No announcement yet.
X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changed rh fork seal last May and the lh one started leaving a film two weeks later. My last ride it started making the dust seal wet so finally replaced it and then went for a ride for a couple hours. Upper bushing stayed in the fork leg. I found that a paint can opener works well to work the bushing out of the lower fork leg.

Comment

• Blasted off most of the bugs and road grime accumulated during a 3 1/2 month / 19000 mile trip around Oz. More serious TLC (full service/tune, chain, sprockets, tyres etc.) to follow.

Comment

• Gas was dirt cheap again, so I grabbed a gas can to take while filling up my daily driver. Grabbed another couple gallons in the can, of which the Kat managed to take another .75 gallon (gee, and I thought it was nearly full already).

Comment

• Finally got my racetech springs and emulators installed on the 600. The box has been sitting on a shelf since the beginning of last April...need to reinstall the forks/wheel, looking forward to my next ride!!!
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• Originally posted by shpielers View Post
            Finally got my racetech springs and emulators installed on the 600. The box has been sitting on a shelf since the beginning of last April...need to reinstall the forks/wheel, looking forward to my next ride!!!
            You should have left the emulators out. Then you could give thoughts on how much each upgrade changed the handling.
            One riding season on my Racetech springs. I could not afford to do the emulators though. Springs made a big difference. Actually just an oil change from original (probably) fork oil made a difference.
            Congrats on getting it done. I bet its gonna feel great!

Comment

• There is some work to install the emulators so, it's best to do it all at once if you have them. Biiiig difference
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• Low 40's today so went on an 80 mile ride after cleaning and lubing my chain.

Comment

• Got new rear rubber!

Comment

• Changed the steering stem races and bearings with tapered roller bearings. Getting it put back together today. I have never had a bike torn down this much. A friend came over for some help changing brake pads and looked at my bike with a HOLY SH*T look on his face. Feel pretty good about it but still have to button some things up.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• So far changing those is my least favorite thing. Not easy to do. And more than a little intimidating the first time. Props for getting it done!

Can't tell, (looking from my phone) but were your calipers just hanging by the brake line? If they were, you'll want to support them somehow (blocks, string, zip tie etc)
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

Comment

• Welcome to bike ownership, always something needs some attention. I almost have a full when todo preventive list done, beyond the maintenance schedule. Like change the bearings every 5 years, no matter their wear, exhaust gaskets every 3-4 years, no matter the wear. Just little cheap things that are ignored.
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

• Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                          So far changing those is my least favorite thing. Not easy to do. And more than a little intimidating the first time. Props for getting it done!

Can't tell, (looking from my phone) but were your calipers just hanging by the brake line? If they were, you'll want to support them somehow (blocks, string, zip tie etc)
                          Cut pieces of coat hanger and hung the calipers from the frame.

Rear brake fluid was probably the original so flush the system with new brake fluid. One of the two tank bolts was stripped into the threads of the tank bracket so repaired. The PO had a plugged off the front facing petcock outlet and it started leaking while warming up the bike so repaired. Then noticed one front headlight burned out so now I am off to get a new bulb. Later today will be re installation of the bodywork.
                          Last edited by rschlegel; 01-31-2015, 02:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Sweet, couldn't make out the hangers on a 2x2" screen
                            Sounds like you had a busy weekend. Aren't prior owners lovely?

92 - replacing the exhaust gaskets - you mean from the headers to the engine, or further down from at the collector to muffler? Or all? Never changed those, didn't occur to me that they even might require it. Is that just to prevent exhaust leaks?
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

Comment

• All and yes. I go overboard on maintenance. Just so my mind doesn't worry on long rides. Most I know are 90-100 miles from me.
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran

Comment

• I would guess that changing the exhaust gaskets that often would help against broken exhaust studs.
                                Hey 92, have you ever had problems with the studs when you change them that often?

Comment

Working...
                                X