No announcement yet.
X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rode it to and from work. Still runs a little rough at idle. Possibly the pilot. It's good to ride again though.

Comment

• I really didn't want to but, I listed the Katmobile on Craigslist. Spent the day making it look pretty, and finish some unfinished things on it.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• Corrected my throttle cables, tried to start up my kat.. but no luck.

Drained my battery trying to start my Kat but had no luck... Not sure what the issue is because I had my Kat running before putting it away last season.
        2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
        - Aaron

Comment

• So that's what a rear suspension is supposed to feel like!

B12 for the win!

Comment

• Went riding. 16 gusting 26 mph winds are entertaining to ride in. Abandoned the expressway and hit the back roads as I didn't want to have to deal with stupid truckers in construction zones AND the wind on the same ride.

Clutch lever was a bit stiff again, so I lubed that up. Noticed that the fork seals are wet (lower on one side, lower and upper on the other side), but not sure if they're actually leaking, or if it was spray from the lubing (it does kind of go everywhere). I'll have to clean that up when it cools down, then go for a ride to see. I won't feel bad if they need overhauled, they've certainly given a lot of time and usage. I'm just not looking forward to doing the work.

Also noticed I've got a smidge of oil weeping out of this bolt (hex key style) looking thing at the "upper front" of the engine. There's one on both sides. Not leaking enough to effect the visible oil level, but enough to get a little gooey oil on the side of the engine. I'll have to see what exactly that is and if it's safe to simply try tightening or if I get to live with it until I end up overhauling the engine.

Comment

• Installed a modded (Tmod) 750 rear shock. Wow that thing is WAYYY heavier than the ugly/useless 600 shock. Just by the weight, you can tell that the 750 shock has a purpose.

With the help of shpielers and arsenic, we figured out that my petcock needs a serious rebuild. Order bearing kits and petcock kits.
              - Aaron

Comment

• Been for a ride into the depths of East Yorkshire.
                A very warm day in early spring here on this side of the pond and the roads were really quiet. Found some state of the art agricultural machinery, housed in state of the art storage area!!
                Really hoping for some good riding weather this year, as pretty well didn't get out much at all last year. (Except to Qatar and China), but not on the KAT!!!
                The winter was spent trying to find the non-running fault, which turned out to be a knackered air filter. Never had that problem before in over 40 years of riding.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by carbman; 04-21-2015, 12:53 PM. Reason: Add text.

Comment

• Cleaned up the swingarm, undercarriage, and the chain/rear sprocket. WOW was my chain dirty and the sprocket along with it.

Probably spent 5 hours cleaning up the back end of my Kat. It was well worth it though!

Put the rear end back together. Chain properly tensioned this time (20-30mm as spec'd by Cyberpoet), rear axle tightened to 48 ft-lbs. Bearings were checked, and they're completely fine. I ordered new bearings, so they'll sit on the shelf for another year at least.

Nitrogen canister mounted in its appropriate spot (Yay for 750 shock!).

Headlights mounted back on bike (Project: I wear oncoming traffic wears sunglasses at night). Wiring harness for HID's started. Headlight switches mounted.

Waiting on waterproof electrical connectors, front + rear bearings, and K&L petcock rebuild kit to come in the mail.

All in a great day's work!

Suggestions for replacing aerosol chain lube? It doesn't seem to do its job very well...
                  - Aaron

Comment

• Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
                    Cleaned up the swingarm, undercarriage, and the chain/rear sprocket. WOW was my chain dirty and the sprocket along with it.

Probably spent 5 hours cleaning up the back end of my Kat. It was well worth it though!

Put the rear end back together. Chain properly tensioned this time (20-30mm as spec'd by Cyberpoet), rear axle tightened to 48 ft-lbs. Bearings were checked, and they're completely fine. I ordered new bearings, so they'll sit on the shelf for another year at least.

Nitrogen canister mounted in its appropriate spot (Yay for 750 shock!).

Headlights mounted back on bike (Project: I wear oncoming traffic wears sunglasses at night). Wiring harness for HID's started. Headlight switches mounted.

Waiting on waterproof electrical connectors, front + rear bearings, and K&L petcock rebuild kit to come in the mail.

All in a great day's work!

Suggestions for replacing aerosol chain lube? It doesn't seem to do its job very well...
                    Busy day!

I use gear oil, 85w-140. Apply every 100-200 miles. Last chain lasted me a little over 41000 miles, just replaced it. Swing arm might get a bit messy, but as far as I'm concerned that's the only drawback.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• I'm the same as spielers! A few drops when it starts to look like it needs it. Keeps my chain smooth in operation.
                      Have no idea how long the chain will last, only done 5000 miles since I bought the bike.

Comment

• Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                        Busy day!

I use gear oil, 85w-140. Apply every 100-200 miles. Last chain lasted me a little over 41000 miles, just replaced it. Swing arm might get a bit messy, but as far as I'm concerned that's the only drawback.
                        Originally posted by carbman View Post
                        I'm the same as spielers! A few drops when it starts to look like it needs it. Keeps my chain smooth in operation.
                        Have no idea how long the chain will last, only done 5000 miles since I bought the bike.
                        Very busy day. Hoping to keep those busy days coming! Got a lot of work left to do on the Kat to get it into ship shape for May.

I don't think I'll be a big fan of using gear oil if it makes a giant mess of the swingarm. Just went through cleaning the swingarm and that wasn't fun at all.

Do you both still clean your chain every 300-500 miles as is generally recommended?
                        - Aaron

Comment

• Ordered a new valve cover to replace the cracked one that was on mine and prepping for frame paint this weekend. Still debating on painting the swingarm stock silver, black, or green.

May have also found a new wiring harness. -fingers crossed-
                          '88 Suzuki GSX1100F streetfighter project

Comment

^^^Fluid Film^^^

Installed GPI unit thanks to GSXFjim, shovel chop, fab license/signal indicator mount, installed power resistors for LED signal indicators(now they blink properly), new tires, new battery, cleaned and lubed chain.
                            2002 750 Kat
                            2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                            2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                            1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                            2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Very busy day. Hoping to keep those busy days coming! Got a lot of work left to do on the Kat to get it into ship shape for May.

I don't think I'll be a big fan of using gear oil if it makes a giant mess of the swingarm. Just went through cleaning the swingarm and that wasn't fun at all.

Do you both still clean your chain every 300-500 miles as is generally recommended?
                              Things actually clean really easily. It's oil, not wax. Wipes right off. And...no...I pretty much never clean my chain. The oil flings off and takes dirt with it
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• I set my 2nd trip meter to 0 when I clean my chain. I try to clean and lube it between 400 and 600 miles. I got some kerosene from walmart. I put a little in a glass jar and use an old tooth brush to clean the chain. Then I lube it. I lay a big yard trash bag under the whole thing while doing this. I wipe off the chain with a rag before lubing it. If the chain looks a bit dry or I ride in rain I lube the chain as soon as I get home so it can soak in before riding again. Does not fling off when you do that.

Comment

Working...
                                X