X

First bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First bike

Hi all im new here and going to check out a 1990 katana 600 tomorrow and possibly buy it. This will be a project bike because the transmission is stuck in third gear, but the price is right. Would this bike be worth buying for less then 500 dollars? Btw i come from the dirtbike side of riding and this might be my first streetbike

Welcome to KR. Depending on how long the bike has been sitting, you might have to have deep pockets. Good luck whatever you decide.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

For under $500 it's hard to go wrong (not impossible, but not likely!)

Welcome to KR!

Comment

Transmission problems are generally huge red flags to walk away... The repair will typically run you about $220 - $275 in parts, but over 50 hours in labor, because the whole engine needs to be torn apart down to the very bottom to get at the tranny. Most people decide it's far cheaper & easier to simply buy an used engine with a known-good tranny and swap it in.

Good Luck, what ever you decide to do!

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I ended up picking the bike up for 300 bucks. The motor starts and runs good. The bike hasnt been sitting for long and the registration is still good. I may rebuild the transmission myself over the winter or maybe drop in a good used motor.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
            Transmission problems are generally huge red flags to walk away... The repair will typically run you about $220 - $275 in parts, but over 50 hours in labor, because the whole engine needs to be torn apart down to the very bottom to get at the tranny. Most people decide it's far cheaper & easier to simply buy an used engine with a known-good tranny and swap it in.

Good Luck, what ever you decide to do!

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            50 hours in labour ?

ok i know the fairing lowers and assorted bodywork will have to be removed along with exhaust and carbs to get at the engine (then reassembled after the engine is sorted) but 50 hours strikes me as a bit over the odds...

why does the "whole" engine have to be stripped?? ..
            couldn't you just strip the side cases then access the gearbox by inverting the lot and removing the bottom case, or is there a bolt or two hidden under the cylinder block ??

if there is a hidden bolt, the cost of a "full" gasket kit would probably push the rebuild cost beyond the value of the engine if new gears were required as well
            it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

Originally posted by NiteMare View Post
              50 hours in labour ?
              Suzuki's time manual lists tranny repairs to the 98+ Kats as 18 to 24 man-hours, depending on the problem in the tranny. Figuring a typical home mechanic will take twice as long as a school-trained mechanic, that puts it around 50 hours including runs to the auto parts store (and matches what I've heard from those who have dug into it).

Originally posted by NiteMare View Post
              why does the "whole" engine have to be stripped?? ..
              couldn't you just strip the side cases then access the gearbox by inverting the lot and removing the bottom case, or is there a bolt or two hidden under the cylinder block ??
              You have to split the cases to get where you need to go, and indeed, there is a hidden bolt in the middle of the block.

IMHO: This is a repair reserved for those who want to do it to really learn about the engine inside & out, those who love to tinker for the sake of tinkering (it's actually their hobby to tear down & fix), or those with lots of time but not enough $$ on their hands.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

To me this project will be a learning process to really get to know my bike, if it seems too much to handle, i will just take my time considering i have all winter to fix it. As of right now the shift shaft moves in and out of the gearbox and goes from no tension to stuck and will not shift into anygear besides the one its stuck in (3rd)

Comment

Welcome to KR

Comment

if you have the time and some extra cash go for it
                    2006 Katana 750, Bumble Bee replica
                    Bumblee Bee Tuna

Comment

Leave it in third gear.
                      =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Leave it in third gear.
                        And add Nitro!

sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Welcome, welcome .

Comment

Well if you're up for a road trip (I'm sure shipping would be a pain and pricey) I've got a 91 Kat 600 engine with @29K on the clock that ran just fine. I pulled it for 4K mile 01 750 swap. No carbs, just the engine. Bolt your carbs / starter / alternator on etc and go. Valve cover gasket was replaced and valves were just adjusted before I yanked it.

You come get it I'll let it go for $175

EDIT : When I mean it ran fine, it was my daily driver, used no oil, and knocked down high 40's mpg.

Comment

Wow you guys seem like a really good group of people! About that motor that sounds like a good deal, i may consider a roadtrip, would shipping be too costly?

Comment

Working...
                              X