No announcement yet.
X

Suppose you have a brand-new tire that found a nail

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

worked in a tire/tyre shop and I would NEVER plug a tire but I would trust a good patch.

I had a blow out a few weeks ago in my cage ( 89 dodge Diplomat/cop car ) P255 60 15 not low on air ~ 1/2 worn out blow out at ~ 85 MPH lost the side wall. The only thing I could think of was I bumped a curb a few days b4.

In a ~1,000,000 miles of driving most of it over the speed limit, some even on recaps at 145 ( with CHP dropping away behind ) this was my only blowout.
    William the Wild1
    Red 1992 1100 only dumped once by a little old lady, in 7K miles

Comment

I agree with the majority here. I would patch it and ride cautiously (when necessary) until the new tire arrives.

For those who have had it happen to a new tire: I feel for ya.

*editted* to emphasize that I would only ride on the patched/plugged tire while the new tire is being shipped to me.
      Ride like your life depends on it.

Comment

Get a new one, and sell that one on ebay to recover some of your money. Just make sure that you let them know it has been plugged. Someone will buy it wanting a cheap tire.
        Kan-O-Gixxer!
        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
        -Ohlins Susupension
        -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
          Get a new one, and sell that one on ebay to recover some of your money. Just make sure that you let them know it has been plugged. Someone will buy it wanting a cheap tire.
          +1

This is what I've done in the past...

Plugged what I had, rode on, ordered a replacement and sold the used one as soon as the new one arrived to someone here at KR who wanted it as a "burn-out" tire just to blow through.

I'm debating swapping my rear again, even though it only has about 600 miles on it -- the about 2 weeks ago I found a bit of a beer bottle in the tire, crunched up -- it hadn't penetrated into the belts, but had gotten down to their surface... I pulled out as much of the (now-powdered) glass as I could, and left the cut open in the hopes that any additional glass will come out on it's own... Now I can't even see the cut, but I'm still kicking the replacement concept around.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Also too, keep in mind.. riding cautiously is still dangerous on a potentially comprised tire. Even when you ride cautiously, shiat can still happen

Comment

I would, and have in the past, plug it and ride it until the tire is wore out. If it happens on the Bandit, the tire gets swapped to the Aprilia since the Bandit is the bike that gets flogged the hardest.

Yeah, I know thay say to replace it, but I have never had a problem with a plugged tire and I have had a few of them.

Matter of fact, my Ninja has a plug in the rear tire now.
              Ron
              MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Interesting that this thread would come up now... I found a nail in my tire just the other day, with less than 1500 miles on it. It was OK though, the nail didn't penetrate into the tire, was just 'threaded' through the tread.

Comment

See we jinxed you, sorry

Comment

I don't know if I would feel safe riding on a plug or not... I'd probably go without until I could afford the new tire.
                    Thanks to KR, everytime I look at my bike, my wallet screams "NOOOOOOOoooooo"

Comment

Originally posted by zerocool61
                      I would replace the tire. I much rather pay $100 for a tire than be on a freeway have a blow-out, lose control and down the bike.
                      Let me think - - new tire or new bike, new tire or new bike, hummm hard question, I think I'll pick the new tire.!!
                      I'd stop worrying about the tyre and the bike the moment there was a blowout on the freeway. Tyres and bikes can be replaced, but peoples can't be replaced.

Comment

I'm also poor, so I would probably plug it and ride on carefully until I could scrape together the money to replace it.
                        Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.

Comment

I'm riding on a plugged rear now; only about 100 miles, but faster than I should be riding. I really should suck it up and order the new tires! It's not the price of new tires, I don't have the time to ride the bike, much less fix it (lately). The last thing I want is to take the wheels off for the few moments that I could be riding.
                          Ride like your life depends on it.

Comment

I had to replace the rear tire after 91 miles on my new bike. Much cheaper to replace a tire than go down.
                            ~Jayson

Comment

Just happened to me a couple days ago. went over a 3" long screw in teh back tire. tire only about 1-2 months old. no question in my mind, replace it. IO ran on a plug for 3 days till i replaced it. but the $200 it cost me for a new tire certainly isnt' worth damaging the bike, or worse ME

Comment

I would plug if I was out of town or just riding around to get it home.

Anything that would require highway riding would be an internal plug...

Anything over 200 km of riding would be a tire replacment... but also depends on time of day too - ya gotta get to a shop from time to time ya know.

I once was with a guy who got nailed, and we pulled the nail out and put a screw in its place just to told enough air to get the bike home - less than 20 km of city riding.

-Grimmy
                                Race Superseries Novice Open, Amateur Superbike #224 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Comment

Working...
                                X