No announcement yet.
X

What did you do to your Kat today?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I rode mine for about 30 minutes. It was quite a feat since it hasn't been ridden steady since 2009. Carbs were messed up. Paint looks like crap but I really enjoyed taking it around the neighborhood for a little spin.
    --- 1992 Katana stolen from San Antonio ---
    --- Bought a 1996 Katana 600 ---

Comment

• Originally posted by Bl@ck_Kat View Post
      Thanks to Christ, the airbox is back on and everything looks good. Onto the next issues. So the bike only starts with starting fluid...ie, fuel blockage somewhere. Will be checking the petcock and tank for blockages as well as confirming the tank is free of vacuum preventing fuel flow. The other SUPER WEIRD ISSUE is that when starting the bike in neutral, it will jump into second gear. However, if I start the bike in first, it stays where it is. Any thoughts on this?
      If the tank isn't full, just pull the petcock and clean the filter screen and blow the flow hole out with compressed air, check for crap in the tank, and replace the fuel line with a clear one while you're doing work. The clear line helps to diagnose fuel issues. Also clean the vent tubes out with a long wire or bore brush. IIRC, there are two... one under the cap, and one that terminates into a hose under the tank.

Have you checked your float bowls for fuel yet? Did you set the tank to "PRI" for 20 seconds before trying to start it? (Starting it on ether once or twice isn't always enough to let the petcock drain fuel down with the vacuum valve.)

If you just cleaned/rebuilt the carbs, and you have confirmed flow through the hose into the carb inlet line, try tapping the sides of the carbs with a knife handle or something firmly. Sometimes new needles will stick. I always spray them with silicone lubricant on assembly to prevent that, even though I've been told by 1,000 people not to. Nobody has ever given me a good reason.

The only things I can think of that would cause it to kick into 2 from N on startup is the detent spring on the splined shift shaft, or a worn selector drum with too much play in it. Try kicking it into N from 2 instead of going up from 1 and see what happens then.
      Disclaimer: If what I say seems condescending to you, it's probably not. I don't know (or care) if someone already knows something I'm saying, because for every person that does know, 100 lurkers may not. No offense is intended, but feel free to take it.

2001 Katana 750 'fighter build in progress

Comment

• Went out to look for a tyre shop. Got the wrong adress from a colleague so I continued to ride for another 80 or so kms.
        Open your mind, freedom's a state.

sigpic

When in doubt, lean more.

Comment

• Sat on it in the garage, lookin out at the rain making Vroom vroom noises with a sad face.
          "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time!" - Tolstoy

Comment

• Originally posted by VampV View Post
            Sat on it in the garage, lookin out at the rain making Vroom vroom noises with a sad face.

Jus sayn...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

• LMAO Thanx Krey but i am a 100% fair weather rider.
              The rain here wasnt a few sprinkles..but a downpour.
              Not gonna happen with this old rider.
              HAHA.

Thanx tho.
              "The two most powerful warriors are patience and time!" - Tolstoy

Comment

• Fixed my headlight that was such a pain for a few weeks...It would work fine then not without warning.

So I have my lights working properly now. It turns out the thumb starter switch is tied to the headlight. When you turn on the key and hit the start switch there is a headlight kill so all the power can go to the starter. If it is corroded or gummed up with dirt etc it will not allow the headlight to come back on. Open up the switch housing, clean it up and it should work with no problem. If you don't want to do it yourself, take it to the dealer and it should cost no more than about $30 if you specify to them what is wrong.
                sigpic"Ya hafta stop to get a drink once in a while" - WalkRunRide.

Comment

• Rode it for the first time in a week or so.

Got soooooooooo many looks from all the hotties today. Class is back in session at university... what could be better than getting eyed up by all the arm candy on the first day back? Nothing.
                  2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
                  - Aaron

Comment

• looked at it, walk by it, shut the door and went in for a beer. She needs to think about what she did wrong.

Comment

• Ditto lol

Oh and bandit arm arrived... Might be a tight fit...but that how I like it...

If your not cutting it's not custom...right? Or if your cutting it's a pia... Either way

Lol
                      1995 Suzuki Katana 750 (Undergoing changes)
                      1982 Honda GL500 Silverwing(Sold)
                      Project Death Machine (Custom built reverse trike by me)

Comment

• I'm going to be trying to get mine working again finally. Got some mercury and a vacuum gauge and gonna go to town on my carbs

Comment

• Put the Painted swing arm back on, cleaned a bit of the underside, new sprocket on the painted hub and removed the cover to the front sprocket.. Need a 20mm socket now... Claned it up in there though, was durrrty!
                          "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

Comment

• Left my airbox disconnected when a haboob (bad dust storm) came through

Comment

• Rode mine to work for the 2nd time ever. With all the recent changes I seem to like riding it more. Hope that doesnt' wear off
                              Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

• Originally posted by Sacrificeeternal View Post
                                Left my airbox disconnected when a haboob (bad dust storm) came through
                                That's not how you clean carbs, silly...
                                Disclaimer: If what I say seems condescending to you, it's probably not. I don't know (or care) if someone already knows something I'm saying, because for every person that does know, 100 lurkers may not. No offense is intended, but feel free to take it.

2001 Katana 750 'fighter build in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X