What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dano68 View Post
    ^^^Fluid Film^^^
    Never heard of the stuff. I'll have to look into it!

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
    Things actually clean really easily. It's oil, not wax. Wipes right off. And...no...I pretty much never clean my chain. The oil flings off and takes dirt with it
    That's crazy man! I don't think I've ever heard of someone not cleaning their chain. I guess the downside is that your swingarm and rear rim is covered in oil though

Originally posted by cool4kats View Post
    I set my 2nd trip meter to 0 when I clean my chain. I try to clean and lube it between 400 and 600 miles. I got some kerosene from walmart. I put a little in a glass jar and use an old tooth brush to clean the chain. Then I lube it. I lay a big yard trash bag under the whole thing while doing this. I wipe off the chain with a rag before lubing it. If the chain looks a bit dry or I ride in rain I lube the chain as soon as I get home so it can soak in before riding again. Does not fling off when you do that.
    I use Tyrox Chain cleaner (kerosene based as well). Works fantastic, but man does that kerosene smell linger!

What do you lube with? Wax? Aerosol Chain Oil? Heavy-weight gear oil?
    2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
    - Aaron

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
      Never heard of the stuff. I'll have to look into it!

That's crazy man! I don't think I've ever heard of someone not cleaning their chain. I guess the downside is that your swingarm and rear rim is covered in oil though

I use Tyrox Chain cleaner (kerosene based as well). Works fantastic, but man does that kerosene smell linger!

What do you lube with? Wax? Aerosol Chain Oil? Heavy-weight gear oil?
      I use the PJ1 blue label aerosol. Most will fling off if you lube then ride. That is why I usually lube after a ride, so it can soak in and get tacky.

I finally got a chance to go pick up my bike from 150 miles away. A little over two weeks ago a friend crashed as we were leaving my in laws cabin. We left my bike and his bike so that I could drive him home. Went down last week to get the bikes and ended up only getting his. Woke up to snow knee deep and the trailer was covered in ice so I just loaded his bike. I finally got to go down and get the kat back home. Taking parts off that I want to use on my new to me V Strom. After starting the Kat today I am feeling a bit emotional about putting it up for sale but I don't have room for three motorcycles. I just plated my CRF450X also.
      Last edited by cool4kats; 04-24-2015, 08:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Would 75W-140 gear oil be ok for the chain?

Comment

• I pulled my carbs off once again because there is a slight seepage of gas coming from one of them. I'll pull them apart again to see whats wrong this time.
          2005 Harley Davidson Softtail Deuce
          2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R
          1995 Kawasaki GPz1100
          1988 Suzuki GSX1100 Katana
          1983 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

• Originally posted by Kat Floyd View Post
            Would 75W-140 gear oil be ok for the chain?
            I can see 75 not 140 too thick, apply when chain is warm. Like after a ride.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• [QUOTE=Aaron-71;2347670]Never heard of the stuff. I'll have to look into it!

You can pick it up at Canadian Tire or any auto parts supply. not only is it a great lube it is a cleaner as well
              2002 750 Kat
              2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
              2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
              2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
              1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
              2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

• ++++1
                Kerosene to clean chain and fluid film to spray on
                chain.I usually let it soak in for a while and wipe off any excess.

Fluid film video FYI..
                Last edited by loneraider; 04-25-2015, 12:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Just searched Fluid Film and at £12 for an aerosol can I'm afraid it's way out of my league to keep the chain oiled and I will be continuing with spielers solution of a splash of gear oil whenever it is needed.
                  41,000 miles for a chain is testament enough for me.
                  Last edited by carbman; 04-25-2015, 03:59 AM. Reason: missed out a word

Comment

• Lucas also has a chain lube. I've been using it for 5 years no issues.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

• Well, after installing the Yoshi can about two weeks ago, didn't like the popping on decel, so ordered a jet kit. Installed that, and of course cleaned everything while in there. What a huge difference in the mid range as well as throttle response. Also, while i had the carbs out, decided out check the a/f settings. Plugs were still in so drilled them out. Carbs 2,3, and 4 were all just about 1.5 turns out. #1 was fully seated, must have been that way for the last 17 years! obviously bike runs much better now. Also took a shot at syncing after putting carbs back on and setting idle and warming up. So, lots of long overdue maintenance.

Comment

• Originally posted by carbman View Post
                        Just searched Fluid Film and at £12 for an aerosol can I'm afraid it's way out of my league to keep the chain oiled and I will be continuing with spielers solution of a splash of gear oil whenever it is needed.
                        41,000 miles for a chain is testament enough for me.
                        I commute 100 miles a day. So I'm basically lubing it every day. Not quite "as needed." Also, it was a DID x-ring (ie high quality) chain so that helped. Your mileage may vary. I buy a gallon size container of it, and refill a normal 1 qt gear oil bottle from it. Cheaper that way. I go through the bottle every...4 months maybe? So it lasts me ~10k miles. Fluid film might be cheaper depending how much needs to applied and how often.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                          I can see 75 not 140 too thick, apply when chain is warm. Like after a ride.
                          75w-140 is gear oil...
                          Im not asking about either 75 or 140 weight oil.
                          I can get it easy enough.

Comment

• Book states 50w oil, 75w would be thick but, if applied when warm it should work.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

• I can get a 50weight also. I was just wondering because the other guy said he was running 85W-140

Comment

• Lowered the bike an inch today, cleaned the frame, found a bunch of stuff the previous owner had broken. But its ok, more stuff for me to learn about the bike.

Comment

Working...
                                X