've got a 750 top triple on the way.

Comment

ivans = 98+ factory pro is your jet kit .. dynojet just aint worth the trouble .. +1 in the rear leave front stock size
                so many roads so little time

Comment

Originally posted by katanawarrior View Post
                  Ok Guys, About that time of the year in my neck of the country. Bike is about to hibernate for a few months, and in the meantime, I'm looking at a few upgrades. I have a few questions about what is probably Painfully obvious.

Grips - When ordering grips, is it like when I was riding a cruiser (pick 7/8'', 1'' etc) Or do you just order "SportBike Grips" as so well listed when searching google?

- Jet kit, What is the best jet kit for the '90 600? I've heard "ivans" , Factory Pro, Dynojet all thrown around, which would be the best for my pre (arsenic, feel free to chime in on this one, and i PROMISE not to use K&N's) HA!

- Ignition Advancer - Factory Pro?

- Hayabusa Shock Swap , Could someone please post the link to the Write-up if there is one? I cant find it for the life of me.

- Vance & Hines is currently under negotiation with a forum member so.....

- Sprockets, what brand, what to look for, and really, I trully have tried to pilfer through our write - ups on the board to see what I was looking for, but looking for something for more down low grunt. Go up/down in back/front ?
                  Grips - Pretty sure we have 7/8" bars. As was said, make sure you get the right length.

Jet Kit- I didn't think Ivan's made a kit for pre98. Go Factory Pro.... they make a solid, well designed product.

Ignition advancer- They're all pretty much the same.... I thought there used to be an adjustable one available, but I haven't seen one in a long, long time

Hayabusa shock- Unless you're beyond 250lb, and ride a passenger on a regular basis, you'd be better off with a different shock. The Busa shock comes with a spring rate too high for most riders. I believe you have to move the battery box back to clear the reservoir, there is a write-up somewhere. There's a plethora of shocks that will fit with little/no modification. Look for one that is rebuildable.

Sprockets- 14 tooth is generally considered the floor for the front sprocket (13 tooth is available, but hard on the chain), go up a couple teeth on the back sprocket for better off-the-line performance. Make sure you get a long enough chain for it. Steel wears the best, Aluminum is lighter.
                  Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X