pre vs. post

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre vs. post

Hey hey hey,

I've got my 92 Kat sold at the beginning of next season. I was wondering, when I go look at buying another Kat, is there any big pros or cons between the pre/post 98's? I know there's minor body differences, and i vaguely remember reading that the newer Kats have more low end torque or something.

Any info on pro's and con's between the two would be a great help in me making a decision for my new bike next season.

Thanx guys.

Just looking at the specs, I'd get the 99. It looks as if the later years had less power.

Comment

oh?

so possibly only a few years of the 98+ had more power eh

Comment

Post750 makes less power then the pre750 from what I am told and the post600 is only 5 less hp then the post750. Please someone correct me if this isn't right.
        Chrome Project Part 1
        http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Effectively, they are the same engine (same displacements, same stroke-lengths, bore size, compression ratios). With very minor exceptions, any perceived advantages of one over the other has to do strictly with gearing and fairing shapes. The narrower shape of the pre's tend to favor low-end acceleration (pushing around less air initially gives better speed coming up to about 80 mph), while the bulbous rain-drop shape of the 98+ tend to favor high-end speed acceleration (closing the bubble better and inducing less parasitic drag as a result).

IMHO: Take whatever appeals to you.

If you really don't care one way or the other, and you're not planning on reboring the engine, take the newer one (dual headlights, better weather protection, more underseat storage space, less likely to have seen better days).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Dont forget about all the emissions junk on the later models.

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
            Effectively, they are the same engine (same displacements, same stroke-lengths, bore size, compression ratios). With very minor exceptions, any perceived advantages of one over the other has to do strictly with gearing and fairing shapes. The narrower shape of the pre's tend to favor low-end acceleration (pushing around less air initially gives better speed coming up to about 80 mph), while the bulbous rain-drop shape of the 98+ tend to favor high-end speed acceleration (closing the bubble better and inducing less parasitic drag as a result).

IMHO: Take whatever appeals to you.

If you really don't care one way or the other, and you're not planning on reboring the engine, take the newer one (dual headlights, better weather protection, more underseat storage space, less likely to have seen better days).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Benny600Boy View Post
              Dont forget about all the emissions junk on the later models.
              Other than the California-specific models, there is no emissions junk on the later models until '06, when some of the Cali-model's stuff goes nationwide. None of it actually induces a performance penalty that I can tell -- it merely makes troubleshooting a vacuum-issue a royal PIA.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have an 06 600, and it has none of that cali emissions crap on it.
                It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasquatch View Post
                  I have an 06 600, and it has none of that cali emissions crap on it.
                  but mine is an 'early' 06.....(being built in 11/05 instead of actually being built in 06)

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                  You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

how about a list of which are screw adjusters and which are shims for the valves. I should think that would make a HUGE difference in Maint. I know *I* dont want to do shims
                    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

That's a good point about valve adjusters. The earlier Kats were the screw-type adjusters. I don't know when they went with the shims. Advantage to shims is that typically there's a longer interval between adjustments.

Comment

Right from my service manual 98+

600 73HP@10,350 39ft-lbs@7950
                        750 92HP@10,500 49ft-lbs@9500

Top speed 600 135mph
                        Top speed 750 150mph

Standing 1/4 600 12.2s @ 110mph
                        Standing 1/4 750 11.8s @ 117mph
                        2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                        Black
                        Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                        Red
                        Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                          how about a list of which are screw adjusters and which are shims for the valves. I should think that would make a HUGE difference in Maint. I know *I* dont want to do shims
                          Shims: 91 or 92 - 96 or 97 Kat 600 (depends on market).

All 750 and the earliest + the 98+ Kats (600 & 750) all have nut-adjusters.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

outstanding

Thank you guys for the info, I appreciate it. I will probably go for a 05' 750 from what i'm hearing.

Comment

05 750 is the best of the lot LOL
                              2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                              Black
                              Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                              Red
                              Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Comment

Working...
                              X