X

Crashed on the Dragon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crashed on the Dragon

On our last day of a week-long trip to the Dragon, I went down in one of the sharp lefties. Through some combination of not leaning enough and not looking thru the curve, I went wide and just ran off the road while leaned over. It sucks because I wasn't at max lean angle or anything - I just spaced out or something... it's really hard to recall what went wrong. I was owning the Dragon the whole week, too...

Anyway, once the front tire left the asphalt, I instantly went down on my left side. Luckily, I didn't go off on the "cliff" side of the Dragon (down mountain), but instead, the bike slid upside-down up the side of a steep dirt wall (up mountain). Once I stopped rolling/sliding, my riding buddy (who was 1 curve behind me) came up to ask if I was ok, but I couldn't talk due to shortness of breath. By this time, my GF and another friend caught up, and another person stopped to pick up the Kat - also around this time, I realized that I couldn't lift my left arm, so my GF rode back to the cabin to pick up the truck so we could go to the ER. That pretty much took up the rest of the day since it was, like, an hour away.

Damage report:

Me
    - multi-fractured left scapula (shoulder blade), took the brunt impact. Arm in a sling for 1 month, and then 1-2 months of physical therapy. Dr said it should be normal afterward.
    - bruised shoulder muscles
    - no rash (full gear)

Bike
    - plastics rashed to hell (nothing cracked)
    - left fork is suspected slightly bent (wheel is crooked)
    - bent shifter pedal
    - shattered left blinker
    - rashed/cracked windscreen

Gear
    - helmet chipped, but doesn't look too bad. Visor plate wont hold visor. It was time for a new helmet anyway
    - jacket held up good, but has a small tear in the left shoulder (will probably replace it)
    - pants, boots, & gloves still good

So, my parting words of wisdom: Don't crash if you can help it - it's a much bigger pain in the *** than I would've imagined, and I didn't even crash that badly. Avoid sneezing and vomiting while having a fractured scapula, you will literally groan/wince in pain.

(click for larger images)

Does anyone have a set of 98+ 750cc forks in nice shape?
    Last edited by Teh_K; 11-02-2008, 09:52 PM.
    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

damn bro sorry to hear you went down . atleast you are still with us .. going off the cliff side surely would have sucked .. get well soon
    so many roads so little time

Comment

Originally posted by eviilil0ne View Post
      damn bro sorry to hear you went down . atleast you are still with us .. going off the cliff side surely would have sucked .. get well soon

+1
      sigpic

A Fine is a Tax you pay for doing wrong!
      A Tax is a Fine you pay for doing well!

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u214/Chuckwick357/

Comment

I hope you get back on your feet bro and back in the saddle.

Anything with shoulders, back, or knees are a lot of pain. I tore my rotator cuff in my right shoulder while I was in the Army and that thing hurt for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemontrym View Post
          I hope you get back on your feet bro and back in the saddle.

Anything with shoulders, back, or knees are a lot of pain. I tore my rotator cuff in my right shoulder while I was in the Army and that thing hurt for a long time.
          Torn ACL and twisted tendant in ankle and dislocated hip are major pains.

I am glad you faired better than the bike and are able to post this thread! Learning from others mistakes is always better than learning the hard way.
          Now that you got your laydown out of the way, heel up and get back on the horse brother!
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Sorry to hear of your accident. hope you heal fully and quickly.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your wreck and glad you are relatively ok. Hey, on the bright side, at least it didn't happen on your first day and you got to enjoy your trip (other than the wreck, obviously)

Hope you feel better soon. Take care.
              2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
              BMC Notorious 918 HT
              2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Glad you are here to write about it. Listen to the doc and heal up!

Comment

glad the damage wasnt too bad. get better and back on the ride.
                  Godspeed
                  CSBA #1167
                  Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

Most of us on here have gone down/going down....it's a learning curve and part of the sport we love. Heal up, that's the main thing..and climb back up. Glad you're ok.
                    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                    ------------------------------------------
                    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Sorry to hear about your wreck. Get well soon!! You're still able to ride again !! Take it easy until then.
                      sigpic

RIP CP
                      50th Anniv R6
                      95 Katana 600
                      http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Comment

Sorry to hear about it, but glad you went up-hill and not down-hill in a big way...

Originally posted by Teh_K View Post
                        Does anyone have a set of 98+ 750cc forks in nice shape?
                        Note that the fork lowers change between the 98-02 or 03 and the later models, with wheel-mounting method being the key to which is which.

I have a brand new pair of fork tubes (inners) here that I was going to use on my own Kat; if you need one or both in a rush, I can send 'em to you and order new ones again. Odds are if your forks are tweaked, it's the inner-tube and the seals that need replacing; if the lowers (outers) are bad, odds are you did a number on the steering stem as well.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you weren't seriously injured too. Hope you heal up quickly.
                          2007 Honda CBR600rr
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                          sigpic

Comment

Sorry to hear about the crash. Glad things were'nt extremely bad. Heal up and ride again next year.

Comment

you are a very lucky person!

Comment

Working...
                              X