Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Oil change + Techron = No need for choke?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil change + Techron = No need for choke?

So, after running a couple doses of Techron through (and doing the subsequent oil change, switching from Amsoil Full-Synth to Castrol GPS Semi-Synth), I find that I no longer need any choke to start the bike. In fact, it won't start even if I do have it on at all. Is this a cause for concern?

And to boot, it's getting cooler here, which is when you would normally need to use the choke...
    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

intereting. I'm not a gear head but I didn't realize that oil had much to do with air/fuel mixture at a cold start.
    R.I.P. Marc

Comment

How does it run once it's warmed up? It's tempting to say you're running too rich (maybe jetting was set with dirty carbs?) but if everything's hunky-dory with a warmed engine then you're good to go and it's just not cold enough to need the choke.

Originally posted by JZ67 View Post
      intereting. I'm not a gear head but I didn't realize that oil had much to do with air/fuel mixture at a cold start.
      Better not have anything to do with it. If it does then you've got a problem.
      Only difference the oil change should make is if the old oil was REALLY dirty or low.
      Last edited by Wild-Bill; 10-02-2008, 09:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I use Castrol Synthetic with techron before oil changes. Chevron gas works best for me also. Runs great, no choke
        myspace
        2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

I switched to Amsoil and run gas w/o ethanol and only have to use the choke a bit. Even when the bike hasn't run in several days I only need 1/4-1/2 choke. And the bike takes less then 45 sec to warm up and have the nice smooth idle.
          Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

Comment

Chevron gas is awesome, I use it specifically in my vehicle, and bike, and it burns cleaner, smoother, and seems to be better for the vehicles then anything else I've tried. It also gives me the best mileage, i only get 15 mpg's with citgo or whatever it is, 19 with chevron (thats in my truck) and i get almost 50mpg with chevron in my bike (heavy throttle hand) . There is some correlation to chevron gas , mileage, and a clean running machine.
            Currently Riding:
            1995 Katana 600
            V&H Exhaust
            Jet Kit

SOLD
            2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
            1987 XV700 Bobber
            REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Originally posted by ChuglyXJ View Post
              I switched to Amsoil and run gas w/o ethanol and only have to use the choke a bit. Even when the bike hasn't run in several days I only need 1/4-1/2 choke. And the bike takes less then 45 sec to warm up and have the nice smooth idle.
              where do you get gas without ethanol? all gas companies use it ,its only a matter of how much
              BONES HEAL ,CHICKS DIG SCARS ,PAIN IS TEMPPORARY AND GLORY IS FOREVER

Comment

Not all gas companys use ethanol
                Gravity works 100% of the time.

Comment

I dont think chevron does.... I havent really paid attention, and probably wont till it runs like the rest of the sludge their rebranding as gas.
                  Currently Riding:
                  1995 Katana 600
                  V&H Exhaust
                  Jet Kit

SOLD
                  2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                  1987 XV700 Bobber
                  REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

chevron at my corner says 10% ethanol contained

I just know when it's time for me to fill up the bike, chevron gas is much better than any other gas I have used. It idles so much better...
                    myspace
                    2006 Suzuki Kat GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      How does it run once it's warmed up? It's tempting to say you're running too rich (maybe jetting was set with dirty carbs?) but if everything's hunky-dory with a warmed engine then you're good to go and it's just not cold enough to need the choke.

Better not have anything to do with it. If it does then you've got a problem.
                      Only difference the oil change should make is if the old oil was REALLY dirty or low.
                      It runs just fine once warmed up (nice idle, revs smooth). This morning was 60*F and it took 1/4 choke, so maybe everything's fine - I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.
                      "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K View Post
                        So, after running a couple doses of Techron through (and doing the subsequent oil change, switching from Amsoil Full-Synth to Castrol GPS Semi-Synth), I find that I no longer need any choke to start the bike. In fact, it won't start even if I do have it on at all. Is this a cause for concern?

And to boot, it's getting cooler here, which is when you would normally need to use the choke...
                        Nothing to worry about at all... and you'll still need choke when the temps dip low enough. The techron just cleared out the smaller fuel passages properly

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Teh_K View Post

Dude, you're in Raleigh. How cold does it really get??????

Comment

Working...
                          X