X

Tire a little worn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire a little worn

I noticed yesterday morning that my tire was showing a little wear, so I had to get a new rear tire for my Kat 600. I never did any burnouts or anything crazy. I just do a lot of sport touring from Columbus, OH to Clevelenad, Columbus to Charlottle, NC etc. After my Charlotte trip, I noticed the two inch flat spot on the center of the rear tire from riding in a straight line for 1000 miles on the freeway roundtrip. I took it to the shop when I returned home and the guy at the shop told me I still had about another 2000 miles left on the tire because I still have plenty of tread left on the side and corners. Well, about 300 miles later and no long rides after he told me that, I came out to my tires looking as pictured below (SORRY, having trouble posting the pictures). I went to Iron Pony and bought a new Metzler Z6 160/60R17 for $145. I should get it installed today. I considered other tires but after doing a search on this site, the Metzler seems to be the tire of choice...The tire that I had on the bike was a Pirelli something
    Last edited by Catcha23; 09-29-2008, 10:51 AM.
    [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

You'll like the Metzler, great tires. Pic not working.
    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

I also bought those and had them put on a few months ago. A much needed improvement.

Comment

i decided to save $40 and go with the pirelli diablo stradas ... getting them on soon.. paid $230 shipped for front and back

Comment

pirelli diablo stradas are great tires had them on my kat.....Loved them

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by mdmaro View Post
            i decided to save $40 and go with the pirelli diablo stradas ... getting them on soon.. paid $230 shipped for front and back
            I got a set of Z6's for $240. shipped.

Comment

Catcha23, it sounds like your tires were being run too low on pressure if the dealer said you ought to get 2000 more miles out of 'em and 300 miles later you're desperate for replacements.

The Z6's on the Kats should run baseline (i.e. - minimum pressures) of 36 psi front and rear for a 140 lb rider.

Malloc pulled up at my place from his Florida-California-Florida run a couple days ago with about 14.5k on his Z6's and they are still useable (although he's due for replacements in the next 2k - 3k miles).

As for tire sizing:
              150/70ZR17 will give you better handling (sharper handling), better rain-cutting (wet-weather behavior) and last marginally longer than the 160/60. Some riders don't actually like the extra nimbleness, but most do.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
              X