X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busy day...

Test fit my new pit stands. Rear stand works great! Which is good since I'll probably be using that a ton! Front stand in pin mode kind of pushes on some bodywork. Probably won't use it that way unless the body is off. Fork lift mode looks like it'll work, but it is a little tougher to line up. Good news is that a front stand is not something I foresee much use for.

Lubed the clutch cable and it no longer requires a rock climber's grip to disengage. Whether it's all the way back to "normal" or not, I dunno, don't have anything compare with! That'll make riding more pleasant this year. Chain also cleaned and lubed. It was VERY nasty.

When I went to grab the bike from storage though, the front brake lever was stuck and the bike wouldn't roll (so apparently the brakes were stuck on somehow). Gave the lever a couple quick pulls and it felt like it moved a little off-axis. After that the the lever worked perfectly normal (as did the brakes). Wondering if there's something funky with the master cylinder? I had an absolutely horrible time bleeding it after the caliper rebuild procedure last year. Brakes worked perfect for me on every ride after the rebuild, but the (actual certified) mechanic that did my tire swap said they stuck for him (he dropped the bike off back at my house with the calipers dangling from bungees because he couldn't get them to go back on). I had no problems putting the calipers back on and checked the brakes a bunch of times after varying temperature/conditions before putting it in storage. Could not duplicate. Dunno. Guess I'll stick close to home until I get that figured out.

Bought my oil for the oil change (last thing on my "must be done before riding" list), but haven't been able to scare up a filter or a drain plug seal yet. Drain plug is not leaking, but I see it's a required element in the manual. I don't bother on my cars, since it's never been an issue, but with the drain located right in front of a wheel on the motorcycle, I figure it's more important...

Comment

• Originally posted by 1LE View Post
      Busy day...

Test fit my new pit stands. Rear stand works great! Which is good since I'll probably be using that a ton! Front stand in pin mode kind of pushes on some bodywork. Probably won't use it that way unless the body is off. Fork lift mode looks like it'll work, but it is a little tougher to line up. Good news is that a front stand is not something I foresee much use for.

Lubed the clutch cable and it no longer requires a rock climber's grip to disengage. Whether it's all the way back to "normal" or not, I dunno, don't have anything compare with! That'll make riding more pleasant this year. Chain also cleaned and lubed. It was VERY nasty.

When I went to grab the bike from storage though, the front brake lever was stuck and the bike wouldn't roll (so apparently the brakes were stuck on somehow). Gave the lever a couple quick pulls and it felt like it moved a little off-axis. After that the the lever worked perfectly normal (as did the brakes). Wondering if there's something funky with the master cylinder? I had an absolutely horrible time bleeding it after the caliper rebuild procedure last year. Brakes worked perfect for me on every ride after the rebuild, but the (actual certified) mechanic that did my tire swap said they stuck for him (he dropped the bike off back at my house with the calipers dangling from bungees because he couldn't get them to go back on). I had no problems putting the calipers back on and checked the brakes a bunch of times after varying temperature/conditions before putting it in storage. Could not duplicate. Dunno. Guess I'll stick close to home until I get that figured out.

Bought my oil for the oil change (last thing on my "must be done before riding" list), but haven't been able to scare up a filter or a drain plug seal yet. Drain plug is not leaking, but I see it's a required element in the manual. I don't bother on my cars, since it's never been an issue, but with the drain located right in front of a wheel on the motorcycle, I figure it's more important...
      Somebody calling themselves a mechanic... put tires on and brought your bike to you with the calipers hanging from cords...... this really doesn't look good for him and I wouldn't let him work on a potato gun lol.
      You know your a KatRider when you sell a nearly new perfectly running low miles bike... and buy a 13 year old non running Katana.

Comment

• Did an oil change, fired her up and rode it for the first time this season! It's been a long winter!

