X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ricotta View Post
    I just finished putting everything back together, but still have these two bolts leftover.

Any idea where they go?

Aren't those the mounting bolts for the blinker fluid reservoir?

Comment

• With the info given
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• I think I figured it out.

I think it was for the bottom of the left fork under the axle, and I had two because I replaced the forks.

Comment

• That makes since..
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran

Comment

• Noticed my forks are leaking, so ordered parts from Tmod.
            2002 750 Kat
            2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
            1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
            2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

• Yup, got a fork oil leak myself. Ordered new crush washers
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

• well, I had to move to a different state and the movers needed an empty fuel tank, so I did.

Few days after the move I decided to go out for a ride, and filling up the tank.

After a bit of struggle with starting the bike, I went for a ride.

The bike did not feel good, rough idle and the power delivery was not smooth at all.

After having figure out that the ignition was good, there was only one option: rebuilding the carbs.

I followed the amazing manual on the wiki section, and spent less than 5 hours of total work spread over two days.

the bike started in less than 10sec cranking after rebuild and now it is a purring kat.

When cleaning I found a lot of deposits which plugged a couple of jets. I suspect that when draining the tank and carb, the deposits ended up in the passages drying out and plugging.

All the seals and components looked in great shape, so I didnt feel the need to replace anything

Comment

• Going to clean out my tank / carbs again. Aparently I had crap in the tank suck into the carbs again.
                  This is the 3rd time in 2 years ive had the carbs completely torn down. ugg.

Runs beautiful for quite some time then sucks junk in from the tank. this time the tank is going to be super cleaned.

Comment

• Rode it for the first time in two years today. Water in the fuel from sitting so long. Finally got off my lazy ass and cleaned the carbs, fuel lines and tank. What a PIA! Runs but has a few issues yet to deal with. Don't neglect your bike.

Comment

• Update: took the carbs off last night and the first carb I came to had silt in the bowl and when I pulled the pilot jet I couldnt see light through it. That would explain why its been riding real rough in the mornings and not wanting to idle without choke for about 10 minutes.
                      Time to start the soak process all over again.
                      Although this time I have placed an OEM fuel filter on the line from the tank to the carbs. Hope that traps the crap. PO had taken the filter out and ran straight line...

Comment

• Tried the kat on the road for the first time to get some fuel in the tank before its test on Friday. It handled like a cow on ice! Guess who forgot to check the air in the tires 😁

Comment

• I check my pressure at least once a month. Even 4 psi or so makes a world of difference.

Comment

• Got my carbs put back on and WOW. I can start without choke and it idles like a dream once more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kat Floyd View Post
                              Got my carbs put back on and WOW. I can start without choke and it idles like a dream once more.
                              I did the same. This was the second time pulling the carbs off to clean since I acquired it almost a year ago. I wish I'd have gone all the way the first time and dipped each carb... Finally runs the way it's supposed to.
                              1993 Suzuki 750 Katana
                              2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650
                              2012 Ski Doo Summit SP 800 ETEC
                              1958 Cessna 182 Skylane

Comment

• I walked past my Kat this morning to get tools to fix my friend's bike. He ran it without oil for a while because he never checked it. I've already split the cases, replaced 3 transmission gears, all the bearings in the motor, the oil seals for all the cases, the valve guides, valves, valve seals, and gaskets. It no longer smokes like it did, but he's eventually going to need a new cylinder and piston. It still wasn't running right. After cleaning the carb, I finally pulled the emulsion tube out, and found a piece of rubber from the air filter in there. Yehaw. Maybe I'll have time to ride the kat later.

Comment

Working...
                                X