X

Should I buy this Kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy this Kat?

Right off the bat ill let you guys know I probably have less knowledge about bikes right now than anyone reading this. I want to purchase my first bike and this Kat really caught my eye.

I like the way it looks without fairings, probably a really dumb question but does it need fairings for any reason?

What do you guys think about this bike? Should I pick it up before someone else does?

You don't need fairings. It's not a terrible price. You can Edmunds or KBB it to see how close it is to being reasonable. I like the look though.
    1994 Suzuki GSX600F Katana
    Bone stock
    Looking to mod, Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Add1cti0n View Post
      Right off the bat ill let you guys know I probably have less knowledge about bikes right now than anyone reading this. I want to purchase my first bike and this Kat really caught my eye.

I like the way it looks without fairings, probably a really dumb question but does it need fairings for any reason?

What do you guys think about this bike? Should I pick it up before someone else does?
      Fairings cut down on aerodynamic drag and add stability at high speed. However, plenty of bikes do fine without them.
      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

If you have a buddy that rides take him to test drive it. Check the tank for rust and check the chain/sprocket.

$2200.00 seems like a decent price. I bet if you offered $1800.00 cash he would take it.
        '94 Suzuki GSX 600 Katana w/ 12k miles

Comment

IMHO: worth $1600 - 1800 cash if it has a good title and frame -- and you'll need at least another $250 to fix up what it most desperately needs (another $1k to bring it back anywhere close to stock).

Fairings are missing because of a wreck (caution: examine title closely to make sure it's not a salvage; check frame very closely for damages, including spacing between the engine and the front frame spars [should be a finger-width space on both sides]). Exhaust is going to be problematic (no muffler -- just straight pipe off the headers).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Hm personally, I would pass.

Comment

I'd guess he's looking to get $2000. and if the bike is straight? it's worth it.

You really need a good bike mechanic to take it for a spin.

If it were me, and it runs good, I'd buy it! you can pick up the plastic's off Ebay over time and get her dressed for under $500.

Also give the front wheel a spin and look to see thats it's true without a hop.

Goodluck.

Comment

I'm agreeing with Cyber (I think) in that I would be very wary of a bike done like this. The home made exhaust adds to the notion of a wreck that destroyed the right side of the bike. I'm generally concerned about the way the bike was treated thus far in its life...
                None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
                -Robert Morrison

"
                well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys, very much appreciated. I'll definitely check for everything advised and keep you guys updated. Im going to check out the bike on wednesday. Anything else i should put on my inspection checklist?

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys, very much appreciated. I'll definitely check for everything advised and keep you guys updated. Im going to check out the bike on wednesday. Anything else i should put on my inspection checklist?
                    Just try to catch the guy in a lie, if you do, walk away!

Comment

Inspection Checklist from my website:
                      motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'd hit it.

Comment

Yea it would be best for me to just keep saving and wait for the right bike. I'll give this one a chance to find out if its the right one with what I just learned

Comment

pass

Comment

i'd pass definitely has been wrecked. just ask yourself; why else would the fairings be gone?

Comment

Working...
                              X