Comment

• Started my first valve adjustment. Running into a couple small snags but not too bad. Ran out of light and no work light so will be back at it tomorrow. found that the one bolt at the front of the valve cover right behind the oil cooler was not there and there is enough sealant on the old valve cover gasket that I am thinking I need to get a new one. Other than that it was kinda relaxing working on it. Actual adjusting to begin tomorrow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xrayron View Post
            Somebody calling themselves a mechanic... put tires on and brought your bike to you with the calipers hanging from cords...... this really doesn't look good for him and I wouldn't let him work on a potato gun lol.
            It sounds a lot worse that it really was. He really is a mechanic, and a good one at that. However, he knows that I do most of my own work and that I had just done the brake caliper rebuild (so I'd want to see what was going on). We were also on a tight timeframe with getting him the bike and then getting it back to me. I only needed him to mount the tires on the rims and the only reason I gave him the whole bike (pickup and delivery with a nice enclosed trailer) was the fact that (at that time) I didn't have any way to lift the bike and get the wheels off at home.

I have similar arrangements with the guys that I ship my cars out to for work. It's normally just a specific procedure that I don't have equipment for, and then I'll take care of everything else when they get it back to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1LE View Post
              It sounds a lot worse that it really was. He really is a mechanic, and a good one at that. However, he knows that I do most of my own work and that I had just done the brake caliper rebuild (so I'd want to see what was going on). We were also on a tight timeframe with getting him the bike and then getting it back to me. I only needed him to mount the tires on the rims and the only reason I gave him the whole bike (pickup and delivery with a nice enclosed trailer) was the fact that (at that time) I didn't have any way to lift the bike and get the wheels off at home.

I have similar arrangements with the guys that I ship my cars out to for work. It's normally just a specific procedure that I don't have equipment for, and then I'll take care of everything else when they get it back to me.
              Oh ok that sounds more understandable.
              You know your a KatRider when you sell a nearly new perfectly running low miles bike... and buy a 13 year old non running Katana.

Comment

• finally got a new clutch rod in and installed it along with new sprocket cover that was cracked and new chain and sprockets from GSFXJim, shifts and rides way better, next up in a fork seal job on it, been leaking oil since i bought last year and now i have to be careful or I will bottom out on bumps and dips
                1999 Suzuki Katana 750F

Comment

• Snowing today so it was relaxing to finish up doing my 1st valve adjustment. The most forward valve cover bolt was missing so local salvage yard let me rob one off another motor while they made an extended clutch cable for me. Installed the new clutch cable and some new spark plugs whle buttoning up the valve adjustment. Decided to change out the fuel filter and fuel lines cracked so put new fuel lines on also

Comment

• Last weekend I completed a front brake caliper service/rebuild. Bought the seals kit from Ebay and a brake-bleed kit locally - took about 30 mins and changed the brake oil whilst I was at it. A great big thank you to all the guys here who provided the very useful 'How To' information.
                    I don't know what I want but I know how to get it.

Comment

• I put new wheel bearings and tires on today. I bought the tires from Motorcycle superstore and had a local guy with his own shop mount and balance them for 15 each. I noticed that the wheel bearings had a ruff feeling, so for tires mounted, wheel bearings and labor to install them it came to $112.00. He also did the valve stems too.

To bad its raining today otherwise I would have taken it out to a nearby parking lot to scrub the tires up and do some spring maneuvers to freshen up my skills.

Comment

• rode it 150 miles to buy an oil filter.
                        never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

• Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                          rode it 150 miles to buy an oil filter.

Dang!! Now I order them in pairs off amazon just in case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Xrayron View Post
                            Dang!! Now I order them in pairs off amazon just in case.
                            I can get them locally.
                            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

• ordered a yuasa battery, EK X-ring metallic blue 530 chain, emgo air filter, blue flush mount cat eye front turn signals, shorty mirrors, exhaust gaskets, plugs, oil, and an oil filter. Now all I gotta do is get this CBR rebuilt while I wait for my parts to come in the mail so I can get to Ol' Black Betty. I miss her.
                              My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

• Valve adjustment and carb sync. Much smoother. Carbs somehow got more out of sync than usual this time so syncing again definitely took out some vibrations.
                                1998 Katana 750
                                1992 Katana 1100
                                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
                                X