X

Rain causes stall?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain causes stall?

I left my bike out in the rain 2 days ago, uncovered, as I was out of town. When I went to start it yesterday it turns over but then dies before you can throw the choke on to give it some power. I just tried again this morning... same thing. What can I do? Would leaving it in the rain, it rained for about 8 hrs that day - doh! - cause this?

Good question....i don't know what answer but i'm looking forward to finding out what it is. i did hear that the Kat has some of the best gauges as far as being water resistant. i hope its nothing major.
    Godspeed
    CSBA #1167
    Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

Maybe. Or maybe the carb bowls were just dry. Turn it on PRIME for about 30 seconds then try again.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

My hubby sprays WD40 on something- wiring I would imagine? (hey! I'm just a girl)
        Start every day with a smile and get it over with - WC Fields

Comment

Never had a problem starting the Kat after a heavy downpour - she''s a true outdoor Kat (not covered). Could just need to be primed a few seconds after sitting. You don't say how old the bike is Enjay, but could also be wet wires, tired spark plugs, etc. I usually give a 1/4 choke, one or 2 twists of throttle, then hit the start button - fires right up. Hope you get her running.
          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Mine has gotten caught in the rain for hours like that and what ive found out...

1) yes they do have good gauges, treat the rubber surrounds with vasolene to keep them good.

2) Prime for 30 secs, turn the choke on b4 you try to start, and play with the throttle while hitting the start button , somewhere in there it will fire up (correct mixture of air/fuel/luck?

3) walmarts moto covers aint worth a shiat, build a plywood shed with duct tape roof would have to be better.....shshshs WALMART
            Currently Riding:
            1995 Katana 600
            V&H Exhaust
            Jet Kit

SOLD
            2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
            1987 XV700 Bobber
            REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

I think there's just too many variables right now (including that you might have killed the battery trying to get it turned over).

Make sure the plug wires are making a good connection, set the bike to PRIME and try again... then let us know how you make out.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

That used to happen to my Ford Mustang, from running into deep water puddles and the plugs would get wet. Car will stall then won't start until it drys out... Or spray those starter fluid into the intake...

I would guess most likely your Kat's issue is with the spark plugs not firing, since the engine does crank.
                sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Rain shouldn't have any effect unless the fairings are missing or you've got exposed connectors, especially in as much as you didn't ride in the rain (lord knows I've gone through 3 - 4 hours of pouring rain at a pop without a hick-up). About the only exception is the kill switch as a source of problems, but you implied it did turn over & catch, so that shouldn't be it.

I'd be much more inclined to believe the fuel in the carbs evaporated off (partially) and left behind some gummy residues, and heavier compounds that don't want to burn off, and once you manage to burn off that crud, it'll clear right up. Oh, and +1 on using the PRIME setting temporarily to refill the bowls.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It started up once the sun was on it for a few hours, that's never happened before so I figure I'd ask around. How do you go about priming it? I'm assuming that's the same as like... using the prime on a lawnmower? lol I could be wrong but an explanation of it could help... thanks!

Comment

et's see if I can make this petcock thing make more sense for you.

Behind the pick-up screens (green in my pictures) are two tubes, one short (the reserve/prime tube) and one tall (the standard ON tube).

The petcock acts as a three position switch comprising two pick-ups and two fuel passages.

In position "ON", the system selects the taller fuel pick-up tube, and routes it through a passage that only gets opened by engine vacuum pulling a rubber diaphram open (the rubber diaphram is normally held closed by a weak spring).

In the position "RES", the system selects the shorter fuel pick-up tube, and routes it through the same passage with the vacuum diaphram.

In the position "PRIME", the system selects the shorter fuel pick-up and shunts the fuel through a straight pipe that by-passes the vacuum diaphram.

The engine doesn't produce sufficient vacuum to open up the diaphram until the engine is turning at least 500 RPM or so. This vacuum is created by the intake valves to the cylinder opening while the piston is moving downwards, which causes the air to be sucked through the carb (which is also where the vacuum pick-up is located). When the engine isn't spinning, there is no vacuum in the line to the petcock; as the starter turns the engine, it produces low levels of vacuum, and once it fires (sucessfully catching), the vacuum levels climb.

Since the carbs normally had fuel when you shut the bike down, there is normally no immediate need for additional fuel flow at start-up, unless the fuel in the carbs has been evaporated or emptied somehow. Thus, the fact that the petcock is in the ON or RES position when you start is normally irrelevant because there's enough reserve in the carbs. Once the engine starts, fuel will start flowing through the petcock and refilling the carbs as their levels drop. In cases where the carbs are empty or low on fuel for whatever reason, it makes sense to use the PRI (Prime) setting to flow fuel to the carbs to refill them before trying to start, then to switch back to the ON or RES position.
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks CyberPoet! I'm gonna print out your diagram and give it a shot.

Comment

Wow CP, that's very clear and understandable! Thanks for the education!
                          sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Working...
                          X