X

A New Bike-Theft Threat: Pictures...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Bike-Theft Threat: Pictures...

According to this CNet blog article, University of California/San Diego have come up with software that can take a fairly low resolution photo of your keys shot from a distance (or shot up close with a low-res camera phone) and generate the key-cut codes to cut perfect duplicates on demand. Thus, getting another set of keys for your bike for a thief would be as simple as managing to grab a picture of your keys where ever they happen to be sitting (on a table) or hanging (on a belt-loop), pushing the photo through some software and subsequently taking the results to a locksmith and having another key made.

Particularly daunting about this was the fact that examples used included off-angle photo shots taken by a camera with a telephoto lens at 195 feet out with perfect duplication.

My advice: please speak with your dealer next time you are at the shop to express a specific desire for Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki to start embedding security-handshake chips in their keys for their US models, like they already do for many of the European ones... The reason they aren't common par and parcel here is because the dealers literally vote down the feature every year at the annual dealer's meeting when deciding on which products in the manufacturer's product-line up should be placed in the USA (and in which colors, with which additional features).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Thanks for the heads up CP. Are the dealers voting it down simply because of the added costs or do they have something going on with chop-shops? Just wondering.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I seriously doubt any upstanding dealerships would have anything going on with a chop shop, but they may have increased costs in mind when it comes to the high tech coded key systems (even though the cost would probably be minumal), or they might just be worried about declining sales. Think about it like this, you go to your friedly Yamahonkazuki dealership and buy a brand new $11k bike. 3 months later it gets stolen, the mandatory full coverage insurance pays off, and you go back and buy anotother $11k bike. You haven't done anything illegal, the dealership hasn't done anything illegal but your both happy, and the insurance companies are raising rates like crazy trying to compensate for all the claims.
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

Spraguepsycho has a point about the mentality -- there is a mentality within the dealership segment of the industry that believes theft in general is good for business, because it means they get to capture more sales both on insurance-payoffs and on the concept that the used one is effectively taken off the market as a potential competitive sale in the future.

I disagree with this mindset, because the reality is that thefts generate direct hurt on the victim -- it's rare for the insurance company (even if there is full coverage) to pay out the cost or near the cost of a brand new replacement (depreciation, deductible), plus the owner gets shafted for a time-frame (until the reports are filed plus a month for potential recovery typically). Additionally, reduced premiums on key-chipped models would make them more readily insurable, allowing riders to potentially buy higher-end (higher margin) models to begin with...

The cost to implement chipped-key-sets is typically about $15-$25 a key, $10 at the ECU-level and $15 in wiring loom upgrades & labor overhead by the time the costs are marked up on the way to the dealer's floor, meaning it would raise on-floor prices by typically $150 - $200. On the other hand, dealers then become sole-source suppliers for additional keys, which ought to net them more income that way too (duh), since pricing could be quite staggering if needed (example: Kawasaki Concours 1400 -- lose both keys & codes, and you're buying not just new keys, but new ECU modules as well).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I was about to post about how I don't like chipped keys in motorcycles, BUT, then I realized that it doesn't really matter to me, because I'm awful fond of oil-cooled Suzuki's... and they don't have a chip.
          And if I eventually decide to move on to something newer, then it will likely be fuel injected anyway, so what's a little more added complication?
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Nobody wants to go through that much trouble to steal MY bike anyway . Maybe I'll just put off fixing the fairings and painting a couple more year .....
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
              My advice: please speak with your dealer next time you are at the shop to express a specific desire for Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki to start embedding security-handshake chips in their keys for their US models
              I know of one aftermarket product that's like this that can be added to a bike.

Digital Guard Dawg.

They have one that has a chip to work with your key and one that can go completely keyless.

I have no experiece with this product, however.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Ive got an extra car alarm ive been thinking of putting on the kat. Even if they had the key it wouldnt start without the remote or a total rewire.
                The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

Technology is amazing, but it sure has helped criminals a bunch. There are more criminals now than ever before, due to technology and the Internet.
                  2007 Honda CBR600rr
                  2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                  sigpic

Comment

It does'nt matter what kind of device you have on your bike, if they really want it, they'll get it. The only thing you can do is make it as hard as possible so they'll move on to another one that is easier to steal.
                    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
                      It does'nt matter what kind of device you have on your bike, if they really want it, they'll get it. The only thing you can do is make it as hard as possible so they'll move on to another one that is easier to steal.
                      Amen...I have seen some crazy chit stolen simply because they really wanted it...
                      02 Kat 750F
                      68 Mercury Cat

Comment

I would guess that most bikes are still stolen with the old fashioned 'pick it up and toss it in a truck/van' method.

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
                          Which is part of why it's nice to ride a piece of crap no one in their right mind would want but ME .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I have Insurance. steal it if you want. It's a material object that can be replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                              I have Insurance. steal it if you want. It's a material object that can be replaced.
                              OK, imagine what would happen if your prank-playing co-workers go ahold of this?

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X